Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
As for DT.
Yes they turn dogs away. Whenever I am up there they turn dogs away, but they turn them away to other reputable rescues or make suggestions about behaviourists etc.
They turn them away because they have no room and they also have an extensive waiting list.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I agree with this. I have struggled a bit with the "we never put a healthy dog to sleep" in the past as it is possibly a misleading statement if it's assumed that it's only physical health that is in question. But I also realise that what they generally do is assess each dog's quality of life & the options available for that dog. And of course mental/emotional health has to be a factor in making those decisions.

And yes, for the staff working in these rescues, it must be absolutely shattering to have to decide to end a dog's life, especially a dog that someone has got to know & has gained that dog's trust. From what I know, the staff are hugely supportive of each other but no-one finds it anything but heart-breaking when such decisions have to be made.

I think this thread has gone a bit off topic (my fault) but I'm happy to continue on another thread if anyone wants to?
Another thread might be a good idea. Yours I think

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Yes, when you've got finate resources

as, indeed, the dogs trust do.

But unfortunately when the DT turn a dog away it isn't usually the owner that has to make the decision about pts; the dogs will often just get dumped on the street, then picked up by dog warden and go to local pound who have to do something with them and in a fairly short space of time, because of lack of resource.

not really, when i worked in rescue we often got told by owners they will need to PTS their dog as they couldnt find a rescue place, including ours. we also had the strays contracts and never saw same dog come in.
which means the owner probably did PTS or passed the dog on privately.
im sure it occurs, but its not the norm.

DT are good at what they do, but their big play on 'we never put a healthy dog to sleep' makes it sound like they are more caring than the others who do have to pts, but that just isn't necessarily the case.
i agree. they arent different from the others. their arent really any rescues with a no kill policy, as a selection policy is that.
i dont see why the onus for PTS should be forced upon a rescue to let an owner off though. its their dog, after all

your original post argued itself, as it would lead to a consequence of the DT having less space, thus turning away more dog, meaning others having to do what you object to, putting down dogs instead of the dogs trust doing it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
A quick Google tells me that last year DT looked after more than 16,000 dogs!!! That's a phenomenal number...I can't believe people are complaining that sometimes they turn dogs away. Resources are limited and they can only fit in so many. Yes, it may be foisting the problem onto someone else...but DT can't really help that, nor can any rescue that turns away a dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Apart from the RSPCA and (I think) Battersea the rescue associations all have a no healthy dog pts policy. They are all members of an overall organisation with that policy (KW may know more about it than I do.).

However defining 'healthy' is a let out. You can justlfy pts if the dog has bitten----lets face it you HAVE to. If not you would very soon fill all available spaces with un rehomable dogs (either legally or ethically).

IMO the Dogs Trust do a good job rehoming and their staff, along with staff at other rescue homes, suffer the emotional fall out. You can only try and imagine how c''p it can be unless you have been there.

rune
You probalby mean the ADCH (association of dogs and cats homes)? that doesnt have a no kill policy membership policy, RSPCA, battersea, Dogs trust and many others are members.

unhealthy means:
1. physically unhealthy
2. mentally unhealthy
3. health and safety danger to the staff members.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As for DT.
Yes they turn dogs away. Whenever I am up there they turn dogs away, but they turn them away to other reputable rescues or make suggestions about behaviourists etc.
They turn them away because they have no room and they also have an extensive waiting list.
Sorry Ramble, but I have little respect for DT, they may have a no kill policy, but when the no kill policy, rehomes totally unsuitable dog to a totally unsuitable home, (so their figures remain intact) and when said home, asks for help repeatably, and receives none then one wonders what they are about, a nice feel good reputation , for the TV , or an organization that moves on dogs as soon as possible simply to keep said reputation.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I couldn't disagree more.
She cares about the dogs, is in it for the dogs and does more for dog care and welfare than most other people I know.
All she has done is convince some of the general public that crossbreeds are healthier andf that pedigrees, especially KC Reg ones are mutants. There are now a few puppyfarmers quoting her words on their websites--Well Done Jemima so much for All for the Dogs

ps She has also admitted this on another forum
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry Ramble, but I have little respect for DT, they may have a no kill policy, but when the no kill policy, rehomes totally unsuitable dog to a totally unsuitable home, (so their figures remain intact) and when said home, asks for help repeatably, and receives none then one wonders what they are about, a nice feel good reputation , for the TV , or an organization that moves on dogs as soon as possible simply to keep said reputation.
I can't say that is my experience at all.
I know the behaviourist at our local centre and she works so hard with all the dogs, both resident and rehomed...they run numerous classes for the ex dogs and put on loads of courses for owners. I truly can't say that is my experience...if anything it is the complete opposite. They are exceptionally careful about who they rehome to and are there if needed once the dog is in the home.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I've started a new thread for this discussion so as not to clog up the already long Crufts thread.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
All she has done is convince some of the general public that crossbreeds are healthier andf that pedigrees, especially KC Reg ones are mutants. There are now a few puppyfarmers quoting her words on their websites--Well Done Jemima so much for All for the Dogs

ps She has also admitted this on another forum
I know the forum you are referring to and she has admitted no such thing.
People twist words.

It is NOT the fault of PDE that there are designer crossbreeds out there...they were out there way before the show. Are youi going to blame Guide Dogs for it...they could be said to have started the whole Labradoodle thing.
Page 75 of 103 « First < 25 65 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 85 > Last »