Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Bella, thats the one, Id forgotten, pleased she is doing ok.

My point was NOT about you!

Why on earth would anybody buy a pedigree dog and NOT care about what its supposed to look like? Im sorry I dont understand that.
Ok. Repeating myself here but anyway, I said I wouldn't care about its parents having rosettes for apparently being the best example of their breed. Aside from looks, it is the Akita temperament that I like. As I said earlier and am saying again, I know what an Akita is supposed to look like. I don't need some judge to show me.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I still dont understand your thinking, surely breeding a dog true to type includes health, conformation and temperament? it does in my book anyway. Are you saying you would buy from badly conformed parents if the temperament was OK?
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I still dont understand your thinking, surely breeding a dog true to type includes health, conformation and temperament? it does in my book anyway. Are you saying you would buy from badly conformed parents if the temperament was OK?
I haven't read the whole thread but I just wanted to add my point

There are breed standards for a reason, if you are perposely breeding out of that standard then you aren't breeding that certain breed to true type, which I dont think is right
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Dawn people buy pedigree dogs for a pet only, not as an aid to help them with their hobby.

I think what Tee means, If it has the wrong ear carriage, not a desirable colour, anything that is just for show ring and makes not difference to its health and has no plans to breed. Then of course it does not matter!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Dawn people buy pedigree dogs for a pet only, not as an aid to help them with their hobby.

I think what Tee means, If it has the wrong ear carriage, not a desirable colour, anything that is just for show ring and makes not difference to its health and has no plans to breed. Then of course it does not matter!
Possibly hayley, however Tee stated that it wouldnt matter what they looked like if the temperament was ok, she KNOWS what an Akita looks like! Temperament is as much a part as conformation, and in fact whereas you are correct in the wrong colour thing, in as much as this is detectable from birth, temperament is the last thing you will determine, and IMO a badly bred dog of whatever breed, when bred by people who do not breed from quality animals that fit the breed standard well, will probably stand a fair chance of having a temperament to equal its conformation!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Conformation relates only to the physical attributes of the dog whereas type can be applied to both conformation and temperament.
A dog can be of the wrong colour but still be of the right conformation and type.
Becky
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Well Id put Health tests, Temperament above the Ears, Colour, etc, but I do not want a BIB or CC or a pretty ribbon for my dogs, they have my love and everything they need, the do not care and neither do I. Many cross breeds have a wonderful temperament.
BUT I can see your point, SOME who have little regard for standards may not care about anything else either. But it can go all ways, those hell bent on breeding just to the standards just because they want to win, may over look health and temperament!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Well Id put Health tests, Temperament above the Ears, Colour, etc, but I do not want a BIB or CC or a pretty ribbon for my dogs, they have my love and everything they need, the do not care and neither do I. Many cross breeds have a wonderful temperament.
BUT I can see your point, SOME who have little regard for standards may not care about anything else either. But it can go all ways, those hell bent on breeding just to the standards just because they want to win, may over look health and temperament!
Thats right Hayley and those are the type of people I refer to, such as the people that breed white Dobermanns etc.. with little regard for anything except their pocket!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:54 PM
No working bred border collies that I know are bred with the KC standard in mind - ISDS collies being around a long time before KC show collies. The ISDS working collie is a far cry from the type of dog you see in the show ring today. I, for one, am entirely happy with this. I would never buy a KC registered collie.

However, talking on a larger scale I couldn't agree with dogs being bred with faults that may affect health or temperament.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Then we are in agreement then Dawn, thats good LOL. I do not like people breeding Neo mastiffs, they are in a state right now, have you ever seen any in the flesh? Poor things
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »