Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If you have concerns about any animal being terrorised by the the chase, then you need to expand your revulsion to ALL animals in the food chain, doing what comes naturally to them... a mouse chases and kills a cat, dogs chase and terrorise cats, the cycle goes on and on and on!! something is always chasing /ripping apart and killing something else.

But it seems add man and pest control to the equation, it then becomes barbaric.
There is a BIG difference between an animal killing another for SURVIVAL than just for a bit of ‘fun’ or apparent ‘control’… and I don’t agree with calling it ‘pest control’.

I have nothing against people killing animals in the most humane and stress free way they can, as long as they are going to eat the animal. I personally could not do that, but I understand some can. But killing an animal for fun, is sick and a total waste of life!

is it, you would rather see them suffer a lingering death !!
I was meaning that pro-hunting people just use that as there defence for why they do it… a rubbish justification for it.

Who said it was?? hunting with or without dogs is for "population control"

As for the misconception of watching and getting kicks out of an animals death, you are watching to much TV, if that is your impression of what happens,,, the majority of the hunt are far from participating in the kill... did you say , you used to hunt as a child??? can remember if you did!!

But if you did , you will know the structure of the hunt and the strict abidance of them, and who is where at what time , and doing what!!!
It has even been said on here about the thrill and fun of it! and no, I didn’t hunt as a child.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok , when i hunted, About 15 years ago, I hunted because it was Fun & the "in" thing to do & the horses loved it. I never saw a kill, Noone at our hunt was ever Blooded. It was mainly a load of Pissed up men passing the hip flasks around. & at the time i WANTED to go.

Also once upon a time i quite enjoyed a one night stand, that was fun too.

I would do neither now

Things change & life Evolves, but yes at the time it was really good fun!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
There is a BIG difference between an animal killing another for SURVIVAL than just for a bit of ‘fun’ or apparent ‘control’… and I don’t agree with calling it ‘pest control’.

Tell the cat then, that enjoys the thrill of the chase and the kill, not for survival but for the enjoyment of it.

Pest control covers a wide area, foxes , rats, are considered pests.... is it OK then to kill the pesky rat by using terrier men and their dogs, but not OK to kill the fox with the same ethos...dogs!!!!! doing dispatching the vermin, as quickly and humanly as possible,

Do you not think the rat is terrorised when it runs for its life , knowing the dogs are going to get it.

I have nothing against people killing animals in the most humane and stress free way they can, as long as they are going to eat the animal. I personally could not do that, but I understand some can. But killing an animal for fun, is sick and a total waste of life!

So tell me, what would be the most humane stress free way to kill the Fox!! have you an alternative , ???

I was meaning that pro-hunting people just use that as there defence for why they do it… a rubbish justification for it.

It has even been said on here about the thrill and fun of it! and no, I didn’t hunt as a child.

No they dont, pro hunt will tell you the reason for fox hunting is pest control.

The thrill of the chase and the social side is a seperate entity.

No one is denying the enjoyment of a day following hounds, there is nothing to compare being out at the crack of dawn on a frosty cold winter morning, with all that horse power and nature at its rawest around you!!!

But as you so rightly put me straight, you have no experience of what you are again condemning
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Gnasher, stop being so patronising to Chaz, she is a young girl who wishes to keep her rabbits as house pets, thousands of people do, dont be condescending!!

Chaz, you should follow Gnashers example, and allow you furry little rabbits to roam free (as nature intended!!!!!!!, oh but wait!!, they might get ripped apart by those pesky foxes!!!

P.S.... sorry so late coming back, but only just got Internet back on!!!!
Maybe I will, I'll tell you what, I'll try it for a day, and see if they come back

(I've been having problems with the internet too, I tried to come on here with my phone, and then that didn't work, but the forum registered that I was on so all of the posts in the user CP was reset, so now I've got to find all the ones that I've missed )
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Just wanted to add..
I am SO jealous of those that have seen badgers...I really want to see badgers and sadly have never seen one.
I've seen a few badgers, but thats because of work, and tbh I'm quite scared of them, we have to go in pens with them, and although most if not all of them are normally calm and sleepy, when your in a pen with a scared and injured badger and you have to try and clean in out its quite scary knowing their bite also when there in the hospital sometimes they are so strong they can move the metal divide in the cages when your cleaning them out . Another thing, did you know that they are the only thing that can open hedgehogs up when there curled up.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I absolutely abhor snares too - and unfortunately have to live with them as my husband is head shepherd on a shooting estate Two of my dogs got caught in snares recently. Flame (GSD) had one round her muzzle which was extremely tight and I would hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been there quickly to help her out. The other dog that was caught around the neck was one of my hubby's working dogs and thankfully she didn't panic and I was able to let her free with relative ease. I wish they would be banned and I often have heated discussions with the keepers up here about them. However, I also hate lamping foxes at night (which is also a regular occurrence where I live) as it is not easy to cleanly shoot and kill a fox that is fleeing for its life over heather I can understand why keepers cannot allow foxes around their release pens and also, as this is a grouse moor, they want to protect the ground nesting birds. However, what I don't understand is that it seems that every fox up here has to be extinguished. They won't tolerate any at all, which I find hard to stomach. Especially when I heard of a vixen with six cubs being killed last year Not one was allowed to live.

Part of the reason I believe that fox hunting on horseback is all about the thrill of the sport, is that if they were seriously wanting to control foxes they would use dogs such as lurchers, which could catch and kill a fox with relative ease and in a much shorter space of time - ie no long, drawn out chase. But, hey, where is the fun in that?!
God, I'm glad that your dogs were ok, someone round near where I live was setting snares, and it scared the life out of me that one of mine would get caught, I can't imagine how you felt at that time. Thats another problem with snares though, there not very prey specific, any animal can get caught in them.

Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
The only reason I think of foxhounds is because I have only ever lived in innercity Birmingham and this is how it is portrayed to us in the media. I just remember when the ban was coming in that was the topic that the many foxhounds would have to be pts as you can never home them in an ordinary household environment!
The media is great isn't it , they will only give you want they want to put across, and what they want to put across is whatever will evoke the most emotion, and loads of dogs being pts will do just that
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Hello Jackbox

Pest control covers a wide area, foxes are considered pests....
are they? according to whom and by what criteria?
(i always thought a pest was a species not native to its land?)

doing dispatching the vermin, as quickly and humanly as possible,
again - vermin? according to whom and what criteria?
does man count as vermin to the fox?
So tell me, what would be the most humane stress free way to kill the Fox!! have you an alternative , ???
Yes - shooting (see my earlier posts)
Maybe not "more humane", but definitely not "less humane"
There probably isnt a "stress free way" to kill anything.
The closest thing to fit that criteria is sudden and immediate death (hounds or bullets wouldnt make the grade).

In terms of a fox, id say a rocket propelled grenade would do the trick.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Tell the cat then, that enjoys the thrill of the chase and the kill, not for survival but for the enjoyment of it.

Pest control covers a wide area, foxes , rats, are considered pests.... is it OK then to kill the pesky rat by using terrier men and their dogs, but not OK to kill the fox with the same ethos...dogs!!!!! doing dispatching the vermin, as quickly and humanly as possible,

Do you not think the rat is terrorised when it runs for its life , knowing the dogs are going to get it.
So what about people who consider animals, that you don’t, pests? Some people think dogs are pests… would you agree? I don’t, and I don’t agree foxes are pests either. That is MY opinion.

And no, I don’t think it is right to kill rats either, unless the rat is known to be carrying disease. A few years ago, we had mice in our garage. We caught them humanely and released them. I would never set a trap that would kill them. and yes, i do think the rat is terrorised, which is why i dont like that either!

What about just leaving them alone??? Instead of committing needless murder! and if a fox has to be killed, absolutely HAS to be, then I think a more humane way would be to get a skilled marksmen to shoot the fox. Much less of a terrifying chase, and a quicker death.

No they dont, pro hunt will tell you the reason for fox hunting is pest control.

The thrill of the chase and the social side is a seperate entity.

No one is denying the enjoyment of a day following hounds, there is nothing to compare being out at the crack of dawn on a frosty cold winter morning, with all that horse power and nature at its rawest around you!!!

But as you so rightly put me straight, you have no experience of what you are again condemning
And do you believe it is for population control? I don’t, and if that is the true reason, it doesn’t work. And what kind of person enjoys chasing an animal, that is terrified, and know that the poor animal will be killed at the end of it??
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 08:32 PM
And no, I don’t think it is right to kill rats either, unless the rat is known to be carrying disease. A few years ago, we had mice in our garage. We caught them humanely and released them. I would never set a trap that would kill them. and yes, i do think the rat is terrorised, which is why i dont like that either!
leptospirosis mean anything to you? I'm currently doing some work at Tiggywinkles, and even they can't accept rats, as they carry so many dieseases.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/ratdiseases.htm

So although rats may be healthy, they are still a pest that can cause harm to people and other animals.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
leptospirosis mean anything to you? I'm currently doing some work at Tiggywinkles, and even they can't accept rats, as they carry so many dieseases.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/ratdiseases.htm

So although rats may be healthy, they are still a pest that can cause harm to people and other animals.
yes, and that is why i said unless they are carrying diseases. who are we to kill off ANY animal of a species? rats are here for a reason, and they deserve to be just as much as we do. so i do not agree at all with killing perfectly healthy rats.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 09:05 PM
yes, and that is why i said unless they are carrying diseases. who are we to kill off ANY animal of a species? rats are here for a reason, and they deserve to be just as much as we do. so i do not agree at all with killing perfectly healthy rats.
Uum, aren't rats here because of sailors??

But even a healthy rat can carry dieseases which can harm others, including other people and animals.
Page 70 of 94 « First < 20 60 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 80 > Last »