Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
thanx for that stevie.
although in my profesional experience, 'our daughter got him for us from the BDH' has usually meant someone conning the rescue by applying for a dog with the intention of passing it onto another person as other person would be turned down if they applied themselves. had a few try that on with me, but i sussed them.
Must admit though, felt the thread was running negative on the rescue movement with lots of 'opinions given as fact', which weren't at the time, although you have found out since they now are. Plus other examples, such as the one about the bad homing by the Blue Cross, which wasn't a homing by the Blue cross at all. But simply a number handed out from a list of dogs waiting to come in. We all have waiting lists. That is all they are - lists. The dogs arent ours, have nothing to do with us. Many of them wont even make it into the rescue due to lack of space. So i guess the guy at Blue Cross was just trying to give a poor dog another chance, gotta respect him for that?
If the dog ended up in the wrong home, that's the original owners fault.

I left a rescue due to bad practices, mainly mismatching.

Well done in sorting out the mess though stevie
I left the RSPCA because I fund raising box went to them the other went elswehere, but that's another story.

Owing BC's I often get asked by people ....do they get on with kids. I usually answer 'getting on with kids is not the usual issue, it's whether you get on with them, and by that I mean have you the energy, to keep up both exercise and mental stimulation. Alot of people don't know what you mean by mental stimulation.
The BC in question (IMO) was bored, sitting with the elderly couple and walking (on lead) at thier speed....which is very slow, must be so frustrating, that once let off the lead....why would he go back to them...I wouldn't of done that's for sure. chasing squirrels obviously was more fun.

I hope he can now (well once he moves on to Dog handler) be a very happy boy............bet he will be
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
The reason I hadn't said anything before ''for definate'' was because I only found out today when talking to the Police Dog Handler, who has been talking to the daughter. But I did say Joan had said 'Our daughter got him for us from BDH' I had no reason to disbelieve her, it was your own assumption that this may not be the case.
I appreciate that you have been looking at things from all angles, but unfortunately it's not an ideal world.....I wish it were But hopefully it will be a ideal out-come. I didn't take the approach of ' that is wrong that you have this dog' because they are really old and I wanted them to come to the conclusion themselves, as I don't want people saying they were bullied them into giving up the dog.
Now by seeing how much work (in just a few days) has been put into this dog ( by the Dog handler not me) they are realising that this is not really a dog they have the
time or energy for. I understand that is what she is going to speak to me about tomorrow, where I will suggest that they let him go to the Dog Handler, who does and wants him as a pet too.

I am glad you do re-homing, it sounds as if you match perfectly, I wish there were more like you.xx Keep up the good work
thats brilliant welldone steph ,if this dos turn out that ,the dog handler ,dos end up with the collie for pet ,he will have a perfect owner ,and the old folks will get older quiet dog , that dosnt need much exercise ,just a cuddle and food and little gentle walk
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
thats brilliant welldone steph ,if this dos turn out that ,the dog handler ,dos end up with the collie for pet ,he will have a perfect owner ,and the old folks will get older quiet dog , that dosnt need much exercise ,just a cuddle and food and little gentle walk
what about a grey hound (little exercise ) just a thought
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Morning Sis.......... With a bit of luck....thats the plan.

PS not really well done to me though.....well done to Jim, the Dog handler xxxxx he's the one doing all the hard work....Bless
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
what about a grey hound (little exercise ) just a thought
One that didn't get used for racing though Yes...... . Somehow though seeing hubby with his walking sticks I see a 'old' dog that can just plod along, who was maybe owned by a old person before, and is happy with the tlc and sofa.

Not like Lofty who I believe has dug holes everywhere in the garden. Bless him
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Glad to hear Lofty's getting the help he needs.
Well done youngstevie for stopping to help them in the first place, if you'd been too busy to bother.........
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Just read this thread and well done you for getting involved... it has brought back some painful memories for me though.... years ago when we had Sam our Dachshund, our old neighbours went and bought a stunning BC pup (chocolate tri colouring) called him Smokey... he was far too much for two sisters in their 60's, he was very energetic and would jump about and run off to the woods on his own Then one day he came onto our front garden and attacked Sam who was sitting on the doorstep, Sam never really recovered from the shock and died a few weeks later (he also had disc probs)... Needless to say I firmly believe certain dogs should only be homed with active people who can give them what they need
So well done hun, maybe this boy will get a fun home at last!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Just read this thread and well done you for getting involved... it has brought back some painful memories for me though.... years ago when we had Sam our Dachshund, our old neighbours went and bought a stunning BC pup (chocolate tri colouring) called him Smokey... he was far too much for two sisters in their 60's, he was very energetic and would jump about and run off to the woods on his own Then one day he came onto our front garden and attacked Sam who was sitting on the doorstep, Sam never really recovered from the shock and died a few weeks later (he also had disc probs)... Needless to say I firmly believe certain dogs should only be homed with active people who can give them what they need
So well done hun, maybe this boy will get a fun home at last!!
Quite. I have MET nasty BC's.....not a pretty sight. Me, I am mean.....SO mean.....I NEVER recommend anyone to have a BC....how hypocritical am I....but I know what type they are..and I am not sure I'd want to own one that was bored and a thinker too. I always say, if you have never owned one, find out FIRST what they are like,read up, study the breed etc., not for first time owners with no experience and not for the faint hearted. But beautiful dogs in the right enviroment
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 09:48 AM
I had an English Springer in to trim last year who had terrible fear/aggression problems. He'd come from a well known rescue center and she'd asked for a dog that was good with kids
He bit me twice whilst I was trying to trim his nails and I suggested she took him in future to the vets to be sedated. In the end she ended up taking him back after he'd bit her youngest son, it broke her heart and put her off rescues for life.
I think in some circumstances they dont investigate the personality of the dogs and match them to the owners properly.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I had an English Springer in to trim last year who had terrible fear/aggression problems. He'd come from a well known rescue center and she'd asked for a dog that was good with kids
He bit me twice whilst I was trying to trim his nails and I suggested she took him in future to the vets to be sedated. In the end she ended up taking him back after he'd bit her youngest son, it broke her heart and put her off rescues for life.
I think in some circumstances they dont investigate the personality of the dogs and match them to the owners properly.
That is so sad. Recues can be so difficult....god Reah was a nightmare....but then I had no kids at home and spent the time and effort with her. Even when she hide behind chairs and snapped at people

It saddens me to think of these things happening, because I heard of one a few weeks back a Labrador with issues about having his feet touched.....sadly he (I believe) was taken back and PTS.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >