Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Drewa View Post
I fostered a rescue dog (Border Terrier) for a little while and he came with a Flexi. I wasn't told that he was aggressive towards other dogs either, so here we were, having a nice walk in the recreation ground, he sees a dog in the distance and does one of those "lunges" people have mentioned. I wasn't prepared for any of it and had gloves on as there was snow on the ground, so when he went for it, the handle of the Flexi just shot out of my hand and off he went and started a fight with the other dog in seconds, with me running to try and catch up. The whole thing was a nightmare and understandably the other dog's owner was furious. I wanted to say "He's not my dog and I'm not responsible for him being this way". Anyway, I did learn a lesson and there's a funny story associated with it - during the furore one of my lovely thermal gloves came off and I couldn''t find it in the snow. A few weeks later, when the snow had gone, I finally came across it by accident. I was so pleased, until I saw that something had bitten 4 fingers off!!

Oh, and you probably all know this but you can now buy a flexi lead that is tape rather than cord and therefore won't lacerate your finger if you try to grab the extended lead to control the dog.

I had just acquired a Lhasa Apso puppy and have already ordered a long lead for him but not a Flexi.

But to be fair the same could have happened if you'd been using a long line or just a normal walking lead.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
TBF they are a MANAGEMENT solution, they do not solve the problem of pulling they just make the pulling more manageable!

They do not teach the dog to walk on a loose lead and they do not stop the dog from pulling.......
And as I have already demonstrated with my own dog: Flexis don't necessarily teach a dog to pull either.

The Flexi for me is just another tool used when walking my dog, I'm not using it to manage anything - I just like the flexibility it gives me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
And as I have already demonstrated with my own dog: Flexis don't necessarily teach a dog to pull either.

The Flexi for me is just another tool used when walking my dog, I'm not using it to manage anything - I just like the flexibility it gives me.

I think you already made this point, I, at least have moved on and the remarks you quote refer to my observations about head collars.

So there is nothing that you need to demonstrate (via the ether) to me again.

I am not deaf, blind or simple.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I think you already made this point, I, at least have moved on and the remarks you quote refer to my observations about head collars.

So there is nothing that you need to demonstrate (via the ether) to me again.

I am not deaf, blind or simple.
Just wanted to make sure, given that I am responding to your own post on the matter. Again.
MrsSB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2011, 06:28 AM
We use a Flexi for Ben, with a harness. We let him wander as he wants to when he is in the park (letting him off the lead if there are no other dogs about, or if there are "friends" around), and keep the flexi short when we are going to and from the park. We have also used this in town centres, etc with no problem, as we keep it short. Obviously if we were to let him have its full length in town centres, or close to roads, it would be dangerous, but we don't let him have the full length and have encountered no problems whatsoever.

Yes, he has pulled the lead out of my hand once, but I think this would have happened whatever lead he had been on. He doesn't pull particularly, and is quite happy to walk alongside us when the flexi is short. If he does start to pull, then I stop walking and he soon gets the message.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Just wanted to make sure, given that I am responding to your own post on the matter. Again.
Ah bless you, I guess you are used to having to say things more than once to people.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Been using a flexi lead for over 30 years now with every dog from GSD's down to terriers that I have adopted or fostered and never had a problem. I wouldn't be without it but do keep well away from other people using them!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Have to say though with my dogs now a flexis prolly useless aswell, they are so use to walking to heel they stay near me when on a flexi, but my rabbits use it properly I have to work getting Diesel to use 12 ft of lead instead of walking next to me, so summat heavier wont work for mine either .
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Ok don't take this the wrong way but if you are not managing anything with it then why do you need the flexibility it offers?

Example; My dog can "go" when off lead and "come" when off or on. If I want to leave him on lead I just adjust his training lead to allow him on the grass next to me (does not mean I will be dragged all over the grass with him if I choose not to walk there) So why would I need the flexibility of a flexi? Unless managing a situation (I.e.re-call)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Ah bless you, I guess you are used to having to say things more than once to people.
I'm a Nurse, I deal with the confused on a regular basis, it goes with the territory!

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Ok don't take this the wrong way but if you are not managing anything with it then why do you need the flexibility it offers?

Example; My dog can "go" when off lead and "come" when off or on. If I want to leave him on lead I just adjust his training lead to allow him on the grass next to me (does not mean I will be dragged all over the grass with him if I choose not to walk there) So why would I need the flexibility of a flexi? Unless managing a situation (I.e.re-call)
I like to give my dogs extra freedom when they have to be confined to a lead eg on lead parks.
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >