View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 12:44 PM
It must be different in different areas not that anybody should try flouting the law or getting on the wrong side of it, I cant believe in this day and age things like this still go on - shocking.

Where did they take the dog from? I would have thought I would have heard of this as I am on quite a few Stafford groups, if more people knew more could have been done perhaps? You say the dog did nothing wrong what did they just see it and take it away?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the law/Act was amended a while back and dogs are not automatically PTS as they had done before......I was sure this was the case.

Where did this happen Pete? I would be interested to find out more. Obviously this is awful news, its a draconic act anyway but this seems a step backwards...
pete
Almost a Veteran

25-01-2005, 12:49 PM
it was in runcorn laura and it was reported in a local paper called the runcorn world ive been tryin to find the story on the web site in the archive but not managed too.
Tusker
Dogsey Junior

25-01-2005, 01:09 PM
One of the problems that come about when people debate what is the best body type, height /weight ratio for a specific job, or the history of any given subject, is that of misinformation..im not saying people deliberatly spread misinformation , but when they are quoting 3rd 4th hand information or simply repeating what they'v read in a book, invariably things are missed out...just a few to make my point " Sean Barker termed the phrase Irish staff in the 90's" what a load of bull (excuse the pun) its a well known fact sean barker is nothing more than a puppy peddlar who made no real contribution to staffs of any type !! fact ! its bin proved on many occassions that this guy was a "WIDE'O" nothing more. The second example was about the psycho dog being a bit of a bag slapper ( ) ..its a known fact in certain circles that the psycho dog was a very good dog in his day...when he met stormer he was the older dog by far....he was also the lightest dog by more than a few lbs...and he did not look to be in any decent shape for this competition ...it must also be said that the stormer dog ( staff x ebt) was another very good working dog (but produced nothing) now these dogs and other staffs were very capable dogs in there time, a time when pits were only just starting to come into the country ...to do them out of the respect they deserve is to say the least disappointing. Iv read a few of the posts on this subject and i will not be posting on it after this, although no doubt some of u will take me to task for what iv posted ( as is ur right ). There a one or two posts that are way of the mark regarding the history of these dogs ....in days gone past there were no standard for these working staffs...and they came in all shapes and sizes...its only when u make a standard thats got to be followed ...then and only then do u get dogs consistently of the same type..and (imo) thats when the overall well being of any breed starts to fall !. Once again (imo) if ur gonna talk about somthing it does well for u to have a wee bit of knowledge of the subject in hand..now unless u have put a dog through a keep how can u forcably put ur points across regarding which body type is best....im sure a few of us would be surprised if we could follow this up !!! (shock horror) the size of the dog has nothing at all to do with his chances of winning in the pit....remember the pit dogs of old were not body builder's..they were canine athletes build for endurance muscle mass wasnt the main criteria when conditioning ...it was stamina. Now iv been fortunate to have seen some very good KC staffs...and iv bin unlucky enough to have seen some that couldnt even cross the floor without wheezing (@ a ch show) sadly the fit healthy athletic kc staffs will not be placed at any show of importance .. they are in the minority of kc staffs, Now iv also been to more than a few working stafford shows ..and the difference between these shows and the KC sanctioned shows are day and night, at least the working stafford folk are trying to keep there dogs fit and healthy...and if u get some dogs that are 19/20in so what...the main thing is that the dogs are fit and healthy...or would u rather have the 14/16in barrel chested KC dogs that look nice sitting in ur living room...and they wont chase other dogs or cats.....cause they'd end up having a heart attack...well i know what type i would want...and its got nothing to do with having a dog thats growling and snarling at other dogs...these dogs are not showing gameness ...they are a hazard and should be dealt with as such !. As i said earlier i wont post on this subject after this as i feel its going round in circles...but one thing iv noticed about everyone thats posted regardless if u own KC..or working lines staffs is that u all seem to agree that fit healthy dogs are the way forward and that is surely a good thing ?...regarding the BSL dont thing that if they ever come after the staffs that just because ur dog isnt 18in and 40lbs that it will be safe......if we ver let this happen in this country then we should hang out heads in shame. my post is in no way meant to put any other member or their posts down...good luck to u all with whatever type uv got.....Tusker
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Good post, that is what I have been trying to say all along where is the problem with accepting peoples preferences for THEIR ideal type of dog. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all and like you say surely if the emphasis is on health first and foremost then why the need to argue why not just be glad that there are others in the same boat and are doing their best to keep the dogs in good nick.

Okay I know you said Tusker it will be your last post but think about this. If you think people are way off with history why not spit it out rather than keeping it in afterall we all learn by our mistakes if you dont say where the misinformation (or what) is then nobody will be any the wiser.

Like you say rightly or wrongly people will often misinform, that includes me too I rely on people around at the time and from books and other historical articles to inform me about the past as I missed these dogs of the early 80s, yeah I get things wrong and make gaffes like everybody else its called learning I rely on people telling me if I have made any mistakes in life otherwise I never learn. I love hearing differing views and alternate opinions so why not tell people what they have got wrong - better in than out like was said on another forum

Thanks
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Pete was the dog KC registered? Surely if the pedigree is available they couldnt say it was a PB without offering evidence !!
pete
Almost a Veteran

25-01-2005, 02:00 PM
lel there was no report of papers and if there was i dont think police would of had any case so i think not.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 02:04 PM
pretty bad thing to happen- like Laura I thought it was on a back burner now- theres loads of *that type* around here
pete
Almost a Veteran

25-01-2005, 02:25 PM
there has bin reports of illegal dog fightin in runcorn by rspca dont no if there cracking down cause of that ,tarring everyone with same brush hes got a dog that looks like a pbt he must be fightin it attitude.
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tusker
One of the problems that come about when people debate what is the best body type, height /weight ratio for a specific job, or the history of any given subject, is that of misinformation..im not saying people deliberatly spread misinformation , but when they are quoting 3rd 4th hand information or simply repeating what they'v read in a book, invariably things are missed out...just a few to make my point " Sean Barker termed the phrase Irish staff in the 90's" what a load of bull (excuse the pun) its a well known fact sean barker is nothing more than a puppy peddlar who made no real contribution to staffs of any type !! fact ! its bin proved on many occassions that this guy was a "WIDE'O" nothing more. The second example was about the psycho dog being a bit of a bag slapper ( ) ..its a known fact in certain circles that the psycho dog was a very good dog in his day...when he met stormer he was the older dog by far....he was also the lightest dog by more than a few lbs...and he did not look to be in any decent shape for this competition ...it must also be said that the stormer dog ( staff x ebt) was another very good working dog (but produced nothing) now these dogs and other staffs were very capable dogs in there time, a time when pits were only just starting to come into the country ...to do them out of the respect they deserve is to say the least disappointing. Iv read a few of the posts on this subject and i will not be posting on it after this, although no doubt some of u will take me to task for what iv posted ( as is ur right ). There a one or two posts that are way of the mark regarding the history of these dogs ....in days gone past there were no standard for these working staffs...and they came in all shapes and sizes...its only when u make a standard thats got to be followed ...then and only then do u get dogs consistently of the same type..and (imo) thats when the overall well being of any breed starts to fall !. Once again (imo) if ur gonna talk about somthing it does well for u to have a wee bit of knowledge of the subject in hand..now unless u have put a dog through a keep how can u forcably put ur points across regarding which body type is best....im sure a few of us would be surprised if we could follow this up !!! (shock horror) the size of the dog has nothing at all to do with his chances of winning in the pit....remember the pit dogs of old were not body builder's..they were canine athletes build for endurance muscle mass wasnt the main criteria when conditioning ...it was stamina. Now iv been fortunate to have seen some very good KC staffs...and iv bin unlucky enough to have seen some that couldnt even cross the floor without wheezing (@ a ch show) sadly the fit healthy athletic kc staffs will not be placed at any show of importance .. they are in the minority of kc staffs, Now iv also been to more than a few working stafford shows ..and the difference between these shows and the KC sanctioned shows are day and night, at least the working stafford folk are trying to keep there dogs fit and healthy...and if u get some dogs that are 19/20in so what...the main thing is that the dogs are fit and healthy...or would u rather have the 14/16in barrel chested KC dogs that look nice sitting in ur living room...and they wont chase other dogs or cats.....cause they'd end up having a heart attack...well i know what type i would want...and its got nothing to do with having a dog thats growling and snarling at other dogs...these dogs are not showing gameness ...they are a hazard and should be dealt with as such !. As i said earlier i wont post on this subject after this as i feel its going round in circles...but one thing iv noticed about everyone thats posted regardless if u own KC..or working lines staffs is that u all seem to agree that fit healthy dogs are the way forward and that is surely a good thing ?...regarding the BSL dont thing that if they ever come after the staffs that just because ur dog isnt 18in and 40lbs that it will be safe......if we ver let this happen in this country then we should hang out heads in shame. my post is in no way meant to put any other member or their posts down...good luck to u all with whatever type uv got.....Tusker
Tusker, it sounds like you read as many books as laura!!
I prefer to get my infomation 1st hand from peple who do not have an interest in peddling crappy books (S Barker). Also I HAVE can and do put dogs thru keeps, albeit not for the ultimate end of a fight, but its something I do for myself for a bond with my dogs and also for the dogs well being.
Psycho WAS a good dog, as was Stormer as was Duke, but in the big scheme of things compared to the most average APBT at the time they were just handbag slappers. Ive heard it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I have no time for the squat show dog, but nor have i time for made up names and breeders of dogs that are way oversized and a potential danger to our breed.
When I talk of substance Im talking bone, not muscle, a muscle bound dog couldnt fight its way out of a paper bag! Trust me I know more than average so far as anatomy goes, not bragging a simple fact of my education.
Nor am I talking of the type of cur that snaps and snarls on the end of a lead, Im all to aware that is a sure sign of a cur! Why else would a GSD do it??
Im shocked at the ignorance shown on here by some asto the potential crap that could and at this rate WILL hit the fan regarding BSL.
I hear Rotties being cited, LMAO give me a break, Rotts were never in danger, they had the ££££ of the KC bigwigs behind them, and secondly they do not need to watch type because, THEY WERE NEVER BANNED AND NEVER WILL BE!
All Im getting at is STOP calling these dogs something they aint!! call em staffords and steer away from the oversized ones!!
betchyacan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by pete
there has bin reports of illegal dog fightin in runcorn by rspca dont no if there cracking down cause of that ,tarring everyone with same brush hes got a dog that looks like a pbt he must be fightin it attitude.
there were several raids a while back and some 70+ dogs here taken MOST of them taken as TYPE and no other reason. they are waiting in the wings and will be pouncing at the next opportunity.
The influx of Am Bulls, Presa's Corso's and the fashion for various crosses, will also help to seal the fate of the fighting breeds in this country. At least if our dogs are kept down in size thier potential threat will seem less, and they can also blend in more with the show KC dogs if need be by adding a little podge. Should the worst happen. KC registration may not help all . Papers mean nothing if they decide a dog is typey, and to these fools a typey dog is a tall rangey one.
Christ, these days you would get a dog less typey by getting a small pitbull!!!
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »