Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I have sat back for a while, whilst reading every reply and considering both sides.

First of all, I repeat what I said earlier that I can see how much people get out of showing their dogs - after all, many of us enjoy the odd fun show, so the feeling one gets from "proper showing", and ultimately Crufts, must be wonderful.

However, it seems to me that the pro Crufts contingent on this thread are totally unable to accept that there may be problems, and any posts which cite instances of possible wrongdoing in the breeding/showing world are tossed aside either without being fully answered or are branded "false" and without substance.

There have been so many detrimental documentaries and articles in numerous newspapers about the kennel club and some breeders, backed up by hard evidence, and these have been viewed and read by millions of people. Many of these people, including myself, have taken the trouble to do a little research. To go into it all on here would take up too much room, but one example of breeding to standard gone crazy is the Boxer. I looked at a picture of the original lovely head of this dog, and then at a modern Boxer which is seen all over the place. I know which one I prefer - if a squashed nose which causes breathing troubles in some dogs is what is required to win a class then yes, I am anti showing and therefore Crufts. This is only one example..........and like millions of others, I feel that Crufts is badly tarnished.

The pro Crufts corner can argue all they like that the BBC and Pedigree both disappeared in a puff of smoke after that fateful year of the overweight, struggling to breath, Peke and the subsequent damning documentaries, for any reason other than making a stand against something that seemed to have lost it's way ........but the fact of the matter is that the Kennel Club seemed to take something seriously because they set about changing things, albeit slowly.

If something is set in motion which reverses some of the dreadful things that have been done to some dogs in the name of perfection, then I might reconsider my opinion of Crufts. I have many doggy friends some of whom take part in showing, or shooting with gundogs etc. etc. , and some who have never had a dog. There is not one who is currently enamoured with Crufts, but like myself, are willing to keep an eye on things to see how they go.

You can all argue all you like that the atmosphere is wonderful, the dogs enjoy it, etc. and I don't dispute that. I am just saying that for a great many people who used to enjoy it over the past decades, the magic has gone for the moment.
Nice post.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I dont think its a case of not believing their is wrong doing within the breeding and showing world. If there wasnt there would be no rescues, no puppy farmers and such. Of course there are wrong doings in both and anyone that cant admit that has their head so far in the sand I would be scared. The problem people have is with them that cant accept with bad mostly comes good. Of course their are bad breeders, but dont that let you believe all breeders are. Of course there are people showing who think more of competing that the dogs their competing with. But this again does not mean everyone that shows sees their dogs as a tool/piece of equipement/machine/robot or what ever else other than a spoilt, loved family member.
I totally agree......there are far more good breeders than bad, and show people are I am sure mostly good folk who care very very much for their dogs. However - this does not alter the fact that breeding in a great many cases has been forced to follow the "standard". It is this standard that has to revert to a more natural state for many breeds before Crufts can truly hold it's head high again.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I totally agree......there are far more good breeders than bad, and show people are I am sure mostly good folk who care very very much for their dogs. However - this does not alter the fact that breeding in a great many cases has been forced to follow the "standard". It is this standard that has to revert to a more natural state for many breeds before Crufts can truly hold it's head high again.
All breeds(with possibly the exception of the original Canaan dogs)are man made so how can they revert to being"natural"-that would mean they all revert to the first domesticated dogs !! Not something people nowadays would want to live with on the whole
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Do you mean the black crossbreeds & mongrels she imports from Ireland ????

Don't you think we have enough unwanted dogs in the UK without importing more from Ireland ??
Erm whats wrong with black crossbreeds and mongrels being bought over to be rehomed?

Oh I know all about dogs being imported from Ireland!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I have sat back for a while, whilst reading every reply and considering both sides.

First of all, I repeat what I said earlier that I can see how much people get out of showing their dogs - after all, many of us enjoy the odd fun show, so the feeling one gets from "proper showing", and ultimately Crufts, must be wonderful.

However, it seems to me that the pro Crufts contingent on this thread are totally unable to accept that there may be problems, and any posts which cite instances of possible wrongdoing in the breeding/showing world are tossed aside either without being fully answered or are branded "false" and without substance.

There have been so many detrimental documentaries and articles in numerous newspapers about the kennel club and some breeders, backed up by hard evidence, and these have been viewed and read by millions of people. Many of these people, including myself, have taken the trouble to do a little research. To go into it all on here would take up too much room, but one example of breeding to standard gone crazy is the Boxer. I looked at a picture of the original lovely head of this dog, and then at a modern Boxer which is seen all over the place. I know which one I prefer - if a squashed nose which causes breathing troubles in some dogs is what is required to win a class then yes, I am anti showing and therefore Crufts. This is only one example..........and like millions of others, I feel that Crufts is badly tarnished.

The pro Crufts corner can argue all they like that the BBC and Pedigree both disappeared in a puff of smoke after that fateful year of the overweight, struggling to breath, Peke and the subsequent damning documentaries, for any reason other than making a stand against something that seemed to have lost it's way ........but the fact of the matter is that the Kennel Club seemed to take something seriously because they set about changing things, albeit slowly.

If something is set in motion which reverses some of the dreadful things that have been done to some dogs in the name of perfection, then I might reconsider my opinion of Crufts. I have many doggy friends some of whom take part in showing, or shooting with gundogs etc. etc. , and some who have never had a dog. There is not one who is currently enamoured with Crufts, but like myself, are willing to keep an eye on things to see how they go.

You can all argue all you like that the atmosphere is wonderful, the dogs enjoy it, etc. and I don't dispute that. I am just saying that for a great many people who used to enjoy it over the past decades, the magic has gone for the moment.
Shame you sat back so long. Well balance post in my opinion
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
All breeds(with possibly the exception of the original Canaan dogs)are man made so how can they revert to being"natural"-that would mean they all revert to the first domesticated dogs !! Not something people nowadays would want to live with on the whole
She didn't say natural---she said 'more natural'

rune
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh dear----now no one is allowed to help rehome dogs from other countries.
You really have got it in for her haven't you? Maybe because she got a lot right and had the courage to do something about it. Beverley Cuddy had been trying for years as well but didn't have a big enough soap box.

Well done her IMO.

If someone came into agility or HTM and did something which helped the dogs I'd be applauding them not knocking them.
rune
Jemima is a hypocrite & no I don't think we should be importing unwanted dogs when there are dogs here in the UK that are being PTS because there are no homes for them-whilst it is seen as very righteous to save an Irish unwanted dog unwanted UK dogs continue to die.

As for her getting it right-she had to use non KC dogs to illustrate badly bred KC registered dogs !! She sledged the German bred GSDs at Crufts-but the KC have nothing to do with these dogs breeding & health status(although they both were fit for function as their Schutzhund qualifications, health tests(compulsory) & KKL status indicate)

I have never condoned close inbreeding, using unhealth tested dogs for breeding nor breeding for fashion(hm which brings me to designer dogs-no no that's a whole different ball game), but she tarred all breeders who breed & register pedigree dogs with the same brush-The BYB, Puppy farmers & pet breeders within days had jumped on the bandwagon-proudly stating in their adverts that their dogs were healthy because they weren't KC registered(forgetting to add that they weren't health tested either !) !!!

Beverley Cuddy is also a hypocrite the Bearded Collies she bred were exceptionally in bred(have a look on the Bearded Collie database if you don't believe me), she bred from dogs that did not meet the breed standard & judged & placed similar dogs, yet now she is seen as a paragon of virtue !!

No one can force dogs to do agility or HTM(either of which I am a fan of BTW)I know nothing of the training methods because I have never been interested in either & as for Flyball Yuck !!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Erm whats wrong with black crossbreeds and mongrels being bought over to be rehomed?

Oh I know all about dogs being imported from Ireland!
Whilst there is one unwanted dog in a rescue here in the UK we should not be importing dogs that take the available homes from dogs that are already here
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
She didn't say natural---she said 'more natural'

rune
How much more natural do they need to be ??? unpredictable like the Alsatians of the 1950s ? The square backed ones so beloved of joe public ??

No breed of dog as I stated before is in any way natural with the exception of the original Canaan dogs who are probably the nearest to the earliest of domesticated dogs
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I do think people should realize that Crufts has always been a commerical venture from the very outset, Charles Cruft was a salesman & organized the original shows to make money.

It was only after his death that the Kennel Club got directly involved

Maybe we should go back to the"good old"days of CC when dogs had to remain at the show on their benches for the full length of the show(more than one day BTW) & live in huge kennels owned by very rich people.

As for the overweight Pekingese, was he overweight ?? do you have actual proof of this ?? I think if I had been wearing such a thick fur coat under the spotlights & camera lights I might have needed to sit on a cold pack
Page 70 of 103 « First < 20 60 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 80 > Last »