Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
This is one of the many reasons why I never read the Daily Record - they never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Often true, but don't forget that some Muslims were offended by the words "Merry Christmas" or cards from the Scottish Parliament, I think it was, and the trees as well as far as I can remember. They withdrew the cards because of this.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I get Christmas cards and presents from my Muslim Clients, again no doubt that was the same they did not get the majority views just 1 or 2.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
"Steve Ross, of Fleming Gardens, said, “Tayside Police may be forced to spend valuable funds on changing the postcard they have produced to advertise their new non-emergency phone number because a certain section of the community consider a dog to be dirty—just let’s get on with our lives and preserve British culture."

That certain section refers to the Muslim section of the community, I'm sure.

"“How can anyone find an image of a dog offensive? Absolutely no apology is necessary.

“The complainers should be reminded that Britain is a Christian country, full of people who love dogs.”"

Exactly.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I know plenty of muslims that are not anti dog, they are not even anti rottie
it only takes a few to cause a stir,

just like it only takes a few bad rotties to make the breed look bad! why???? because people judge breeds/ whole communities on the actions of a few,... just a thought
please read the last line on my signatures!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Azz - Westie_N is using the term ''Muslim Community in Dundee" because I believe this is the phrase used in the report she read, not because she personally thinks every Muslim in Dundee holds the same views!

wildmoor - It doesn't really matter if one person complained or one million people complained, the fact of the matter is, an apology was sent out and the advert was pulled from certain areas - this just shouldn't have happened. No apology was necessary, by apologizing for this we as the Great British nation are apologizing for being British! By pulling the ad we are changing our culture (yet again) for the minority. It is not the first time.

It is not a case of people believing everything they read in the paper, when you cut to the chase, at the end of the day the facts still remain that an apology sent out, that is where the problem lies and that is what people are disagreeing with!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
"Steve Ross, of Fleming Gardens, said, “Tayside Police may be forced to spend valuable funds on changing the postcard they have produced to advertise their new non-emergency phone number because a certain section of the community consider a dog to be dirty—just let’s get on with our lives and preserve British culture."

"“How can anyone find an image of a dog offensive? Absolutely no apology is necessary.

“The complainers should be reminded that Britain is a Christian country, full of people who love dogs.”"

Exactly.
You need to go back and read the other link, Muslim Shopkeepers etc are willing to display the card, can you not come up with your own quotes?
To me you are as bad as this Councillor Mr Asif: both bigots, maybe you should read incitement to religious hatred law before the authoritiesobtain your IP address.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Papers inciting trouble again then....
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I know plenty of muslims that are not anti dog, they are not even anti rottie
it only takes a few to cause a stir,

just like it only takes a few bad rotties to make the breed look bad! why???? because people judge breeds/ whole communities on the actions of a few,... just a thought
please read the last line on my signatures!!
Well said Shona

Originally Posted by random View Post
Azz - Westie_N is using the term ''Muslim Community in Dundee" because I believe this is the phrase used in the report she read, not because she personally thinks every Muslim in Dundee holds the same views!

wildmoor - It doesn't really matter if one person complained or one million people complained, the fact of the matter is, an apology was sent out and the advert was pulled from certain areas - this just shouldn't have happened. No apology was necessary, by apologizing for this we as the Great British nation are apologizing for being British! By pulling the ad we are changing our culture (yet again) for the minority. It is not the first time.

It is not a case of people believing everything they read in the paper, when you cut to the chase, at the end of the day the facts still remain that an apology sent out, that is where the problem lies and that is what people are disagreeing with!
Maybe the appology was given in a knee jerk reaction in the same way that all the bigots on here have responded, whether the cards have been pulled is as yet unconfirmed as there is conflicting stories on this I will await to hear from Tayside Police on that matter not the local rag.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Well said Shona

Maybe the appology was given in a knee jerk reaction in the same way that all the bigots on here have responded, whether the cards have been pulled is as yet unconfirmed as there is conflicting stories on this I will await to hear from Tayside Police on that matter not the local rag.
excuse me but how dare you call me a biggot????

if you read the post on here not one is rascist!!!!

its reactions like these that make ordinary folk stop saying how they feel!
well done!i shall await my apology thank you!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra
have you ever thought azz that maybe the THEM and US is not caused by "us"...
I didn't say it was. In fact I specifically laid some blame at the people complaining/banning, and those venting their spleens with generalisations. (Or did you have a different THEM and US in mind, alexandra....? )

I agree with you that "Those of the muslim community who seek this kind of publicity do their cause no favours whatsoever!" (assuming by "cause" you mean acceptance by non Muslims) But then it's not me who's fixated on seeing this as an issue of THEM vs US from which to choose sides and apportion blame to one side.

Originally Posted by Lionhound
This is one of the many reasons why I never read the Daily Record - they never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Thats why I think people need to start questioning what the papers spoon-feed them, and recognise the way there's money to be made from stoking outrage! And random, this IS about how the press treat these things. No-one here is defending the pulling of the advert.

Originally Posted by Wildmoor
hopefully this will backfire on him
Yes I hope so too. It just feeds the bigots.

Originally Posted by Westie_N

Exactly.
Oh Westie, you really are missing the point aren't you?

Again – where does it reveal the scale of this offence within the Muslim community (that strange spooky homogenous all-thinking-as-one entity LOL – even within Dundee)? Can you tell me?

You keep banging on about "the Muslim secton of the community (in Dundee)" - where does the paper say that the Muslim community (i.e. ALL of them) of Dundee were offended? Do you accept that it could have been a very very small number of people who would have been offended and/or complained? And if so, that to keep going on about the Muslim community is misleading?

If the paper worded it in such a way as to sound like it meant the whole Dundee Muslim community, did you honestly not think that that might have been incorrect and extremely unlikely?

None of this is meant to sound like I'm picking on you personally Westie, I'm just debating/challenging your points, that's all.

Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd say it's almost like some people WANT to believe it's a whole community that's offended, so that they can direct their outrage at a nice big target of "THEM". We know how the press like to create this sense of victimhood for people, facing impending doom from minorities or "ethnics" as they've now taken to calling them.

I agree it's completely bonkers to find an image of a dog so offensive as to complain about it. I agree that Britain is a Christian country in its history and constitutional framework. That said, I LONG for the day when we're a truly secular one, and people have cast off all their religions and superstitions.

But that's another topic!
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »