Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Let's stick to greyhounds then, what do you know about greyhound racing, that I don't?

There we are then, say's it all for me. I wouldn't comment on something I knew nothing about.
i said i have no experience with it, that doesnt mean i havent read things about it, watched things about it and spoken to people who have been to races. and what i have learnt, is horrible.

You've got your 'some' and your 'many' the wrong way around, it should read ' I do understand that many owners and trainers are good but some aren't'. And I'm speaking from experience.

Agreed!
dont tell me how it should have read, i wrote it and what i wrote is how it is meant to be. you just need to look at all the ex-racers in rescues to see there is a big problem...

For what reason? As a general rule I would say that aslong as the kennels have ventiliation are dry and clean and that the dogs have raised beds with warm, dry bedding in that kennelled dogs are healthier!

Central heating in houses isn't very healthy for us humans, nice and warm yes but not healthy!
i just think a dog should be in a home with people, not in a kennel. i just dont see it as any life for a dog, but this depends on how long they are in there for. if they are in just for the night, then i dont have a problem with it but if they are confined most of the day, i dont think it is fair.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2009, 08:42 PM
[

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i said i have no experience with it, that doesnt mean i havent read things about it, watched things about it and spoken to people who have been to races. and what i have learnt, is horrible.

dont tell me how it should have read, i wrote it and what i wrote is how it is meant to be. you just need to look at all the ex-racers in rescues to see there is a big problem...

i just think a dog should be in a home with people, not in a kennel. i just dont see it as any life for a dog, but this depends on how long they are in there for. if they are in just for the night, then i dont have a problem with it but if they are confined most of the day, i dont think it is fair.
Does that go for ALL dog who live a kenneled life, or just greyhounds and show dogs!!!!!!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Why isnt it fair? What about working dogs?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Now there's a surprise, I guess you have experience of that sport too..to be able to judge so vehemently

Yet you seem to know so much about injuries and cruelty in the sport??

Yes I did, sorry I did not realise you where talking "world wide" just assumed as you were talking about greyhound racing in this Country, and yours and your family and friends experience of their dogs not getting injured on walks, you were talking about the UK. If I had realised you had included world wide and how they treat their dogs, then yes I would agree with you, but then in many Countries world wide , dogs are not taken for walks they are left to roam, so the argument of being injured in parks and walks, will not apply!!

Well as you say, the Internet is a big place, and I can think of a good few Internet friends from the UK and other Countries , that have posted injuries concerning their dogs, caused while on free run exersice.

I can tell you of 1, where a pup broke a leg, a few pulled muscles, and one even loosing an eye.

Not to mention my own , friends and family... Millie lost a nail on a walk in the woods, a friends dog needed 5 stitches, and on the yard I used to keep my horses , the resident dog nearly lost her life to blood loss due to an incident in one of the paddocks, and thats just for starters..

Like I said, who gives you the right to say some do try and some dont... its an assumption on your part,

Maybe not for you, but who are you to say why people should keep dogs, dogs mean different things to different people, the working sheep dog that does not make the grade, (or one used in trials, for sport) is re homed , is that a valid reason to rehome a dog.

It seems you have this arrogant opinion, that all dogs should be pets ... and only pet owners can be called "dog lovers" that the way I read your post, before you accuse me of putting words in your mouth.

Sorry I cant go into your "edit profile "

It is when you question how many dogs may get injured in a park, and giving your own experience as a guide.

No, you purposely mentioned "showing" so again hers a scenario for you, the police dog how live sin a kennel outside at his handlers home, the working sheep dog how lives in a kennel , the show dog how live sin a kennel why is one different to another.

You refer to someone buying a pup, then not liking the way it turns out, than getting rid of it......????????? are we talking about a show kennel, a working kennel or just pet / hobby exhibitor, you see there is a thousand and one different scenario`s for you to choose from.

But as you paticulary singled out the "show kennel that what I answered!!!

We cant be expected to predict what you really meant to say!!
when i was younger, i used to love watching horse racing because i think horse are gorgeous animals and loved watching them run. but then i began seeing the horrific injuries some of them received, and although some people really showed the love for their horse (barbaro always sticks in my mind), i just couldnt, and still cant, understand why people would put an animal they loved in such a situation. so now, i dont like it.

just coz someone doesnt have first hand experience with something, doesnt mean they dont have other ways of learning and finding out about it.

i only mentioned worldwide coz you refered to posts on here, which has members worldwide.

but if someone gets rid of their dog, and then gets another... they have hardly done all they can to keep the first one...

it is my opinion, and i am entitled to it. and if i think it is wrong to treat an animal in such a way, then that is my choice! and that is what i believe is right.

and no, i dont think that is a valid reason to rehome a dog. my aunt had a working BC, and he tbh was terrible lol but would she get rid of him? no, coz she loved him. and that IMO is how it should be!

i do think dogs should be pets, they arent just here for us to use them to do whatever we want. if they are going to do something, they should also be loved pets. and not just disposed of once they can no longer do that job. they should not be seen as £££ or a machine!

i didnt mention showing, that was someone else. so you were wrong with your 'No, you purposely mentioned "showing"' i just gave my opinion on it. and i dont think it makes a difference what the dog is getting used for, IMO they shouldnt be kennelled.

what were you meant to predict????????
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Does that go for ALL dog who live a kenneled life, or just greyhounds and show dogs!!!!!!!!
all dogs!

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why isnt it fair? What about working dogs?
well, would you like to be locked in a kennel most of the day?? i know i wouldnt.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
As someone who cares for the welfare of ALL animals it has everything to do with me
If a vet was present, what could you do for the animal, that the vet couldn't? If it was my dog and a stranger was trying to 'comfort' it, I'm sure he/she/they would NOT appreciate it. If it was someone familiar, owner, trainer, kennel hand e.t.c then yes, it would be comforted by those people.

And I go back on a previous comment saying that bookies should contribute to welfare as it appears having delved deeper in the subject... they already do!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:04 PM
all dogs!

well, would you like to be locked in a kennel most of the day?? i know i wouldnt.
Im not a dog and neither are you, so you cannot know how a dog will "feel" if its known nothing else. You are anthropomorphising, dogs are incapable of thinking like this.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:05 PM
all dogs!

Most of my dogs are kennelled yet they certainly aren't locked in the kennel all day. You have a warped idea of kennel life I feel.

Probably same old story, trying to comment on a subject that you know little or nothing about.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:09 PM
(barbaro always sticks in my mind)
There you go again, if you knew the full story anyone with much knowledge of horses could see that wasn't to do with love for the horse.

That horse was put through hell for two reasons, the vets were experimenting, like it or lump it, that's a fact and at the back of the mind of the owners was the millons of pounds that colt would have made throughout a stud career.

There are two sides to a coin, funny how certain people only see what they want to see.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-12-2009, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=lozzibear;1848809]

i just think a dog should be in a home with people, not in a kennel. i just dont see it as any life for a dog, but this depends on how long they are in there for. if they are in just for the night, then i dont have a problem with it but if they are confined most of the day, i dont think it is fair.[/QUOTE]

I will tell you how it should have read because I see the dogs and trainers and owners week in week out, you don't. You are making wild accusations and ludicrous assumptions!

Exactly, YOU think they should be, you don't think what your dog might prefer. You will find most greyhound trainers turn their dogs out in paddocks at very regular intervals throughout the day for two reasons, one is as it keeps the kennells clean which cuts down on the need for extra staff and is obviously more pleasant for the dogs and the second reason is because greyhounds are in general a very clean breed, they hate to mess their kennel. Once my dogs are put to bed just before dark then they're away for the whole night until theyre turned out in the morning, the greyhounds however are always let out at about 10pm to go to the toilet every single night, if I'm not home, one of the family will let them out.

ETS yes there are many greys in rescue but don't think all have been abused or dumped. Many are sent to the rescues with a donations from the trainer/owner to be rehomed.
Page 77 of 157 « First < 27 67 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 87 127 > Last »