Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Uum, aren't rats here because of sailors??

But even a healthy rat can carry dieseases which can harm others, including other people and animals.
tbh, i dont know how rats got here. but that doesnt matter coz that wasnt what i was meaning. i wasnt meaning here as in this country, it was as in here alive.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
leptospirosis mean anything to you? I'm currently doing some work at Tiggywinkles, and even they can't accept rats, as they carry so many dieseases.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/ratdiseases.htm

So although rats may be healthy, they are still a pest that can cause harm to people and other animals.
that is sad. i had pet rats (i know they are very different to wild rats) but they are such intelligent, loving creatures. it's such a shame the wild rat is so very different.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
that is sad. i had pet rats (i know they are very different to wild rats) but they are such intelligent, loving creatures. it's such a shame the wild rat is so very different.
I know, I love pet ones, and would love a hooded, but a wild one to me is a pest, also I'm sure wild rats are why your never meant to have cans in a pub .

OT but I was reading the other day about the history of rats (well it was a bit about bull breeds ) and it said that if we didn't have the rat pits in the olden days then we wouldn't have pet rats now as some of the people who ran them (can't remember his name) bred some of the wild ones so that he didn't have to catch too many, and he kept or sold any colour mutations, which at the time were fashionable for ladies to have in squirrel cages , so it just goes to show, that, there really is no pleasure without the pain, if you get what I mean
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 11:38 PM
it is a shame that wild rats get such a bad press and it rolls over to pet rats as well If humans weren't so mucky wild rats wouldn't take advantage

This article mentions the two men who are credited with starting fancy rats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fancy_rat
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Hello Krusewalker

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hello Jackbox

are they? according to whom and by what criteria?
(i always thought a pest was a species not native to its land?)

again - vermin? according to whom and what criteria?
does man count as vermin to the fox?

Vermin/pest control, by who`s criteria will depend I guess on whether you see the fox as a cute furry wild animal, or a savage predator that kills for the fun of it.

Ask those who have lost stock to the fox, and seen the destruction they leave behind , I would think "they" would be your "whom"

Yes - shooting (see my earlier posts)

Saw that

Maybe not "more humane", but definitely not "less humane"

So if not more or less humane , why have a problem with one, yet not the other

There probably isnt a "stress free way" to kill anything.
The closest thing to fit that criteria is sudden and immediate death (hounds or bullets wouldnt make the grade).

I agree, but one way or the other the fox is going to be controlled, so far better to be killed quickly than by traps or a poorly aimed bullet.

In terms of a fox, id say a rocket propelled grenade would do the trick.
now there's an idea!!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
So what about people who consider animals, that you don’t, pests? Some people think dogs are pests… would you agree? I don’t, and I don’t agree foxes are pests either. That is MY opinion.
And you are entitled to it, yes there are people who consider dogs pests, I guess it al down to where you live what animals are doing what to your crops /livestock . as to whether you consider it a pest /vermin or not.

And no, I don’t think it is right to kill rats either, unless the rat is known to be carrying disease. A few years ago, we had mice in our garage. We caught them humanely and released them. I would never set a trap that would kill them. and yes, i do think the rat is terrorised, which is why i dont like that either!
you are joking right........ we have a horrendous problem with wild rats in this country, we can not keep on top of it even with pest control, they are multiplying by their thousands..daily!! and you would see then being left alone because they have a right to life

Tell that to the household that is infested with rats,

Tell me, what would you do if you found your home was infested with rats.. what if you has small children, or your dog picked up a disease and was ill,

Would you still have the "leave them alone" attitude.

By the way have you not heard of leptospirosis , and the Bubonic plague

What about just leaving them alone??? Instead of committing needless murder! and if a fox has to be killed, absolutely HAS to be, then I think a more humane way would be to get a skilled marksmen to shoot the fox. Much less of a terrifying chase, and a quicker death.
Maybe , maybe not, it would depend on the skill of the marksman.........not forgetting he would have to find the fox first.... they do a thing called going to ground you know!!

And do you believe it is for population control? I don’t, and if that is the true reason, it doesn’t work. And what kind of person enjoys chasing an animal, that is terrified, and know that the poor animal will be killed at the end of it??

Again, you are under a misconception... the field do not chase an animal, the ride to hounds... the hounds chase the fox!!!!!

yes, and that is why i said unless they are carrying diseases. who are we to kill off ANY animal of a species? rats are here for a reason, and they deserve to be just as much as we do. so i do not agree at all with killing perfectly healthy rats.
That has to be the most silliest of statements you have ever made.

Pest/population control is vital to health of not only to the human race, but to the animals themselves!!!

We have a deer heard down the road, they carry out a cull ever couple of yrs , if they did not the deer would become overpopulated and starve.

I guess your convictions would just allow them to be left alone... become to large a heard and suffer the consequences.. instead of the healthy heard they are today!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 09:24 AM
http://www.terrierwork.com/pestcontrol.htm
CAUTION contains the damage Foxes do.

For those that think Foxes should be let do as they please. It also explains what is and isnt allowed with the Hunting with dogs act.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
you are joking right........ we have a horrendous problem with wild rats in this country, we can not keep on top of it even with pest control, they are multiplying by their thousands..daily!! and you would see then being left alone because they have a right to life

Tell that to the household that is infested with rats,

Tell me, what would you do if you found your home was infested with rats.. what if you has small children, or your dog picked up a disease and was ill,

Would you still have the "leave them alone" attitude.

By the way have you not heard of leptospirosis , and the Bubonic plague
Im still struggling with that one too.

Maybe , maybe not, it would depend on the skill of the marksman.........not forgetting he would have to find the fox first.... they do a thing called going to ground you know!!
They do indeed, difficult to get to it without a Terrier.

Again, you are under a misconception... the field do not chase an animal, the ride to hounds... the hounds chase the fox!!!!!
Thats what I was trying to explain ages ago that the kill is not part of the "fun" the ride and being in the country riding across ground you have permission to do so on, with fellow riders is.

That has to be the most silliest of statements you have ever made.

Pest/population control is vital to health of not only to the human race, but to the animals themselves!!!

We have a deer heard down the road, they carry out a cull ever couple of yrs , if they did not the deer would become overpopulated and starve.

I guess your convictions would just allow them to be left alone... become to large a heard and suffer the consequences.. instead of the healthy heard they are today!!!
The league against Cruel sports allowed Deer to breed unchecked and they became diseased and dying, they even managed to "try" and kill some themselves, have a look if you choose too, very "compassionate" eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgDclFnxdI
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Funny, when I suggested reducing fox numbers by contraception bait no one commented! None have to die because they would not be born.

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Funny, when I suggested reducing fox numbers by contraception bait no one commented! None have to die because they would not be born.

Im sorry WDO I didnt see that. I know at one time it was suggested, however as with everything that targets a "species" you have to be certain that only that species will get it. How would that be done? Food? How can anyone be sure thats the only animal that will get it? it could kill other species couldnt it? The other problem is cost. There is nobody that would pay for it either.
Page 71 of 94 « First < 21 61 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 81 > Last »