View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I agree Leo. I'd also be careful quoting stuff from the Internet - if you search a subject it is easy enough to find information representing any point of view you like.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I want to get Suki done because I don't fancy playing mum to a whole load of puppies. OH isn't so sure and there's always someone with an opinion about the subject. One pup at a time is hard enough and I don't do sleep depravation well!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Well Polly, almost 8 year old JRT, was speyed last year and that was for the simple fact that her heart may not take the op in a few years time..so it was for medical purposes we got her speyed.
Florrie, 15 month westie x dandie dinmont bitch, is still intact and i don't think she will be getting speyed unless it is for health purposes...
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I got my dog neutered because of the following reasons:

My last dog died of testicular cancer

We live very near a duel carriageway one day my current dog followed a bitch in season right the way across the duel carriageway and back again

No fence will keep a randy romeo in a small dog will dig under a big dog will jump over.

A dog can smell any bitches in season within a five mile radios (maybe more as no one knows the exact power of a dogs nose) How frustrating is that? It's like being told you cannot ever have sex again but you can watch it!

Too many unwanted dogs already exist in rescue homes.

I have to chuckle at the argument from people who dock tails who tell me it's unecessary mutilation I say to them at least it's for medical reasons (he would die looking for a bitch that's how desperate he was) not cosmetic surgery such as "I prefer dogs without tails"

Lastly I'd prefer my dog Neutered and alive, not intact and dead. As my dog would have definatley been if he hadn't of been castrated.
Stefy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2006, 12:50 PM
I am for.

I will be getting my lil girl neutered.

Quick question though, when can you get a bitch spayed?
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
My opinion of neutering males is that is does not benefit their health at all, so why subject them to an uncessasary op for no reason? If they bonk everything, yes do it, if they have a retained testicle, yes do it, but not a normal well balanced dog, no.

Bitches different, Pyometra Kills, mammary tumors kill, phantom pregnancies are dreadful for a bitch, all these cause misery and possible death, so the benefit to a bitch is huge.
Dawn.

Dogs - I would agree with Dawn

Bitches - I would also agree with her as having experienced pyometra in my old girl who is now 11 and had a hysterectomy a few months ago and went into heart failure and it was touch and go for a while but she came though it and is fine now. I will not have another bitch but if I did get one I would definately have her spayed for the reasons Dawn gives.

I would just add that I am totally againsy vets trying to pressurise people into having dogs neutered. It is really up to the individual to make the decision for themself.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 03:06 PM
so this old thread is back ...LOL

well its a personal choice isn't it ..some breeds may have more benefits than others i guess
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh God I'm totally confussed We have always neutured our dogs. Well all two of them. Both were rescues.

Now I am going to pay alot of money for a Leo pup later on in the year. My breeder has gone to alot of trouble to make sure both her bitch and dog are in top condition and thus hopefully any litters produced will live long happy lives. I don't intend to breed my bitch, and just assumed that I would have her neutered. Although whilst doing research on the breed I read that males can loose some of the density of their beautiful thick coats if they are castrated, but of course would neutered if it was medically necessary. So I always thought bitch yes dog no but now I'm up in the air
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 04:19 PM
its the opposite in cavaliers the coat often becomes thick and woolly ...
nygreys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Thousands of animals die each year at animal shelters and on the city streets....

I wouldn't take the chance of adding more unwanted dogs
to the world. You can give a shelter dog a home, plus they will be spayed or neutered. If you want a purebred, there
are adoption groups all over the world for any breed.
I adopted my 3 greyhounds from a greyhound adoption group.
They are the best dogs I have ever owned.:smt049
Check the internet for a breed spacific adoption group, I'm sure you'll find the breed you would like.

I am for spay & neuter.
Page 7 of 15 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »