View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 02:00 PM
You know that is exactly what I was thinking, it just makes us seem aggressive too and stereotypical. It will leave them thinking "Ah I was right".

Best of to say nothing at all hold your head up high and walk past let your dog speak for itself. I have found that with this type of person regardless of the facts they just believe what they like anyway so dont bother wasting your breath on those too small minded to judge something they know nothing about.
reggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2005, 08:32 PM
many of times ive put on the smiley face and done exactly wat you've just said, and its thrown back in my face. when i give them a piece of my mind i dont swear, rant and rave i just say a few words that make them think. im not saying that every time i go out with them this happens and alot of the time were i walk the dogs, i know the majority of people that walk there dogs there anyway. but you get the odd one that relly anoys me.
p.s no offence taken
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 09:28 PM
I get it too (having a Bullmastiff), but as soon as I walk past them, I talk to Teagan about them in a baby voice!
lol

I'm getting sick at the moment...every time we go to the park near my house, a lady has 2 BC's, and they ALWAYS go for Teagan. Snarling, biting, growling and barking.
Teagan NEVER does anything back, just runs away. But this ladies dogs are still always off lead!
I've seen them do this to other dogs too, and I don't think it's fair. Her dogs are intimidating, but she doesn't do a damn thing about it.
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by reggie
i have 2 staffs and when im over the park or the feilds as soon as someone sees my dogs there puttin there dog on a lead straight away.before i used to just swollow it but now i approach the other dog owner and ask them out right why they have done this? id say 99% of the time they say its because youv,e got staffies.i reply with wat does that mean then. then they say well you know there viscious. i say do they look viscious have they come and attacked you or your dog, no? then i give them a piece of my mind and then walk off feelin proud that i have stuck up for the breed were as before i used to go home reeling with anger.
Hi Raggie
that is so the wrong way to do it
what i would do is if you see some1 coming then put your dogs. walk up to them and ask if there dogs are ok as yours are but you thought there's were not cos they cut a lead on them. that way they may let them off to play
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I get it too (having a Bullmastiff), but as soon as I walk past them, I talk to Teagan about them in a baby voice!
lol

I'm getting sick at the moment...every time we go to the park near my house, a lady has 2 BC's, and they ALWAYS go for Teagan. Snarling, biting, growling and barking.
Teagan NEVER does anything back, just runs away. But this ladies dogs are still always off lead!
I've seen them do this to other dogs too, and I don't think it's fair. Her dogs are intimidating, but she doesn't do a damn thing about it.
now this is a time where you need to say something. try talking to her and if nothing happens and her dogs are still let off then tell the dog warden or something
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm lucky in that my 2 are mostly dog friendly, they always get put on the lead as soon as I spot another dog though because situations can arise from nowhere. I am always smily and friendly with the other dog owners as we approach and quickly say the boys are friendly but over exuberant, is their dog friendly? If it is I make a point of letting the dogs greet and have a sniff. Then they see my 2 tails wagging whilst sniffing and more often than I would like the other owner will be surprised at how nice and friendly my dogs are for Staffies ...anyway everyone goes away happy, especially me because I've hopefully change another blinkered view... ok this doesn't happen every time you still get the odd scowl from an ignorant person but the more you spread the good reputation of your dogs the better I say !
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

26-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately if you are belligerant to other dog owners who MAY have had a bad experience with a Stafford or any other breed for that matter. You do not know the circumstances of that fear, you are only making assumptions that it is because you have staffies.

By confronting these people then all you may be doing is confirming their fears and beliefs about the breed and their owners.

Stan
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Doglistener
Unfortunately if you are belligerant to other dog owners who MAY have had a bad experience with a Stafford or any other breed for that matter. You do not know the circumstances of that fear, you are only making assumptions that it is because you have staffies.

By confronting these people then all you may be doing is confirming their fears and beliefs about the breed and their owners.

Stan

I hope your post was in answer to Reggie's and not mine
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

26-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by kirstie b
I hope your post was in answer to Reggie's and not mine
Hi Kirstie

My post was in reply to Reggies somewhat confrontational style. :smt062

Stan
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Reggie...

Don't you think that's a tad rude? First off...you obviously have no idea why people are putting their dogs on lead...my dogs are put on lead around others because I don't know 100% of the time how they'll act around a strange dog.

Coming across that way to people is doing nothing for the breed that you feel your sticking up for. Personally, if you approached me that way I would walk away with the assumption that Staffie owners must be as nuts as their dogs. (If I didn't already know what a great breed it was).

If someone is interested in your dog, they'll approach you. That's the time to get into a conversation...a friendly one at that.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >