Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Hi Patch mate, could you explain why those theories are flawed?
They were originally based on captive wolf behaviour which was unnatural because of how they were kept, the human intervention side of food provision, and space limitation. JoedeeUK`s post, [ #739 ], explains it very well

CM came up with his own theories while observing the pack of domesticated dogs which he grew up with on his grandfather's farm in Mexico.
Rather limiting as they were working dogs, bred to do those jobs, so a very different mindset to dogs of different types - but he makes no mention of his grandfather poking, nipping, and hissing at those dogs to `keep them in line`
He also seems to switch from claiming its about those dogs to claiming its about wild street dogs.

He uses his own theories,not those of other people, as far as I know. But correct me if I'm wrong
Prepare to be corrected He cites the major influences on him being the books The Dog's Mind by Dr. Bruce Fogle and Dog Psychology by Leon F. Whitney, DVM, as well as various other books.

Do you all believe a dog needs rules and boundaries?
Yep, though I think of it more as guidance that `strictness` if you see what I mean.

Do you all believe a dog needs exercise?

Yep

Do you all believe that in a household, the humans come higher in the pecking order than the dogs?
Nope. In my home, my dogs and I are partners, there are some things they do better than me and some things I am better at than them, [ like bringing in their food sacks ], so its a complimentary partnership

Do you believe a dog should be shown affection when it is calm?
Yes, but not only when calm - agility training being a prime example of giving them affection when they are excited and bubbly.

That's what I believe anyway.
Not all that far different on the whole, we just need to get CM out of the equation for you and you`ll be the rest of the way there
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
still think the pack way is the way to go
Good luck with that
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:59 PM

The routine I have in the morning is the basis of CMs teaching. So if what I am doing is ok, then the basis of his teaching is sound.
Its not his teaching, gawd a normal sensible routine has been around for a lot longer than him, he`s not some mythical demi-god who invented the basics of having a morning routine with a dog, [ well, in his own mind he might be ]

Yes, he tests me every now and again, but don't all dogs?
Tests you in what way ?

If that sounds like a robotic, closed down, unhappy dog, then I am very surprised. I know I'm doing something right because my friends and family all trust me to lookafter their dogs when they are on holiday etc. and I am a foster carer for the Freedom Project, for which I was vetted very thoroughly.
Sounds to me like you have been doing pretty much normal stuff but for some reason are giving CM the credit for it, as though it needs some sort of `label` to do perfectly normal things with dogs the same as people have done since long before CM was born
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Rather limiting as they were working dogs, bred to do those jobs, Ah come on, that's nit picking now! A dog is a dog. How they behave together is the same whether they are a working breed, pastoral, guard dog, terrier etc.
so a very different mindset to dogs of different types - but he makes no mention of his grandfather poking, nipping, and hissing at those dogs to `keep them in line`
He also seems to switch from claiming its about those dogs to claiming its about wild street dogs.
What he said about street dogs was that he notcied that they were much calmer than the pampered pooched of the American middle class.

Prepare to be corrected He cites the major influences on him being the books The Dog's Mind by Dr. Bruce Fogle and Dog Psychology by Leon F. Whitney, DVM, as well as various other books.
Yes he was influenced by them, but he hadn't read them when he was a child growing up in Mexico and first observing dogs.

Yep, though I think of it more as guidance that `strictness` if you see what I mean.
I never mentioned the word strictness

Yep

Nope. In my home, my dogs and I are partners, there are some things they do better than me and some things I am better at than them, [ like bringing in their food sacks ], so its a complimentary partnership
A true complimentary relationship is a pack. A pack always has a leader. No dog is equal to me. That may sound harsh, but it's true. I've never yet heard a trainer say a dog should be equal to a human

Yes, but not only when calm - agility training being a prime example of giving them affection when they are excited and bubbly.
There's a difference between praise and affection

Not all that far different on the whole, we just need to get CM out of the equation for you and you`ll be the rest of the way there
I'll never denounce CM! You can't make me! No Patch put those thumb screws away, you'll never catch me ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!
*runs away into the distance*
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Tests you in what way ?

Just little things like not coming to have his lead put on, barking in the house, being a bit bolshy you know? Nothing major though - he's just testing his boundaries

I understand totally what you're saying Patch and I agree that just about all he says is common sense. I know he didn't invent that routine, that people have been doing it for years. But I learnt about it from reading his books.

I learnt how to play the piano over 18 years. People have played the piano for hundreds of years. But I had a teacher and I will always give her credit for being my teacher
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Good luck with that
dont need luck as its working
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Ah come on, that's nit picking now! A dog is a dog. How they behave together is the same whether they are a working breed, pastoral, guard dog, terrier etc.
Heck no they don`t, and that`s one of CMs major flaws, that he thinks all dogs are the same - no they are not, there are huge differences from breed to breed in terms of traits, then differences in how each dog is brought up, they are not `one size fits all`

What he said about street dogs was that he notcied that they were much calmer than the pampered pooched of the American middle class.
Street dogs have to be physically calmer, they literally don`t know when they will eat next so they conserve energy, as do most animals which live wild.

Yes he was influenced by them, but he hadn't read them when he was a child growing up in Mexico and first observing dogs.
He`s the one himself who cites them as major influences on him

I never mentioned the word strictness
I was just making a distinction in advance

A true complimentary relationship is a pack.
No its not, I`m human, they are dogs, therefore we are not a pack

A pack always has a leader.
So do scout and brownie troops - but you don`t hear of Brown Owl alpha rolling the little darlings

No dog is equal to me. That may sound harsh, but it's true. I've never yet heard a trainer say a dog should be equal to a human
Depends on how you define equal. I consider my dogs lives to be as important as mine, and I consider my dogs lives to be more important than any other humans, but then I consider amoeba`s lives to be more important than some elements of the human race, [ like rapists and murderers for instance ].

There's a difference between praise and affection
Yep there is, I did`nt mention praise in the agility comment, so I`ll put it another way, when my dogs are being bouncy and boisterous they get affection from me just as much as when they are calm

I'll never denounce CM! You can't make me! No Patch put those thumb screws away, you'll never catch me ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!
*runs away into the distance*

You can run but you can`t hide bwahahaha
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Isn't it correct that he should have studied captive wolves when using theories applied to domesticated dogs?
But really his thoeries were formed by observing the pack of dogs he grew up with on his Grandfather's farm in Mexico.
What do the anti-Cmers think of my morning routine with Bryan? I think really, we all treat our dogs more or less the same. I bet if we all posted our morning routine we'd see we all have a lot in common :grin:

Dogs aren't wolves for a start

Hm that's his story, he entered the US as an illegal immigrant & didn't start his dog behaviour business for quite a while(can't be bothered to look it up) if his grandfather had a farm, he would have had some form of herding breed & he would not have seen them "dominant each other"in the manner that he does, they do not bite each other to force discipline either, if he had been studying domesticated working dogs, I would expect him to know the difference between some breeds(like ACDs & Dingoes !)

Here's my routine every morning with Bryan. Wake up, get ready to take Bryan for a walk. Walk for 60-90 minutes, including some recall training and some play with other dogs. Feeding time. Playing time.

My morning routine is nothing like yours in any shape or form, I don't eat before my dogs, I don't force exercise on them nor do training before the dogs are fed.

My dogs have free access 24/7 to the rear dog run(not a small dog run BTW approx 20 metres by 15 metres)(& garden after they have toileted)

They get fed as soon as I have fed the cats & had a shower, I then have my breakfast & medication. Do the washing up etc & then I play with the dogs, do some training for competitive obedience(all done off lead BTW no coercion from me)for the older dogs & puppy training for the puppy. Play with them together & separately, they play with each other(& the cats)

This takes us to lunch time !

My dogs do not need road walking to exercise, they do not need to run alongside a bike or a skate board or in line skates. My dogs(the older ones)are in very hard dry condition, they have boundless energy, but they can also chill out depending on what we are doing
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:55 PM
if you have time for all that good for you, most people have to work and their dogs have to go out for walks at a certain time of the day whether they want to or not and some people dont have access to big field and the dogs must be road exercised and I dont relly think it matters who eats first human cat or dog as long as everyone eats.I prefer to exercise on an empty stomach or I get cramps.
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2008, 07:58 PM
so we are wrong for taking our dogs for a walk now
Page 76 of 102 « First < 26 66 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 86 > Last »