Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I agree with Tassle and all those who would like to see the thread closed. As far as I can see it serves no useful purpose.
Help and advice was not not requested here and was clearly not wanted. In fact I have misgivings about the real reason the thread was started at all.

Sorry, I could not take seriously any 'updates' from someone who has previously admitted on a number of occasions (including in this thread) to stretching the truth and a person who clearly has so little understanding of dogs that any behaviour Ben displays could be misinterpreted or tailored to suit the TSs original pronouncements anyway.

I am saddened and sickened that anyone can take on an abused dog and treat it with such a lack of consideration.

Apologies if my being candid upsets anyone but Admin did ask for opinions. I just wish if people can't be bothered to take the time and trouble to understand and make allowances for the dogs they accept into their 'care' they would leave them alone.
Who said anything about taking what is reported seriously.

It just makes sence to keep the Ben related stuff in the one thread, rather than have Gnasher start a new one every time she has something she'd like to say on the subject.

Like I said I really do understand why you and others want it locked, but unless Gnasher is prevented from posting about Ben and his erm, training completely its unlikely to go away...She'll keep posting, as I suspect she wants to be seen to be proving us wrong.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
How about leaving this thread open - but only so that the OP can answer this:
It'll be interesting to see if I get a reply to that and even more so to find out what the answer is.

Of course she could always reply by pm.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Who said anything about taking what is reported seriously.

It just makes sence to keep the Ben related stuff in the one thread, rather than have Gnasher start a new one every time she has something she'd like to say on the subject.

Like I said I really do understand why you and others want it locked, but unless Gnasher is prevented from posting about Ben and his erm, training completely its unlikely to go away...She'll keep posting, as I suspect she wants to be seen to be proving us wrong.
Hi Tazer some people may take the updates seriously and what is the point of reading updates made by someone you don't take seriously.

See Posting Guideline number 8
''Please do not start threads about any locked thread. Please do not start threads with a similar topic to a locked thread either - the purpose of locking a thread is to end discussion on that topic''.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
OP (Gnasher) Is there any point to this thread remaining open? Would you rather it closed?

Everyone else - same question, is there anything positive that can come out of this thread now?
I think keep it open until she answers the vital questions.Shes got plenty of time to posts on orther threads & send out loads of PMs, but no time to answer simple questions,( or train her dog).
TBH its not up to her if its kept open, but to dogsey.
If she rather her training mwethods were not disccussed she should have thought twice of posting it, (& more than twice about doing that to her dog)

Originally Posted by tazer View Post
If Gnasher is going to keep posting updates on Ben's progress, then the topic is going to keep coming up. So personally, I'd rather have it contained to one thread rather than several.

However, I totally understand why others want it locked.
i agree

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Whether it is closed or not, I think there is a point that needs to be discussed.

Gnasher reports that the feeling from a collar is similar to that of a
. Her OH likens it to the sensation of an electric fence. I found the sensation more disturbing than either of those experiences. What this tells us is that individuals feel the sensations differently and dogs are no different.

One very important point is that I tried the collar on my arm, so did Gnasher's OH (not sure where Gnasher tried it, but my guess is on the arm).

On a dog the collar is fitted high on the very sensitive throat area. The sensation will be greatly increased (try one finger pressure on your arm then that same pressure high on the throat for an effective demonstration and feel the difference)

Gnasher, even if your dog feels the collar in the same way you did, can you imagine the sheer terror of having the feeling of constricting muscles on your throat???

Your dog yelped. I don't believe he yelped in surprise. Of course, we will never know for sure, but the mere fact that without any guidance he returned to his safety net (his owners) definitely points to more than surprise being felt by Ben
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
hmm well inital thought was gnasher has been given some amazing advice and offers of help
People have explained why they are so concerned
but she really isnt listning or answering anyones questions really
BUT she is going to keep on about her great recal (until it suddenly fails) and new people might stumble on a thread and not have all the facts and think she has a great methods and then try it
Hopefully they would be able to read here why we feel this is not a fix but a dangerous temp fix

I actually find the slendertone very sore on higher settings - it feels like it is burning my skin (it prob is)
and electric fences are very painful to me - bad enought with my hand there where I can move it away and control it - but round my neck where I have no idea why its happening and cant stop it

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I couldn't use the Slendertone at all (what a waste of money that was) as I found it very, very uncomfortable even on the lowest setting.

Electric fences - as a kid and being stupid, a group of us grabbed hold of one as a bet. It actually turned my wrist blue and it throbbed for ages afterwards.

The use of both these things, of course, were my choice. Ben and other dogs like Ben, don't have a choice in whether or not their owner uses a shock collar. They have that choice foist upon them. Oh if only dogs could talk!!!!!
I had a slender tone, one where you had to put jelly on all the pads & strap them on to different parts of your body, after a while i just couldnt face putting them on it was so bad. Horrific on anything other
the lowest setting & even that made me want to pee!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I think the thread should be closed, the op is never going to admit that the use of e-collars is wrong and painful and the rest of us are just going around in circles asking her to justify her/OH actions.

I also think there should be a ban on discussing e-collars on here, the threads always end up the same, the odd few that recommend them, and the rest of us that get upset at the thought of a dog being abused in this manner.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh here we go-----same old Adam/Lou/denis stuff but now out of the mouth of an owner who can't be bothered rather than a trainer.

Yuk.

rune
Are you telling me I am liar? I have used the collar on myself, and I can assure you it does not hurt.

I have already explained what it felt like, I do not propose to do so again.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I think the thread should be closed, the op is never going to admit that the use of e-collars is wrong and painful and the rest of us are just going around in circles asking her to justify her/OH actions.

I also think there should be a ban on discussing e-collars on here, the threads always end up the same, the odd few that recommend them, and the rest of us that get upset at the thought of a dog being abused in this manner.
No, why I should I admit to something that is not true? I hve used the collar on myself, and it is no worse or no better than my Slendertone machine that I used in the late 70's in a failed attempt to make myself slim!

I have just had the best day I have had for a long time, in beautiful warm sunshine, walking for 3 or 4 hours with my beautiful dogs round Harlestone Firs. We had a simply amazing time, Ben was an absolute star, and we spent a very nice couple of hours afterwards in a local pub, followed by a delicious home cooked meal at home.

Btw, no need to zap Ben, he is continuing to be Mr Perfect! I am so proud of him
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, why I should I admit to something that is not true? I hve used the collar on myself, and it is no worse or no better than my Slendertone machine that I used in the late 70's in a failed attempt to make myself slim!

I have just had the best day I have had for a long time, in beautiful warm sunshine, walking for 3 or 4 hours with my beautiful dogs round Harlestone Firs. We had a simply amazing time, Ben was an absolute star, and we spent a very nice couple of hours afterwards in a local pub, followed by a delicious home cooked meal at home.

Btw, no need to zap Ben, he is continuing to be Mr Perfect! I am so proud of him
I also had a slendertone machine and there is no way it made me yelp when it was switched on!

Bully for you having a good day out, it still doesn't justify what you did to your dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I think keep it open until she answers the vital questions.Shes got plenty of time to posts on orther threads & send out loads of PMs, but no time to answer simple questions,( or train her dog).
TBH its not up to her if its kept open, but to dogsey.
If she rather her training mwethods were not disccussed she should have thought twice of posting it, (& more than twice about doing that to her dog)

i agree

I had a slender tone, one where you had to put jelly on all the pads & strap them on to different parts of your body, after a while i just couldnt face putting them on it was so bad. Horrific on anything other
the lowest setting & even that made me want to pee!
I don't remember the jelly!! I used mine back in the late 70's - you had to dampen these round plastic discs and strap them to your body via velcro straps. Even on a high setting, I cannot say they hurt, it was just uncomfortable because your stomach muscles contracted so much that it felt like a mild punch in the stomach. The e collar feels like a very low setting of the Slendertone.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I think it is the dogs history that sticks in my throat----setting aside the fact that she bred him and then presumably sold him to an unsuitable home.

What also sticks in my throat is the fact that she seems to want to be congratulated for keeping what she thinks is a difficult dog---when hundreds of people do the same and do it far better than she has.

Then of course there are all the contradictory posts which change with the wind.

We ALL give up things so that we can keep dogs, that is a lifestyle choice----if you don't want that lifestyle don't choose it!

We all give time to our dogs over and above the walking---if you can't do that get a furby.

rune
I DID NOT BREED BEN!! I owned Hal, who was his father. The owner of the bitch was a lovely guy called Mike, who was an Orthodontist who lived in Hampshire, and owned Skye, Ben's mother.

Please get your facts STRAIGHT before libelling me, so that I can be clear about who to sue, and for what
Closed Thread
Page 70 of 83 « First < 20 60 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 80 > Last »