register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Most breeds don't have a massive split though do they, to the point where working and show types look like entirely different breeds. Do Rotties have a breed split in terms of physical difference between working and show types? I don't know...
not in my experiance, most of the working dogs have a very good type, conforming to standard.

like I say the biggest problem is the byb, there breeding so often sticks out a mile.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
It does Seem to go quite quickly in Collies, But in my Experince it can Pops back up again all over the place in different lines, 5 gen removed etc

Although Because of the Work/Terrain Etc, Your Dogs need to be Very full on, if you had fewer Softer sheep in a field or two, then a less intense dog may be ok.

In all dogs i like intensity & Drive & power. I actually quite like the piccy of the working lines lab, looks bloody fast but dosent look much like a lab!

Im Training a working Lines Lab at the moment, OMG shes so Smart, as switched on as a collie!!!!!
Doesn't look like a Lab...exactly. What is the point in having function without the form? besides, Labs are not supposed to be speedy rockets that are highly strung. They should be calm and steady and have the build and type that makes a Labrador, a Labrador! you can have the best of both worlds with a dual purpose dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
not in my experiance, like I say the biggest problem is the byb, there breeding so often sticks out a mile.
Well that is the biggest problem of them all right there...compartively show and working bred dogs are the minority compared to BYB and puppy mill bred dogs.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Devils Advocate:

Is it easier for some breeds to be dual purpose than others, due to the kind of work they do?
I would agree with that. I guess you are coming from the collie side here...I'm guessing that there are not many show bred BC's that have a lot of success in the field?

On the other hand with Labs, there are completely show bred dogs competing (and winning) at Field Trial level. I don't know about Spaniels.

So you are right.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I think if you look at breeds that are still used for thier origonal purpose - there are peope into the breed who are showing, but also want the dog to be able to work....then there are the people who need the dog to do the job without worrying about whats the looks are like. These people are going to get pups from dogs that they know out working, probably bred by people who are not worried about looks at all in breeding, just the work attitude.
Possibly thats where the changes starts to come in?

Just mutterings really...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think if you look at breeds that are still used for thier origonal purpose - there are peope into the breed who are showing, but also want the dog to be able to work....then there are the people who need the dog to do the job without worrying about whats the looks are like. These people are going to get pups from dogs that they know out working, probably bred by people who are not worried about looks at all in breeding, just the work attitude.
Possibly thats where the changes starts to come in?

Just mutterings really...
I think right, thats why we see the biggest diff in dogs that still do work,
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think right, thats why we see the biggest diff in dogs that still do work,
Probably, but I'm still in the "life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog" camp.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Probably, but I'm still in the "life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog" camp.
I guess it comes down to what is important to you. I like everything about my dogs - and my chosen breed (being BC's there is SO much diversity - even in the 3 I have owned....not to mention the ones that Mum has) Its also something I happen to like about them.

(Just remembered this...although Tassle Is believed to be a cross)

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 05:31 PM
classic
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't doubt that it could physically, but will it have the same work ethic (mentally) as the other? I am not saying it won't (as I don't know a great deal about the differences between working and show Labs), just interested. It seems that if show dog to show dog to show dog etc is bred, then the work ethic disappears after a few generations (in collies anyway).
Yep, I think it could. Problem with most show dogs, is that there will never be given a chance.
Page 8 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »