View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Another point I would like to add, is that VS has never claimed that she uses any NEW methods of training, all she does is try and help people out with their uncontrollable dogs. She has never come across with any "attitude" that she is wonderwoman armed with wonderful new training methods or anything like that at all. All she does is prove to us all how simple common sense methods and understanding of your dog can sort out many behavioural problems. If there's enough of these types of programmes in the future perhaps more people will benefit from being able to teach and handle their dogs correctly, and won't find the need to pay a behaviourist, thereby eventually making them obsolete!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:41 AM
I dont get to watch this as me and graham are at agility when its on and i alwaaaays forget to tape it but ive seen it once i think with the 2 yellow labs, and personally i take her adice and training as i please, i think she is good, and her methods have been proven to work, but at the end of the day if you dont agree then thats fine, everyone has different methods and views on behaviour and training!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Well said Gems
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
Personally i take her adice and training as i please, i think she is good, and her methods have been proven to work, but at the end of the day if you dont agree then thats fine, everyone has different methods and views on behaviour and training!
Exactly how i feel about the subject too
dee dee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2006, 05:31 PM
terrific programme and her methods seem to work .
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I didn't expect you to know Mary personally & I presume if you don't know of her you have never watched Crufts on TV either

Mary of course has only owned &/or trained Obedience Champions(including winning the Crufts Championships three times winning over 60 UK Challenge certificates & making up 9 obedience champions(7 BCs & 2 BSDs), Agility Champions & top Heelwork To Music dogs, written books & made videos & DVDs on dog training. Her experience in dogs only covers 28 years this year which is nothing compared to VS's 10 years of course.

Mary doesn't just competition training BTW maybe she was too busy for the TV
JoedeeUk, how many years qualifies somebody as "experienced" in your view?

I would say that 10 years is a fairly large chunk of somebody's life - obviously there is always going to be somebody more experienced than VS, but TBH I didn't realise that it was some kind of competition.

I'm sure that there are plenty of dog trainers who have 30 or 40 years of experience who's methods you might not agree with either - length of time is no measure of a persons ability. In my view she clearly helps those who take part in the show and as others have said - she raises awareness. It is up to each individual owner to chose whether her methods are suitable for their dog/situation.

Also had you considered that many of VS viewers will be average pet owners who have no desire to compete in obedience at Crufts? People do not necessarily need to use the most advanced / new techniques if they are purely aiming for a well behaved, happy, family pet.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Well Jodee, I suggest you take up the quotation of "10 years experience as a dog behaviourist" with the programme editors then, if you feel it to be untrue?

May I ask exactly what qualifications you have then since you have been in the business for 40 years, when she has only been in it for 10, and yet you have asked previously what are her qualifications? It seems to me you are far too quick in slamming these people down (you did it with the female vet we were having a discussion on recently!) and I do detect a slight hint of jealousy here, or maybe it might be arrogance? I really can't see why you have to go into such depths of this condemnation of a person, just because you don't particularly like her, or think you know better? If so, I suspect you must have a long list of qualifications under your belt, which gives you the right to contradict her and her methods? After all, they seem to be working, we have seen the evidence, and not only that, we have had the person posting regularly on here who had her to stay for a whole week with their uncontrollable malamute, and she was overwhelmed by her expertise and couldn't praise her enough!

p.s. I have never heard of Mary Ray either But then I'm just a pet owner who knows nothing about how to train my dogs correctly.

It doesn't matter either that she doesn't own a dog herself and has no intention of owning one! My husband doesn't own a Ferrari, but he can tell you how to fix one!

edited to change spelling of malamute (but I think it was a husky anyway!)
have read all through everyones comments and still have to say i agree tottally with joedee,i know of mary and personally know silvia bishop,and my opinion is you can have all the qualifications in the world on animal behaviour, but putting it in to practice is totally different.you either conect with animals or you dont, and no amount of qualifications will change that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
you either conect with animals or you dont, and no amount of qualifications will change that.

Precisely, I totally agree with that, and therefore, even if she has no qualifications whatsoever, as I said in another post. experience speaks volumes, and so does that special connection some people have with animals, and she has both imo. I am talking about VS here and not Jodee btw!
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I agree too, you can have all the qualifications in the world in the end it's a piece of paper saying what you've learnt but without experience it wont get you far. Everyone has their own methods some new others old but you go with what you know and what works best with the current problem.

It doesn't matter whether other people have reputations the importanyt thing is making dog owners aware of their dogs behaviour, why their behaving in this way and finding a system that works with the animals to improve it's behaviour whether by yourself or with additional help from a trainer
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Well VS programmes have finally come to Denmark

I must say, I liked what I saw.. And I actually use the "ah ah" myself already

It was with 2 yellow labs, named Jimi and Duke.. And wow.. What a change...

I may not agree on everything she said (about sleeping on the bed), but in this case it worked..

I'm definately gonna watch it again next thursday...
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >