Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Atikegirl

I'm afraid I have trained a few akitsa to recall with e collars. I found they were reasonably responsive (though still very much their own boss lol) and took to the training well.

Adam
I'm afraid you've trained them too mate, well, more sorry.

Yes, as I thought, 'reasonably responsive'. I find my male Akita to be 100% responsive to recall through positive training methods, it took over a year to fully achieve but we got there, and our trusting bond was never weakened...

Put an e collar on my female (who we are currently training) and she'd stick two fingers up at you and leg it..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I don`t think `Adam Palmer` has ever trained an Akita. I see he has managed to hijack the thread again though.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
If not already mentioned, is there a riding school near you?
did a quick google (i appreciate london is a big place )

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

i would imagine most of them would have an indoor arena, surfaces would be less harsh on your dogs feet. A stables near me hires the school out for £7 an hour. am guessing it would be more than that in London but perhaps early mornings/late evenings when the nags are tucked up in bed?

When your dogs old enough cani x would be an option? or maybe even get the kit now and do some short jogs now and again?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I use e collars for many things. The sheep is pure avoidance, but used right you can build the recall so the dog comes back regardless (this would be hugely useful for Cain) and you can use them to build confidence in a certain situation as well, basically you associate the scary thing with stopping the sensation from the e collar when they approach it.
This is the same princple as counter conditioning with treats but utilises the survival mode (which dogs already in) as opposed to food drive which tends to disappear under stress.
A video of similar work to what I do.
http://www.connectwithyourk9.com/vid...gression1.html

Adam
Why do you always need to use an e-collar? Have you ever tried to use positive methods on dogs or do you hurt them to get the quick fix reaction/response then try to con the owners that their dog is trained?

Are you a qualified trainer? Or are you just claiming to be one? What exams/assessments did you take? What organisation would advocate using an e-collar in dog training?

Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
Adam,

quite frankly I'm surprised at you..... if you're a dog trainer I would expect a little more sensitivity from you... MM is in the middle of London with very few opportunities to train her dog off-lead! Her dog obviously has issues, she's obviously down about the whole situation.... and you kick in with your success stories.... and end with a comment that basically says she should never have been allowed the dog....

I think MM is doing her very best to be a great owner... but with no off-lead opportunities in her area getting the dog to the point where it can go off-lead is going to be difficult... even if she does get a training session once a week... if you cannot practice then one hour's training once a week is going to have little effect... I think is great that she's asking advice, and the advice she has been given about looking outside the "normal dog areas" is very good as well.... as is the idea of getting her used to trains and busses in order to get out to the countryside...

but Adam your comments, especially coming from a trainer... hmmmmmmmmmm
Excellent post.

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Well done, that sounds like a dream walk Here's to many more!
That's what I thought too.

Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
I'd like Adam to come and train my Beagle and see how far he gets!!
My lot would walk off in a huff - and I'd be right behind 'em (assuming I needed someone like that to train them).

I'm more than happy to train any dog of any breed to go off lead.

Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean its cruel, personnaly I wouldn't rehome a dog to an on lead life as I believe its unfair.

The dog in the video's owner was thinking of haveing her pts. So the e collar trainer probably saved her life.

I'm fairly blunt but then again I get results. I don't feel the need to make people like me so they'll feel happier about the training.

Adam
It's painful, therefore it is cruel. Are you able to use other methods? If so, what other methods do you try first?

Settagirl.

I disagree, you may not have been able to train them to recall but I'm sure I could. Positive methods aren't worth anything if they don't work.
Btw I know an english setter, belongs to a local dairy farmer. Always off lead. I doubt he's used an e collar or treats to train the dog.

Adam
Oh I get it. Positive methods don't work so hurt the dog and it'll do as it's told. Wow - very professional.
Do you care about dogs at all - because it certainly doesn't seem so.

Akitas are another breed which can rarely be let offlead... stick an e collar on an Akita and they'll never trust being within striking distance of you again i reackon. They train through trust.
Perfect - you took the words out of my mouth, Akitagirl!

Atikegirl

I'm afraid I have trained a few akitsa to recall with e collars. I found they were reasonably responsive (though still very much their own boss lol) and took to the training well.

Adam
Nope - you haven't! You may have got the odd Akita to do what you want by causing it pain. Once you're out of earshot and sight, any Akita you've used an e-collar on would go back to their usual stubborn ways.

Yes, as I thought, 'reasonably responsive'. I find my male Akita to be 100% responsive to recall through positive training methods, it took over a year to fully achieve but we got there, and our trusting bond was never weakened...

Put an e collar on my female (who we are currently training) and she'd stick two fingers up at you and leg it..
Precisely. We had a few over the years that could never go off lead. The majority could with a bit of hard work, using positive methods. Those dogs of ours that never went off lead were just as happy and stimulated as those who did.

Laura xx

PS - Adam - Are you friends with Labman?!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
It's not pain. Pain cause dogs to vocalise and move away from the area rapidly. A working level stim will cause the dog to look around nothing more.

I think you think we have all fallen of xmas trees. e.collars inflict pain, do you think, none of us have ever seen an e.collar in use, I have , and it was used by a professional trainer, (one with qualifications Adam) the purpose of the exercise was to distract the dog from what it was doing, the way it distracts , is to zap a response from the dog, the dog gets zapped, the dogs moves away from the object it was focused one.

I
use e collars for the things they are useful for. This includes off lead control, aggression (predatory and social) and confidence building. I find the majority of my work involves this to some degree.
I use them because they are the best (effective/humane) way to achieve the results. The results that will save the dogs life in many cases.

Adam
Its funny Adam, I have avery high prey drive dog, I know that a zap on the highest level would not deter her away from her prey... a long time ago she even ripped 3 nails off her foot, in pursuit of another dog, luckily it came to nothing, but I learnt then nothing will stop her when that mist comes down, so to be perfectly blunt Adam, you are talking nonsense, for you to get a high prey drives dogs attention off its prey, you are going to have to inflict more than a slight stim to said dog.

I have seen dogs jump in the air from a zap of an e.collar..

Don't try to teach grandmothers to suck eggs, they will leave you in your nappies!
Settagirl.

I disagree, you may not have been able to train them to recall but I'm sure I could. Positive methods aren't worth anything if they don't work.
Btw I know an english setter, belongs to a local dairy farmer. Always off lead. I doubt he's used an e collar or treats to train the dog.

Adam
My you know what happens to big egos dont you.

Just a by note, the farmer in question, will no doubt exercise his dogs son his own land, hence not really having a problem with needing a recall, as setter girl will!!
Also you are making a huge assumption they the farmer does not give his dogs treats,,,

Your a dangerous young man Adam, with a huge ego, and god help the dogs that come to you for help.

You methods are abhorrent to any dog owner who has half a brain.

You have said , you entice an aggressive dog to show its aggression, so you can see the level of said dogs aggression, then , you get your e,collar out ans zap the life out of it.

Don't you know the first rule of rehabilitation, dont treat aggression with aggression

Somehting you would be wise to learn!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

My too,
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t think `Adam Palmer` has ever trained an Akita. I see he has managed to hijack the thread again though.
He seems to have trained everything. Very convenient.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 09:19 AM
For those of us with challenging dogs who don`t live in fantasy land like our Devon Dumpling, it isn`t `life on a lead` is it? We work with our dogs to give them quality of life, and find ways they can have fun safely.
Using Lines, enclosures, training clubs etc., finding sports we can do safely, using our brains to find outlets for their energy - and most of all, helping our dogs learn and develop. This what we do.
Of course, there are dogs who live a life on lead. They are usually small frustrated yappy and slightly desperate creatures being dragged along on a flexilead - never allowed to sniff or swim or run through undergrowth after exciting smells. Those are the dogs I feel sorry for. The `normal` ones who suffer from lazy and selfish owners. (and no, I don`t mean anyone on this forum! )
So well done to all those inventive people who find ways to give their challenging dogs a fulfilled life!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
For those of us with challenging dogs who don`t live in fantasy land like our Devon Dumpling, it isn`t `life on a lead` is it? We work with our dogs to give them quality of life, and find ways they can have fun safely.

So well done to all those inventive people who find ways to give their challenging dogs a fulfilled life!
Very good point! Very well said.

I myself have picked up a few new ideas through this thread
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Hello

I live with working sled dogs. After a 5am run through the forest, rest before breakfast, fun training session and garden zoomies, afternoon Kong followed by another nap, dinner then a pack hike, all surrounded by the buzz of family life .............they just about have the energy to raise a chuckle for folks who deem their 'life on a lead' as cruel

My guys free run in safe enclosed areas but given the choice of how they would choose to run, it would be in harness out in front of a rig every time

Sibe owners are constantly asked to justify why their dogs are not allowed to free run in certain areas and some trainers I know have bigger ego's than breed knowledge.

Dogs are kept on leads for many reasons. Their safety is paramount. Please don't let anyone make you feel your lad is hard done by if he is not off lead.

Best of luck with his training

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Page 7 of 18 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »