Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
All of my breed on the said sites are selling for the same price and again any one with a oonce of common sense would surely question why a certain litter was cheaper than all the rest.
To be honest if someone questioned my ethics by put the litter on a free ad site after I'd told them about the health checks etc they probably wouldn't get a pup from me its a two way street after all.
I feel I dont have to justify were I choose to sell my pups and the same goes for the buyer.
If they want to go the KC site (im on there as well by the way) thats there perrogative but I doublt they'll be getting a healthier or better reared pup.

But if they are uneducated in the ethics of good breeding they will not question why one litter is more expensive than other..and human nature will go for the cheapest ..

You see them all the time, Boxers / Rottis /staffies in their abundance , £350 /400 , if you are clued up enough to know that is cheap for a pedigree dog, you will be clued up enough to know the old saying ,you get what you pay for!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But if they are uneducated in the ethics of good breeding they will not question why one litter is more expensive than other..and human nature will go for the cheapest ..

You see them all the time, Boxers / Rottis /staffies in their abundance , £350 /400 , if you are clued up enough to know that is cheap for a pedigree dog, you will be clued up enough to know the old saying ,you get what you pay for!!

You do don't you.
trilby
New Member!
Female 

10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Just to add my penny worth on a subject extremely close to home as we have just brought a fab puppy from one of the previous posts - but..........I had not bought a puppy as an adult so did all the internet searches first - found the breed club, spoke to them (actually spoke to 3 breed clubs before decided what breed we definetly wanted), met with several of them at a show,was advised how to tell a good breeder,spoke to several breeders to ask how the puppy was breed ( and actually the KC info was really good for a first time adult buyer) cross referenced the breeder who had advertsied with KC and breed club and all the pup websites ( to check prices, standards, what should be included in puppy pack etc), met puppy at 4 weeks, did an ineternet search on parents and pedigree and by them felt that we would be getting an ethical puppy - as a first time buyer it is EXTREMELY hard to get to know people who recommended/know of good breeders and therefore find a good dog. I found using the web based adverts very useful to get a feel of what was avialable - and point me in the direction of breed clubs etc
just my expereince
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I have no problem with good breeders advertising in local papers, in fact i wish it would happen more.

My first ever dog, with my boyfriend was bought from a paper and later realised i had been conned completely. It wasn't kc registered and i believed every word this lady told us. If someone could have given me some good genuine advice i may have been wiser. (there was no computer in those days) and i had never heard about dog shows etc or breed clubs. But i think there are still loads of people who go straight to a paper when looking for there first dog.

Most of what is advertised is rubbish breeders and a novice just getting into there first dog would ring a few and hopefully the good one would give them some excellent advice and they may get some good knowledge that way.

When i was looking for my newfoundland (jess) i telephoned the club and was given several contacts only. All hundreds of miles away and when telephoning them, they either didn't have a colour/sex i was interested in and on closer checking out by friends they were a few that i wouldn't touch with a barge pole and that was from club listed puppies. As it happens i know people in the breed and they helped me sieve out the rubbish.

I looked on several internet sites and checked adverts out, i didn't find any good enough, but if i had i would have gone and had a look. I purchased jess through recommendations and drove to scotland to get her. But that is something i have learned and would never have done with my first dog.

Quite often people don't have a clue and turn to the papers as a first point of call, it would be nice if there first dog did not come from a puppy farm but came from a loving breeder who would help them to raise a fantastic dog.
Meg
Supervisor

11-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
And I think if breeders are selling pups doesn't matter where they advertise, its upto the breeder I believe to ensure the pups go to good homes.
Hi kcjacks, do your really think many of the people who advertise on free sites give a dam where the puppies go, they are only interested in the money .
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
I have 2 ads running at the minute, as despite the list's and the fact I have 2 litter's. I had lots of dog's born this year,and only 3 bitches. And some have gone from wanting brindle to wanting red's and the other way round, I believe the only way of ethical breeders to find homes is to build up lists and without advertising how will they know if you have puppies if like me you haven't been able to get out to do much showing this year,(due to health problems)
Hi ZB it rather begs the question why did you have two litters at once? Surely it is better to have a list with more people wanting puppies than you can provide for so you don't have to resort to free adds ,you can then recommend them to someone reputable from the breed club who will be having a litter.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi kcjacks, do your really think many of the people who advertise on free sites give a dam where the puppies go, they are only interested in the money .
Hi ZB it rather begs the question why did you have two litters at once? Surely it is better to have a list with more people wanting puppies than you can provide for so you don't have to resort to free adds ,you can then recommend them to someone reputable from the breed club who will be having a litter.

I have a list Mini as said at the beginning I've 32 people on it, but I run the ad for the simple reason as when they lists goes down people will know im here, I've had 2 inquires from people that is all, and as I said inquires one from Wales and one from Belfast, the one from Wales wanted brindle, all my brindles have homes, the one from Belfast wanted red I've only one red and white boy left so I can't help there I either, and tbh as long as we as breeders ensure our puppies go to good homes I don't think it has much to do with people were The advert is, and to tar everyone with the same brush has totally amazed me, as I have been on her 18mths or so, and encountered some predudices but this thread has me gob smacked as some people are able to find ethical breeder's on these site's so now as far as I have seen you can be ethical down to the last word, except from were you advertise and if that makes me unethical well so be it.

I don't need to justifiy myself to anyone on here, Myself and MS have had some good comment's and if you need to bash a Breeder bash anyway,I can take it, but to bash for the simple reason of wher people advertise is daft.
Meg
Supervisor

11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
The free ads are full of dodgy dealers but the fact is it's often the place where novice or less well informed people look first. I don't believe I'm the only person who thought breed clubs were only for show dogs.

Legitimacy is irrelevant as these sites are already where most people are going to find a pup and until that's changed they'll be the best place for actually making a difference.

How could posting an informative and educational ad in these places do anything but good????

J

PS Not having a go at you Mini but I thought quoting your post would help me to make my counter points clearer.
Hi Mothership yes it is often the place where novice owners go first.

One of the reason many of us post on Dogsey is post information which may be of help to novice owners. Remember hundreds of people read the forums here daily without actually posting themselves hopefully some find the information contained here helpful.
Say for instance someone is looking for a puppy and reads this thread and sees the majority of posters think the free adds are a good place to look for a puppy, where are they going to go for a puppy? Hopefully having read about the breed clubs/codes of ethics/ they may now approach a breed club instead of the free adds.

I think my point about not giving legitamcy to the free adds sites is relevant. Where do you think the puppy farmers and BYB advertise? I would not want to share the same space with them.

Sorry I didn't answer the last point.
How could posting an informative and educational ad in these places do anything but good????
Yes I think if the breed clubs posted in the free adds to suggest alternative sources for those seeking a puppy it would be a very good idea .
''Looking for a **** puppy, contact the **** for an approved list of breeders with health tested puppies''
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree Mini..

I admit I do look in the freeads and then wonder why I did as it just makes me angry!!
People shouldn't breed one litter if they don't have homes for all the dogs they may have!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I agree Mini..

I admit I do look in the freeads and then wonder why I did as it just makes me angry!!
People shouldn't breed one litter if they don't have homes for all the dogs they may have!
If this is aimed at me, read my post's above Mini's
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Mothership ''Looking for a **** puppy, contact the **** for an approved list of breeders with health tested puppies''
Thats a good idea...
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 30 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »