Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Hang on a minute – are you saying that cats have human emotions such as enjoyment, fun, anger? So you do not disagree with people when they come on here and say my dog is peeing in the lounge for spite? Maybe cats feel spite as well, or love, etc?

I don’t understand if foxes as many are saying, are vermin, pests etc and the all the hunt did was control these pesky vermin, why not just go out and eliminate the whole population? Just exterminate them all? Oh of course that would spoil the fun wouldn’t it? So please do not give me this rubbish about pest control or animals having human emotions – its ballony!

are you actually saying that rats caused bubonic plague?

Oh now spot, stop putting words in my mouth... where did I say cats have human emotions... I am talking a natural animal instict to kill.... it just so happens, that cats kill for fun...(not in a human emotion way) but in their own animal instict way , just a termanology thats all!!! anyone who sees a cat in the throws of "play" with a mouse , will see it is doing so , because it can, no other reason.... and in that I use the term "having fun" loosely

Oh no spot, less of the baloney... again where did I say rats caused Bubonic plague.........????? you will know full well the part rats will have played in "spreading" disease, not "causing"

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Don't be a silly billy Chaz ... (and sorry by the way if I upset you. I had completely overlooked the fact that you are only a young girl, and I should therefore have not been so harsh). If you let your bunnies have freedom they will, sooner or later, like Mittens Go Bush. This is their natural instinct after all. We are keeping them in an artificial environment ... a safe environment, but artificial nonetheless. Once they have got up a bit of confidence, and it may take months, as it did with Mittens, the call of the wild will be too strong for them to resist.
If you consider this to be cruel, then don't allow them to have freedom. At the time we had Mittens, our garden was far too large to contemplate fencing to keep Mittens in, but could it be that you would be able to make your garden or yard bunny proof?

then maybe you should let the "call of the wild" overtake your "wolf" cross, if you feel so strongly about instict and artificial environments
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Their diseases aren't as bad to humans, things like ringworm can be caught from other things, and to be honest there are what, 500 hedgehogs as a average at tiggys through out the year, and more now, and I've not heard of anyone catching round worm from them, also their fleas are host spefic and can only live on hedgehogs, they themselves are a form of pest control, they can get lungworm, which dogs can get if they like or eat infected hedgehogs faeces, but then they can also get this from slugs, and owners could help reduce this by not letting their dogs do this Also yes these guys can get mange, but again I think that this is host specific.

Plus they don't live in large conolies, and breed as often and as much as rats.
That's interesting Chaz, I didn't know that you could catch ringworm from a tiggy - I can understand they carry lungworm because they eat snails, and indeed I know many dogs, mine included, who love to eat a nice tasty tiggywinkle poo! However, if you worm your dogs correctly, I know of at least one wormer (Panacur) that will kill lungworm, so it is not a problem.

I cannot imagine anyone considering tiggies to be vermin, and want to control them. They eat thousands of snails and slugs, so are the gardener's friend. We NEVER have to use slug pellets in our garden, but next door uses them by the bucketload because they are plagued with slugs and snails ... this is what I mean by allowing nature to do the controlling via predators. Because she uses chemical control, she has doubtless killed all the tiggies in her garden, or they come into our's because we leave wild areas of untouched land to encourage such wildlife.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I think it was mish who said about myxi in rabbits ... what a HORRIFIC time that was, and there are now just as many, if not more, rabbits than ever.
Did you know that Myxi was accidently introduced to the Uk, because of rats?? What I was told at college was that it was created by Australian scientists and then some french man introduced it to France, and then when sailors were sailing as they do the ship rats got fleas off the rabbits, and carried them over to the uk, when the rats got off the fleas had bred and found rabbits to thrive off, and voila, myxi got to the uk.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Re Hedgehog diseases, are you talking about Ringworm? The Foxes probably gave it to them, and you and your dog too!
I was thinking that was what spot was on about too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-01-2010, 01:25 PM
That's interesting Chaz, I didn't know that you could catch ringworm from a tiggy - I can understand they carry lungworm because they eat snails, and indeed I know many dogs, mine included, who love to eat a nice tasty tiggywinkle poo! However, if you worm your dogs correctly, I know of at least one wormer (Panacur) that will kill lungworm, so it is not a problem.

I cannot imagine anyone considering tiggies to be vermin, and want to control them. They eat thousands of snails and slugs, so are the gardener's friend. We NEVER have to use slug pellets in our garden, but next door uses them by the bucketload because they are plagued with slugs and snails ... this is what I mean by allowing nature to do the controlling via predators. Because she uses chemical control, she has doubtless killed all the tiggies in her garden, or they come into our's because we leave wild areas of untouched land to encourage such wildlife.

i think you need to re-read Chazs post, her reference to "tiggy" I think is where she works?????? not an animal

Her refference to ringworm is to Hedgehogs!!!!!!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Did you know that Myxi was accidently introduced to the Uk, because of rats?? What I was told at college was that it was created by Australian scientists and then some french man introduced it to France, and then when sailors were sailing as they do the ship rats got fleas off the rabbits, and carried them over to the uk, when the rats got off the fleas had bred and found rabbits to thrive off, and voila, myxi got to the uk.

I was thinking that was what spot was on about too.
A fountain of knowledge aren't you Chaz ... no I had no idea, how interesting !! I knew that it had been "developed" in Oz, but I did not know about the french guy.

I learn something new every day on Dogsey !
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:27 PM

They eat a lot of bugs and beetles too, there have been people who come to tiggys asking for some hedgehogs to be realeased in their gardens

Its a shame that your neighbour uses slug pellets, as they can kill other animals too another problem with posions not being prey speific.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
i think you need to re-read Chazs post, her reference to "tiggy" I think is where she works?????? not an animal

Here refference to ringworm is to Hedgehogs!!!!!!!!

Arh now I see you call hedghogs tiggies??
Yeah its where I work, and I think a few people call hedgehogs tiggys, I think that its also because of the character in beatrix potters book aswell

A fountain of knowledge aren't you Chaz ... no I had no idea, how interesting !! I knew that it had been "developed" in Oz, but I did not know about the french guy.

I learn something new every day on Dogsey !
I had to learn about it at college, as we did loads of things on dieseases and the like, and where they originated from, and that was one that surprised me and stuck in my brain.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah its where I work, and I think a few people call hedgehogs tiggys, I think that its also because of the character in beatrix potters book aswell

I had to learn about it at college, as we did loads of things on dieseases and the like, and where they originated from, and that was one that surprised me and stuck in my brain.
Yep, thought that was what you meant!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Her refference to ringworm is to Hedgehogs!!!!!!!!
I do happen to know that, thank you

Ever since I was young and read Beatrix Potter, I have always referred to hedgehogs as tiggies, or tiggywinkles.

I did not know that tiggies could catch ringworm ... or if you prefer, hedgehogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I do happen to know that, thank you

Ever since I was young and read Beatrix Potter, I have always referred to hedgehogs as tiggies, or tiggywinkles.

I did not know that tiggies could catch ringworm ... or if you prefer, hedgehogs.
Anything can catch ringworm, it is highly contagious!!
Page 74 of 94 « First < 24 64 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 84 > Last »