Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Personally I would like the KC to make health testing for all breeds compulsary before registering a litter with them.
Agree absolutely 100%!
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
yes, my club strongly recommends hip scoring, but i have as i've said before (freedom of choice) .
Oh please, the tired overused stock phrase of `freedom of choice` is the lamest possible excuse for anyone breeding without hipscoring along with all other breed relevent tests. To not do so when breeding, imo, is stubborness, tightfistedness and disgracefully unethical.

i do hope the politicians & the KC don't try and impose another act like the docking ban & insist on hip scoring as well .
Oh I wish they would, along with insisting on every test available revelent to each and every breed and tightening up the pathetically lax laws pertaining to licensed breeders.

But then, I care about dog welfare, not human ego. Breeders who already do things the right way would shout from the rooftops for the same thing, its called good ethics and duty of care.
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Am afraid to say the breeder being a KC Accredited breeder would not interest me at all,I know several breeders who use this as a mega advertising tool,and whilst their animals have had basic health tests,they quite often will use an outside dog at stud,with no relelvant health tests at all,
after having bought an awfully dysplastic rott donkeys years ago,I for one will never go through that heartache again,
Wendy
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
when a breeder sells a registered pup and there's endorsements on the cert, he/she should insist the buyer signs a contract , also the contract should state the conditions to be met if the buyer wants the endorsements removed. (it's a minefield) !!
Why is it a minefield ? Its all clearly laid out by the KC :smt102

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=784

the buyer can meet all the conditions on the endorsements , but if the breeder adds the words (of good enough merit) in the contract, and perhaps has a dispute with the buyer later on, for what ever reason , i think the breeder can refuse to lift the endorsements. - correct me if i'm wrong.
Its all covered on the above link...
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by wendy taylor View Post
Am afraid to say the breeder being a KC Accredited breeder would not interest me at all,I know several breeders who use this as a mega advertising tool,and whilst their animals have had basic health tests,they quite often will use an outside dog at stud,with no relelvant health tests at all,
after having bought an awfully dysplastic rott donkeys years ago,I for one will never go through that heartache again,
Wendy
This is why a buyer should insist on seeing the health paperwork for both dam and sire
If you know for sure of Accredited Breeders not health testing both parents, [ as its one of the conditions for being accepted in the Scheme ], you should put in a formal complaint.
The only way to stop it is for people to do the right thing when they know thats being done, [ and are sure of the facts ], by an Accredited Breeder.
When being investigated, breeders are suspended from the scheme and if complaints are proven, can be struck off the list which would not be too good for their reputation...
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I did complain,am now known as trouble maker,and get treated like poop,
Wendy
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by wendy taylor View Post
I did complain,am now known as trouble maker,and get treated like poop,
Wendy
Wrongdoers will always behave badly when they get caught out. If you made a valid complaint then you did absolutely the right thing :smt001 Having a clear conscience is worth everything, thats something wrongdoers never get to experience so dont let sour grapes get to you
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 06:26 PM
it did get to me for a while,but now refuse to allow it too,
Wendy
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Word of mouth recommendations, Breed Club, KC Accredited Breeders, going to Breed shows [ for instance ], there are all sorts of ways for someone to easily find a good breeder while doing their research, in fact it should automatically be part of that research anyway imo :smt001
sadly 'accredited breeder' guarantees nothing (many 'commercial breeders' are accredited) - all it means is they paid their 15 quid for the the KC to refer to them as such!
Incidentally, if you have one or more breeds, and only health test etc on one of them, you are still referred to as an accredited breeder for all of them!

I refuse to pay the KC 15 quid for something I do and have done for years and believe every breeder has a duty to do in any case!

ooops sorry - the accredited breeder scheme is one of my soapbox subjects
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
One point on that earlier list that I have a slight issue with is the one about seeing other rooms in the home of the breeder, I'm sorry but I am not prepared to let all and sundry have a good old look around my home when they come to be interviewed with a view of going on my list, not everyone is honest and I dont want anyone clocking whats in my home, people are invited to visit me, they are allowed in certain parts of my home where my dogs are allowed, and thats it, that dosnt make me a bad breeder, just someone that likes to be careful!!!

Mo
That's fair enough Mo, I don't mean I want to check out the bedrooms, I just don't want to feel I am being kept away from other parts of the house for reasons other than privacy, if you see what I mean. I don't want a guided tour, but then I don't want to walk in, have all the doors shut, except for one room, if you see what I mean?
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >