Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Great pics!! Was going to ask if that was Ellesmere, is that the same track that they run flapping at? Our next nearest track if the Valley goes (problems with the lease just as Swansea had).
Yes they do the flapping, they do timed trials every Sunday too for any Greyhound owner, you could take your girlie! They are even willing to let any dog run after the trials, really great people up there.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Cruelty of Afghan Racing!

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...6&skin_id=1704
Shocking!!!
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Shocking!!!

I think you will find that the 3 dog was not fast enough and was then killed is a very nasty way.

But then again it might have been taking home by its owner

Nice video
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
ha, talk about judging people! your last past said about 'antis' feeding their dogs 'cheap c**p', now that is judgemental! and you are fine to come and spend a day with us, coz i might not be perfect but i do my damn best with everything to do with jake! so come find faults all you want.

Maybe you should spend a day at a racing kennel and see how we try to do the best for are dogs.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As the sport Navajo is talking about is racing (horses) and not dogs, I take it you are OK with that, is it only dogs you have an objection to being used in sport,

I disagree, Navajo points are based on "experience" NOT a simple judgmental attitude on something they have no experience of

What has where you live got to do with dogs getting accidentally injured on walks??? accidents happen to dogs who are running free , whether they live in the most expensive area in the Country or the most deprived

Exactly, but thats not what you said , you gave a blanket opinion on " anyone" who gave up their dogs!!

And how do you know it is not a last resort when people of sporting dogs give them up for re-homing.... a blanket view placed on all, it seems

Exactly, " it was best for the dog"

Thats what profiles are for , to give out information, I am sure you have peeked at a few in your time too as the reason I did not mention the second dog is because you said you have only owned "one" so one can only go on what someone writes.

No, it was to point out , that you said ALL dogs you have owned, have never been injured in the park , was simply pointing out, not a very good statistic to quote, when it has only been one, sorry two!

You said.........

So I assumed you would be talking about the breeder who brings on a pup for the show ring (considering you mentioned "showing" ) then re-homes them because they dont meet standard!!

I would also have assumed you knew a little about what you where condemning, as the large show kennel, (who are the ones who would most likely do what you disapprove off) will have kennels, and their dogs live in kennels, so the scenario would be a pup does not make the grade, you either find it a home or let it live the rest of its life in the kennel.

So that why I asked, if you would rather a dog be left to the life of a kennel dog , to support your principle of not rehoming a dog.

You dont like showing or the people who show/breed, thats fine, but before you judge, take the time to understand what you are judging!!!!!!!!!!
she might now talking about horse racing, but this thread is about greyhound racing so i am sticking to that! not moving on to a different animal that is irrelevant to this thread. and, no i DO NOT like horse racing either.

i will admit i have no experience of racing, but that is because i would never do that to a dog. i have read a lot about it, and my sister used to go to the track when she was younger and she has told me about it. that is enough for me, so i will never have 'experience' of it, coz i find it cruel.

you have totally missed my point about where people live. and i did not mention expensive or deprived areas! i was meaning, that members on here are from all over. the majority from the UK but some members are from a variety of countries. so when you have loads of people, from all of the world walking their dogs, there are bound to be some injuries but because of the vast numbers of dogs, you can hardly call walking your dogs as 'dangerous'. im sure if you were to pick one area of britain, and find the numbers of how many dogs there were injured on walks, it would be small.

anyone with sense will realise it isnt ALWAYS possible to keep your dog, but people should try their hardest!

and why else would a 'sporting' dog need to be rehomed when retired?? to make space for a new younger dog?? that is not a valid reason!

yes, it was best for him. but it wasnt a quick decision and she tried her best to avoid it. she loved him, and she didnt do it through choice. she had to.

yes, but if you go into the edit profile it says for that box in brackets 'not including parents dog' (or something like that) and although he wasnt just my parents dog, he was a family dog when i was younger, i didnt put him in that coz he wasnt just mine. whereas jake is. but ok, i will change that. just to make it clear, even though above that i have specifically named sam and given his breed thought that would be clear enough.

it isnt really relevant how many dogs i have had, coz i have grown up around them with all my family having them... so there is a large number with that! and i mentioned that.

i dont like dogs being in kennels, so i dont agree with show kennels. but i was more refering to people who get a dog to live in their home, and then the pup doesnt grown up to be as 'good' as they expected so they rehome them.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Not judgemental, when discussing the subject I always make a point of asking if they follow NH or Flat racing, fishing or the like and also what they feed their dogs, I never said that 'ALL' antis feed that, I said that I knew of antis who fed two brands which I won't mention but are two of the worst dog feeds around.

You do your best by your dog and the good greyhound trainers do their best by their dogs. Why is that hard to understand? We all know there are low lifes in the sport (as in any sport) who have no regard or respect for the dogs. The stats that people point out don't take into account the sheer number of dogs running per week which is thousands. The percentage injured to the amount running per week is very low. We've (though I used to go with my uncle) been running dogs since July at two tracks (one is now closed) so that's four meetings a week, 6-8 races per night with 5 or 6 dogs in each race and two dogs have been severely injured in that time. Two in 6 months with the number that have run is not high risk, yes we all know it's two too many.

This post was contructive hence my reply
we can just agree to disagree lol

i just think the chance of injury is something i wouldnt risk. i do understand some owners/trainers are good but many arent and i think the industry as a whole doesnt come across at all well.

and your post was constructive
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 02:16 PM
she might now talking about horse racing, but this thread is about greyhound racing so i am sticking to that! not moving on to a different animal that is irrelevant to this thread. and, no i DO NOT like horse racing either.
Let's stick to greyhounds then, what do you know about greyhound racing, that I don't?

i will admit i have no experience of racing
There we are then, say's it all for me. I wouldn't comment on something I knew nothing about.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 02:18 PM
we can just agree to disagree lol

i just think the chance of injury is something i wouldnt risk. i do understand some owners/trainers are good but many arent and i think the industry as a whole doesnt come across at all well.

and your post was constructive
You've got your 'some' and your 'many' the wrong way around, it should read ' I do understand that many owners and trainers are good but some aren't'. And I'm speaking from experience.

Agreed!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 02:30 PM

i dont like dogs being in kennels
For what reason? As a general rule I would say that aslong as the kennels have ventiliation are dry and clean and that the dogs have raised beds with warm, dry bedding in that kennelled dogs are healthier!

Central heating in houses isn't very healthy for us humans, nice and warm yes but not healthy!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post

John you might be the same as Spot a supporter of PETA
and nothing wrong with that.

I am??? Coo I never knew that, Im impressed that you know me better than me
Page 73 of 157 « First < 23 63 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 83 123 > Last »