Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The trouble with finding people, is they go to court, plead poverty, get a weekly/monthly rate they have to pay (£5) they lapse on the payment, the authorities dont chase it up, they get away with it and start all over again.

That's already happening, so adding being caught breeding dogs to the list won't make a difference to some!!

I think what this is showing that for every idea put forward, there are huge holes in them!
If they can't pay then a prison sentence of 6 months at least. Breeding of these beautiful dogs has gone well over the top so it has to stop to get numbers down and help the poor victims stand a chance of a home.The action taken to stop it will also now have to be well over the top to have any hope of success in rectifying the problem.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I don`t think there is any way of managing the situation through the law. It has to be a change of public opinion, and that will only come through publicity and education. I`d like to see this programme repeated every year.
Of course, the enforcement of existing laws by the police,rather than the RSPCA, would be a good way to put the existing laws on keeping animals in line with all other law.
ATM the police only deal with dogs when they are a nuisance. If they had the job of also ensuring welfare laws were upheld they would view animals differently.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by molezak View Post
What I am saying Trouble. If legislation is brought in why should it extend as far as a yorkie owner or yes a Jack Russell owner? There aren't nearly as many of those causing bother on the streets.

I don't think Mr What Breed Shall I Get to Impress My Mates would bother with a Papillon would he??
its not just breeders of agressive dogs that need to be clamped down on. its irresponsible breeding of any kind. breeding for profit, for fun, cos you think all dogs should have the chance, cos your cousin likes your dog and wants one just the same etc. Any controls on breeding should be across all breeds
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
its not just breeders of agressive dogs that need to be clamped down on. its irresponsible breeding of any kind. breeding for profit, for fun, cos you think all dogs should have the chance, cos your cousin likes your dog and wants one just the same etc. Any controls on breeding should be across all breeds
Yes I agree but you have to start somewhere and as rescue statistics seem to be showing this breed and type are really suffering because of the problem in higher numbers than any other breed, it needs to start here.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
The problem is any control over breeding will not effect those its ment to, they will find a way around it. Meanwhile responisble thoughtful breeders will suffer for playing by the rules.

An example of this is the docking issue. BYB's and PF have gotten round it by breeding dogs in Ireland and importing them to the UK.

With regards to the forced spaying or castration i would be very against this. These are my dogs and its up to me to decide whats best for them as a responsble owner not the government. Why should i be forced to lop of body parts from my dogs because some idiot down the road cant keep his dog in?

The only way forward is going to be through education and getting the message to those that need to hear it. Again not perfect but you cant force people to make the right choice.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Education will take years and of course it needs to be done but education alone wont solve the problem for the thousands of staffies and staffie crosses ending up dead as a result of their owner stupidity.
I would support neutering for staffies and their crosses and I would also make it free and compulsory.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Yes I agree but you have to start somewhere and as rescue statistics seem to be showing this breed and type are really suffering because of the problem in higher numbers than any other breed, it needs to start here.
well no not really. when any new law is introduced just apply it to all breeds. introducing the law for just one breeds wont work.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Education will take years and of course it needs to be done but education alone wont solve the problem for the thousands of staffies and staffie crosses ending up dead as a result of their owner stupidity.
I would support neutering for staffies and their crosses and I would also make it free and compulsory.
if it is compulsory it should be for all breeds imo. i wouldnt be in favour of compulory neutering for staffies alone.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Education has been tried in Spain by a English charity Greyhounds in need, I don't know how it worked, but here is a link to a bit that was in a newsletter I got a while ago, this was helped by a teacher over there, and tbh I don't see why there isn't a section in schools about animal welfare, I mean its something that can be helped by it, there is lessons in other things, and I think that more people live with animals then use pythagorus on a daily basis even if its just a lesson a week in primary school surely that could be off some help, and if it does help it may save many lives and money, although it would take a while to see if it does work.

http://www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/ne...etterFrame.htm
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
The problem with applying it to all breeds would make it a massive task to police and enforce when most breeds have nowhere near the same problem afflicting the staffie.
I think it would be overkill to neuter every dog in the country because of the problem in a few breeds, I guess it depends on what your goal is and for me the goal is that no dog should be killed simply because of excess numbers of that particular breed in need.
Page 7 of 17 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »