View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 06:10 PM
She is so good letting the vets sort her out, my lot have a dicky fit if I'm not there with them.

Hope her eye soon settles down and she can start enjoying herself again.

"In the land of the dim (Parker) the one-eyed dog is Queen"!
Think this would look brill for your signature BTW
xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear the news, but very pleased to see it seems to have gone well!

Isla is due her yearly eye test in May for her cataracts and I know her left eye is much worse now. She can no longer see the ball unless it's bounced directly in front of her right side and she can't see me in the bathroom when I'm sat on the loo anymore!

I'm thinking she may need surgery sooner rather than later, how did you find post op care? I'm slightly concerned as I'm sure I've read the dog needs to be kept calm?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Hope she's had no further setbacks and you've had no more frights!!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-04-2011, 09:17 PM
You will be suprised how well dogs manage with only one eye, have had to have the same op done on one of ours some years ago. Generally its more upsetting for the owner than the dog and getting used to a one eyed dog takes time. In our boarding kennels we have had totally blind dogs stay with us but the must go into a certain kennel as they remember the way to the exercise field. Its is quite amazing to watch and its just like the dog being able to see.
With a dog that goes totally blind it is imperative that everything stays in exactly the same position and the feeding regime is exactly the same. As long as a dog knows where everything is they manage remarkable well.

Yes you will be upset naturally and understandably but given a short period of time things will seem normal again.

Tumbleweed
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Back from the vets again today and Cherry was put on some anti-biotics as wound still bleeding slightly and nurse said pressure behind it.

It was funny as at one point there were six terriers in the reception area (including my 2) and not one wuff between them-all being very sociable! Amazing!

When Cherry came out of the consulting room she suddenly jumped on the seating bench and put her paws up on the reception desk and stuck her nose on the jar of dog biscuits there! This made me laugh as even with poor sight in one eye she still managed to find the cookies bless her!

Met a man today on our walk who commented on Cherry's wound and I explained what had happened. What a nice man as he looked at her and said "She's still lovely" (aah!)
I said she'll always be beautiful to us.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:58 PM
So lovely to hear this! Well done Cherry! xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Ah, Cherry, cookie hunter extreme!!! Good girl
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
She is so good letting the vets sort her out, my lot have a dicky fit if I'm not there with them.

Hope her eye soon settles down and she can start enjoying herself again.

"In the land of the dim (Parker) the one-eyed dog is Queen"!
Think this would look brill for your signature BTW
xx
Yeah=good idea re signature!

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Sorry to hear the news, but very pleased to see it seems to have gone well!

Isla is due her yearly eye test in May for her cataracts and I know her left eye is much worse now. She can no longer see the ball unless it's bounced directly in front of her right side and she can't see me in the bathroom when I'm sat on the loo anymore!

I'm thinking she may need surgery sooner rather than later, how did you find post op care? I'm slightly concerned as I'm sure I've read the dog needs to be kept calm?
It was a problem keeping Cherry calm as they said no toys and she lives for her Kong tennis balls. I made sure ALL toys were put away in the house but I forgot to check the garden and she had been home 5 minutes and suddenly appeared with a ball in her mouth!
I kept Cherry in a large crate when I couldn't be with her. To be honest the main issue was the huge number of different eye drops and creams to apply. I worked out a colour coded system and did a chart (Newmarket thought this was really clever and I think they've pinched my idea!) but you have to be very methodical and organised and we were able to cope because I work part-time and my husband works shifts. Hope Isla gets on well.

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Hope she's had no further setbacks and you've had no more frights!!
She seems quite happy now but I have thrown a couple of "wobblies" today!

Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
You will be suprised how well dogs manage with only one eye, have had to have the same op done on one of ours some years ago. Generally its more upsetting for the owner than the dog and getting used to a one eyed dog takes time. In our boarding kennels we have had totally blind dogs stay with us but the must go into a certain kennel as they remember the way to the exercise field. Its is quite amazing to watch and its just like the dog being able to see.
With a dog that goes totally blind it is imperative that everything stays in exactly the same position and the feeding regime is exactly the same. As long as a dog knows where everything is they manage remarkable well.

Yes you will be upset naturally and understandably but given a short period of time things will seem normal again.

Tumbleweed
Thanks for your advice-it is nice to hear from someone who has had the same experience with their dog too. The nurse was telling me about not moving things etc today. To b e honest I don't really move furniture round much anyway but my Mum is now under strict orders not to as she tends to move things around every few weeks in her bungalow!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 10:23 PM
So pleased she is back home and is on the road to recovery. It sounds like you are the one suffering from the effects of the op. not Cherry! I would be the same.
She sounds like a super star bless her, sending hugs to you all. Gillx
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7