Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
The vet phoned today and there is some good news. The high amount of white blood cells is not as bad as he thought so she is not in the danger zone
But apart from that they are pretty clueless! He said the tests brought back more questions than answers, whatever that means

I now have to wait and she if she gets ill again and if she does then they'll do lots more tests. I think she will go downhill again but if he says to wait that must be a good sign. So it's more waiting for me! At least she is fine at the moment
Brandiesnap I think the vet is doing the only thing he can do in waiting ,an increase in white blood cells often indicates infection and it may mean Brandie had a virus of some sort and it has got better. It may also mean something is not functioning correctly/ intermittently.. if Brandie it is fine at the moment it would be difficult to do more tests just now because they would be negative, the obvious time to test is when Brandie is ill.

Try not to worry
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Brandiesnap I think the vet is doing the only thing he can do in waiting ,an increase in white blood cells often indicates infection and it may mean Brandie had a virus of some sort and it has got better. It may also mean something is not functioning correctly/ intermittently.. if Brandie it is fine at the moment it would be difficult to do more tests just now because they would be negative, the obvious time to test is when Brandie is ill.

Try not to worry
Yes Mini agree would be v difficult to test for something else when no symptoms, always difficult anyway cos they can`t tell us anything, where it hurts, what hurts etc etc have a lot of sympthay for vets not an easy job.

BUT he hasn`t even told B/S what hes tested for or not tested for???????/

AND I`m sure he told B/S her dog had a blood clotting prob that was bordering on dangerous besides high white blood cells

I`m all for waiting & NOT rushing in where angels never tread but I believe he has a duty to tell her something even if that something is he just doesn`t know ????? Would be a lot better than your imagination going into overdrive & adding 2x2 and coming up with 50
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Think I would rather be face to face with the vet, that way they can see if you understand and explain in a different way if you do not. Think the list seems like a good starting point you can add supplementary questions once the vet starts to explain. The phone is fine to let you know the Lab. results and to make an appointment for you to call in for more information if needed but the consultation is not complete until the client is satisfied with the service given, no addition charge should be made..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Apologies Christine, I didn't make myself clear in my original post, as what I meant was,, when you DO know what it is, then it's always best to read up as much as you possibly can on it, but I didn't make this clear, sorry! You are definitely right in that last sentence too, she has paid for that last consultation and is left in the air imo.

Hi Brandie, hope things are still good with Brandie today, and your list sounds excellent plus the things Christine has mentioned (lists are wonderful, I live by them!) If it's at all possible, can you try and remember back to her previous episodes approximately that is, and you can also tell him it his happening every "such and such", there might still be some kind of pattern there? Everything you can think of might be helpful to him. Change of poo/peeing habits, drinking habits, eating habits, etc. etc. Nothing will be insignificant to your vet, they like as much info as possible. Can't think of anything else coz you've been given some brilliant advice on here, so it's up to you now, and again, all the best of luck for Brandie.x
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Well fate has kind of stepped in Brandie has started to feel ill again. So she will be going in - she will be having x-rays to check for tumours or internal bleeding Haven't booked her in yet, but that should be this week. I'm so nervous about leaving my baby!

I am hoping to speak to the vet on Monday with my questions ( I will be taking a list or I will forget something). I have to go in to sort out the insurance so should be able to talk to him then (I'm phoning to check a time first).

I have to check Brandie's poo now to see if it's black or has blood. What exactly am I looking for? How do I know if it's dark as in bad or just dark Will it all be a blackish colour or just parts?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I am sorry to hear Bradiesnap is poorly again, but look up on it as a good opportunity to get to the bottom of what is wrong .

As to the poo it can vary according to the illness, blood often will not show up as 'red blood', you just get 'tarry' looking poos ... all the way through

We will be thinking of you both ((hug))
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Digested blood is not just dark it is tarry, the stools look like the dog has been eating treacle, dry dark poos are normal if the food produces a dark stool, if in doubt take a sample with you, in fact take a poo and pee and if she is sick take that with you too, any clean bottle will do, pick up a small amount of the poo on a small piece of wood or a plastic spoon and toss the lot into a jar (best) or plastic bag. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem this time but if they can't ask for a referral.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh dear Brandie, sorry to hear this I don't think even your vet expected her to have another episode quite as quickly as that hope she's not too bad this time, poor girl. As you say, it might be a blessing in disguise, and you can now get to the bottom of it once and for all, and let's hope your vet goes to town this time and does everything possible.

thordell is right, as well as your "list"/ questions, take samples of everything and good luck, she will be in good hands and try not to worry too much, it's terrible goingthrough something like this I know, but you want to get her well again. All the very best for Brandie. x
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Sorry shes not well again so soon B/S

The others have explained what to look for, so keep an eye out & hope all goes well when you take her, good luck
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks She doesn't seem so bad this time which is good Still worrying though, but hopefully the start of getting her sorted.

One more little question, sorry. Would all her poos be tarry or just some of them?
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >