Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Taken from the KC link:

"Dog show judges are also educated to judge to those standards ensuring that dogs with obvious problems that could affect their quality of life do not win, and that the rewards go to fit, healthy dogs."

In that case, the Pekignese featured last night who won BOB, should, in the first instance, not have won and in the second instance, should have been stripped of it's title.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Taken from the KC link:

"Dog show judges are also educated to judge to those standards ensuring that dogs with obvious problems that could affect their quality of life do not win, and that the rewards go to fit, healthy dogs."

In that case, the Pekignese featured last night who won BOB, should, in the first instance, not have won and in the second instance, should have been stripped of it's title.
I agree, the pekinese that won in 2003 did no favours for either Crufts or the KC, and was particularly picked on by the BBC to illustrate the problem.

The KC statement you quoted is quite simply untrue, showing is so corrupt and riddled with self interest. Dog health has taken a back seat in the pursuit of breed standard.

One particular thing I was concerned about was Dobes that are now coming through with tails, seem to have a pronounced curl on some tails and this was loosely linked to spinal deformation in the BBC's programme.

Could it be the decades of tail docking hiding a genetic disorder such as wobblers? Only a thought mind, just an observation.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
I agree, the pekinese that won in 2003 did no favours for either Crufts or the KC, and was particularly picked on by the BBC to illustrate the problem.

The KC statement you quoted is quite simply untrue, showing is so corrupt and riddled with self interest. Dog health has taken a back seat in the pursuit of breed standard.

One particular thing I was concerned about was Dobes that are now coming through with tails, seem to have a pronounced curl on some tails and this was loosely linked to spinal deformation in the BBC's programme.

Could it be the decades of tail docking hiding a genetic disorder such as wobblers? Only a thought mind, just an observation.
If I am not mistaken the vet (I think) who made the statement on connecting the two, used the cork screw tail of the pug... in the connection.........a little different than a pronounced curve a Dobe has in his tail carriage

Surely if a dog had a genetic disorder such as wobbler's , a tail or lack of would not make any difference??
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Ridiculous.... even if the BBC stopped covering the show.... it will still go on..

It was around before the BBC and will be around after they loose interest..

But I doubt very much they will stop covering...after all it all boils down to money for the BBC...are they prepared to loose the coverage and all it brings to them ..over a negative biased programme...well we will wait and see..

P.S.......good riddance to the BBC, if they do stop coverage.... we may just get a channel who is more interested in the dogs that those buffoons who present it....such as the wonderful " Bruce Fogle and his offspring.
The purpose of dogs should not be about prancing round a show ring trying to earn rosetts or money but instead be good companions or indeed to work for a good purpose ie dogs for deaf, blind or police work. In your opinion your 'interest' in dogs is of the wrong type and the root of all the suffering we all witnessed in last nights shocking program.

It is proven that inbreeding causes many of these poor health issues and therefor the case for my 'cross breed' and not 'designer' dog strengthens.

I can not for the life of me understand how the show fraternity do accept some responsibility for the issues raised lastnight as if there were no shows there'd be no 'breed standard' and if there were no breed standard there'd be less suffering. Ok we have to protect the breeds from slipping into extinction but we should be doing this in a sensible way and without the mutant attributes!!!

HEALTHY HAPPY DOGS FIRST ROSETTES AND MONEY SECOND....
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
The vast majority of people on here would slate those who produce designer crossbreeds because they are doing it for the money and not for the good of the dog. The way I see it, many people who breed bulldogs (and yes, I have chosen the obvious example) are striving for perfect specimens in accordance to the KC breed standard. This "perfect" specimen is obviously an unhealthy dog who struggles with the simplist of tasks in day to day life, like breathing. Furthermore, if they do manage to produce dogs who win regularly in shows, this is further incentive to produce more litters of the same. Is this not for the money and status as well? The way I see it, such breeders are also in it for the cash and not for the good of the dog, much like designer crossbreed breeders.

Anyway, I enjoyed both the programme last night and I enjoy Crufts. I watch the showing part simply because I like to see all the different breeds. As far as the cantering around the ring and fluffing up the fur goes, it's all a load of rubbish IMO, just pompous drivel.

I think the KC needs to change some of the breed standards so it becomes unnaceptable and frowned upon to see certain dogs suffering because a select few people think a dog should look a certain way. Shame on the KC for allowing these breeds to evolve so detrimentally.
Good post Leanne....
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Jackbox I did say curl, not curve, and some have this curling trait. My Dobes have tails but hold them straight or curved depending on their mood.

I was refering to Docking being done regardless, so as the vast majority had no tail, how could you tell what they were like bar the few that were undocked.

Having a tail or not makes no difference to their genetics (unless of course they were born without) I agree, but seeing some very curly tails recently that pigtail or in lesser cases curl round to touch the back might indicate a problem that has been masked all this years, not intentionally mind, but masked nevertheless.

Just a thought, no facts, just the programme got me thinking there maybe a link, of course it could nothing at all.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by dogmarley View Post
The purpose of dogs should not be about prancing round a show ring trying to earn rosetts or money but instead be good companions or indeed to work for a good purpose ie dogs for deaf, blind or police work. In your opinion your 'interest' in dogs is of the wrong type and the root of all the suffering we all witnessed in last nights shocking program.
My what an arrogant statement .....do not presume to tell me what my interests in dogs are or whether they are wrong or right, you do not know me or my dogs.

And it may come as some news to you, but most of those dogs prancing round the ring, are well loved family pets first and last...

There is a saying."you take the best dog home"
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
Jackbox I did say curl, not curve, and some have this curling trait. My Dobes have tails but hold them straight or curved depending on their mood.

I was refering to Docking being done regardless, so as the vast majority had no tail, how could you tell what they were like bar the few that were undocked.

Having a tail or not makes no difference to their genetics (unless of course they were born without) I agree, but seeing some very curly tails recently that pigtail or in lesser cases curl round to touch the back might indicate a problem that has been masked all this years, not intentionally mind, but masked nevertheless.

Just a thought, no facts, just the programme got me thinking there maybe a link, of course it could nothing at all.

My apologies... in the wrong word

But I dont understand how a genetic trait would suddenly show in a dog with a tail, if previously docked....surely any genetic faults would surface in a dog (if the gene was there) be it docked or full tailed.........

I think the tail carriage on previously docked breeds , is another issue, which will need to be addressed.... as with docking , it is not something we have had to worry over before....
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by dogmarley View Post

It is proven that inbreeding causes many of these poor health issues and therefor the case for my 'cross breed' and not 'designer' dog strengthens.

I can not for the life of me understand how the show fraternity do accept some responsibility for the issues raised lastnight as if there were no shows there'd be no 'breed standard' and if there were no breed standard there'd be less suffering. Ok we have to protect the breeds from slipping into extinction but we should be doing this in a sensible way and without the mutant attributes!!!

HEALTHY HAPPY DOGS FIRST ROSETTES AND MONEY SECOND....
Pray tell me what was your designer dog bred to do ???(apart from making the breeding mega bucks)?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Pray tell me what was your designer dog bred to do ???(apart from making the breeding mega bucks)?
no thats different.... it is a family pet, dont you know!!!!!!!!
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »