View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I put gnasher on Ignore two years ago when she last did her `I have a wolf dog that stalks the silent forest with me and is capable of killing the predators (OK sheep) therefore I must use the Magic Button of Power .. blah blah blah `
Try it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I put gnasher on Ignore two years ago when she last did her `I have a wolf dog that stalks the silent forest with me and is capable of killing the predators (OK sheep) therefore I must use the Magic Button of Power .. blah blah blah `
Try it.

LOL LOL LOL - love the way you word things, am laughing out loud. Not that this thread is remotely funny but you have summed up the tone of the OP so well, I think.

SUGGESTION:

How about we all ignore this thread unless and until the OP answers the questions posed by WILBAR and several others?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Try it.
I'm aware of Gnasher's views on wolves/dogs/the "wolfman" etc but do you mean this isn't the first time Gnasher's used an ecollar on her dogs?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Great idea, might see you around crufts at some point.
I'm there Sat and Sun, are you there then?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
LOL LOL LOL - love the way you word things, am laughing out loud. Not that this thread is remotely funny but you have summed up the tone of the OP so well, I think.

SUGGESTION:

How about we all ignore this thread unless and until the OP answers the questions posed by WILBAR and several others?
Thanks Tabitha ~ I'm trying to be optimistic/give Gnasher the benefit of doubt in that maybe the reason my posts have gone unanswered is that I usually post in the mornings & Gnasher seems to mainly post in the evenings. So maybe the reason she doesn't reply to me is that my posts are buried under pages of others by the time she gets round to replying?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Try it.
LOL-----I have Zeff tonight---do I need a magic button----will he kill me as I sleep???

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I have a few questions for you Gnasher..
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
After over 40 years of owning dogs, I have learned to never say “never” and to always keep an open mind.

We rescued Ben, son of our previous dog Hal, about 6 months ago. To start with, all was not too bad, the two males, Ben and Tai, seemed to bond well etc. etc.

However, things took an extremely bad turn for the worse. Ben went for my husband, did not bite him, but it was serious. It was due to Ben having had a very bad first 3 years of life where clearly he had not only been kept on a running line in the back garden, but had been beaten, kicked or struck in some way, following someone grabbing his collar and then hurting him. OH took hold of his collar too robustly, and Ben went for him.
In view of Ben's history and your 40 years of experience with dogs, do you think grabbing the collar of an abused /fearful dog who was likely to have very little trust in humans was the correct thing to do and what allowances were made for his past.

In addition to this, he and Tai were having terrible fights, serious fights where Tai always got injured.
what steps did you take to introduce and integrate the dogs .

On top of this, Ben started to run off, having previously been pretty obedient off lead. He never ran away, just ran off.
So if Ben didn't run away he always returned then. Why do you think he started to run off, what steps did you take to build trust with Ben an abused dog and to reinforce his returning to you..
Over the last 6 or so months, we have tried everything. We have consulted several dog trainers and behaviourists in the area and beyond, and we have explored every single training technique, knowing they would not work, but still desperate to give them a go and succeed.
what was suggested/what did you try/how did you know they wouldn't work.

We were staring failure in the face – Ben was going to have to be kept on the lead the whole time, a fate that I am afraid I would not inflict on any dog, certainly a dog who had been confined to a running line in the back garden for 3 years.
.... and what a defeatists attitude particularly when you say at one stage Ben was ok off the lead. Why couldn't you do what other people do and let Ben off lead in secure contained areas where there is no stock. Why does it have to be all or nothing for this poor dog.

One of the trainers suggested an e-collar. I was dead against it, nobody was going to electrocute MY dog, I would not have done to my dog what I would not like done to myself, etc. etc. However, my husband was adamant, he has done a lot of research and reading up and talked to several people who had used an e collar successfully to train their dogs not to chase sheep – we live in serious sheep country here in Northamptonshire – and as he is the one who does the exercising during the week and the general dog care, and has to go searching for Ben every day when he runs off, I really was not in a position to do much about it. He borrowed an e collar with full instructions and a video and to demonstrate to me how safe the device was, he strapped it round his arm and told me to put the collar through its paces. I used the pager device, which is just a vibration then I used the “stim”, set to the lowest setting. I was very very uncomfortable doing this, as I am terrified of electricity, but he told me to keep doing it until we got to the higher levels, when he shrieked and jumped! I dropped the controller unit and burst into tears, I was so upset, and told him never ever ever to use it on Ben, except on the vibrate. He explained to me that he was just winding me up – he has a very black sense of humour – and it hadn’t hurt at all, it was static electricity not current, just like you get when you touch a metal filing cabinet or your car, but I wasn’t convinced. I was extremely concerned, but even I could see we had no choice, unless we were to keep Ben on the lead the whole time, which is just not an option.
..you were so convinced the other methods would not work, why should the e collar be different? Is it because it offered the chance of a quick fix instead of hard work?

So, last Wednesday, Ben wore the collar. As was his wont, the git ran away into the sheep field (currently empty of sheep) on the edge of the wood. OH did his usual thing of calling, whistling, following him with Tai as fast as he could run, but Ben took no notice whatsoever,
I am not surprised, Ben went to bite your husband so clearly there is little trust there and it would be natural for him to wish to escape humans who have caused him pain.
so he used the vibrate on low. Nothing. He turned it up to the maximum rumble, absolutely nothing, Ben kept on running. He had the stim set to the very lowest, and so pressed the stim button, nothing. He gradually turned up the level and pressed the button (not continuously, just a split second nip), still nothing. He went higher to 30, 50, and at 50 Ben merely shook his head but kept on running. OH went all the way to the maximum, when eventually Ben screeched to a halt, looked at the dot in the far distance behind which was OH trying to catch up with him, and came galloping back to him! He had massive praise, his Fish 4 Dogs treat, and Mike turned round and walked back out of the field into the wood, and the walk proceeded. Ben carried on doing his thing, until they reached a patch of ground the other side of the wood where Ben always runs off. This day was no different. Mike went through the routine of pager, nothing. Stim on low setting, nothing, until he got up to about 80, when Ben yelped and came galloping back to massive hugs and rewards.

He has not run away at all since that day last Wednesday. He is still the same old Ben, still arsey, still grumbles if you try to make him do something he does not want to do, still bounds joyfully round the woods, greeting friends old and new, he is exactly the same dog … except he now comes when he is called.

On Saturday, we took Ben, me and OH and Tai, back to these same woods. The dog did not put a foot wrong. He was actually a bit quiet, and I was very worried that he was traumatised, psychologically damaged, and gave OH a hard time. The next day, Sunday, we went to Harlestone Firs on the edge of Northampton, and there was Ben roaring around having a whale of a time, greeting all and sundry, but every time I whistled “Ben! Come!” he would come running back to me, skidding to a halt in his haste to be obedient and get his praise and his Fish 4 Dogs.

And don’t think it is the treats – treats alone meant nothing, he loves his treats, but he loved being a hobo more. Now, thanks to the e collar he has the best of both worlds. I frankly cannot see anything wrong in this, we had an extreme situation, a situation which would have taken YEARS to train the dog out of, during which time he would most likely have been shot by a sheep farmer or got run over. He’s the same old Ben, arsey, naughty, playful, greedy, disobedient … but he COMES when he is called. Not always the perfect recall that you will get from a high obedience dog, but a nice recall which is more than good enough for me!

I will probably get castigated for this, but I am not ashamed of what my hubby has done - I wanted to present the "other side" of the e collar debate. There are very exceptional circumstances IMO when it can be justified.
There are no 'exceptional circumstances' to Ben's behaviour that I can see or that you have told us about just a fearful abused dog who runs off. I have news for you Gnasher that is normal behaviour for many dogs and understandable for a dog like Ben. I personally don't believe an abused and fearful dog can have a behaviour permanently and successfully changed by a few carelessly administered painful shocks. I doubt we will get a true picture of the real consequences of your actions in any updates . You have previously admitted to twisting the truth to suit your needs and are unlikely to admit you are wrong, or to anything which doesn't fit in with your 'perception' of what happens to Ben.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I'm aware of Gnasher's views on wolves/dogs/the "wolfman" etc but do you mean this isn't the first time Gnasher's used an ecollar on her dogs?
No idea. I tend to take certain statements with much salt. But in the last round she certainly appeared to think that (a) electric shock collars are Good Thing in certain circumstances and (b) that she has Special Dogs (ie wolves) that need special treatment because they are like no other.

How much of what we are hearing is fact... I couldn`t possibly comment.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Poor Ben, out of the frying pan and into the fire
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm there Sat and Sun, are you there then?
I'll be there Saturday.
Closed Thread
Page 78 of 83 « First < 28 68 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 > Last »