Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You dont really have anyone external checking the ABs eithers. I know a few breeders I would class as un ethical yet, on the scheme. I guess my standard of a decent breeder differ slightly from the KC!
I'm an AB and do far more than the minimum tests required for my breed - in fact more than the mandatory and recommended tests - but health tests alone don't make for a good breeder.

DD - I just wanted to update a litte and didn't really want to select portions from your long post

Just to say - the KC does check and check very tightly on compliance for mandatory health testing - to the extent it has caused quite a few headaches for some where the health tests have been in place, but KC records haven't been.

====================

With regards to minimum and maximum breeding ages, numbers of litters etc - many breed clubs are now getting a fair few restrictions added to the AB schemes - taking minimum ages well above those stipulated by the KC generally - some max ages well below - and maximum number of litters CONSIDERABLY BELOW - not to mention stipulating minimum periods between litters - which presently only applies to licensed breeders.

And (for me) the welcome addition of mandatory ID for health testing.

I know in the great scheme of things these are only small steps, but Rome wasn't built in a day and things are moving in the right direction.

there are good ABS and good non ABS and visa versa - the trick really has to be to get the poor / bad ABS out of the scheme once and for all.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by swarthy View Post
there are good ABS and good non ABS and visa versa - the trick really has to be to get the poor / bad ABS out of the scheme once and for all.
I agree! But checks should be done on breeders before they are accepted as ABs, mum has been one for over two years and they were happy to take her money and only now come and visited!
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7