Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
But as I have said the problem lies with ME ... I don't want to, because I know that I will let the side down!!

I don't know why I am unable to make you understand ... I know my dogs better than anyone, and I know that I would let them down
Yup I get that you think you would have an issue with it - but I think you are selling yourself short - its actually easy if someone shows you
I think the real thing is you dont want to - fair enough

But you have been saying that its your dogs and you know your dogs etc - when in reality there is nothing special about the way your dogs learn compared to every other creature with a brain, just that you dont get the idea of treat training and really dont want to do it
Nothing wrong with that (although I think you are missing out) but please dont make out there is something special about the way your dogs learn
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Please don't force me to say the W word ... it will kick off yet another row!!

You will just have to accept my word that my dogs ARE possibly the only dogs on the planet that are immune to the normal laws of learning!! Well Ben - possibly Tai, away from Ben, would respond to the normal laws of learning - but not the git!!
Wolf, dog, mouse, fish - doesn't matter, if it has a brain it is susceptible to the laws of learning. But don't let actual science get in your way (again!)
speug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Angus and I have been working on a send out round something recently but I tried to vary the reward from usually a game with his tuggy to sometimes just a treat - his response was to spit the treat out and disappear into the undergrowth to fetch a stick which he dropped on my feet, then ran round the tree the other way (he knows we practice things both directions), ran back and pounced on the stick, then bounced off with it. It appears that it's still too new a trick for a lesser reward like food.
We rarely use praise as a reward as Angus gets too carried away with how good he is and gets over excited and silly if you don't keep all verbal praise extremely low key and quiet.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7