Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The only advice I could give is please take your time about how to deal with this, please no 'knee jerk' reactions.

There's so many things that could have triggered Danny to do this. I know that our Bara could, if she so wished, kill another dog, she has it in her to do so, but we have only one other dog and she is so submissive that Bara has never really had a serious fight with her.

I know I'll be lampooned for saying this but it could (sort of) been an accident, Danny may have been really trying to discipline Bessie and just caught a major artery in her neck, dogs don't know about these things do they A bite on her shoulder and she'd still be with you, a bite on the neck and she's gone.

So very very sad, I send deep condolances to you both, please think long and hard as to the future. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
The OP said the poor dog had it's throat ripped out and was mutilated...unfortunately that is not an accident.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
So sorry to see this

A few years ago we had a dog that aged around 10 started to become aggressive. He bit me and my OH a few times. We let it go thinking we had disturbed him or something. We then went away for a weekend and he attacked our friend who was looking after them and our other dog that he had lived with all his life. He was pts and the vet said he was certain it was a brain tumour
Sadly, my OH's previous wife died of a brain tumour and he has told me in the past how it changed her personality, even before the pain really kicked in. When it did, the pain is just unbelievable apparently, only morphine will control it. It doesn't bear thinking about a dog having a tumour, who cannot tell you how he is suffering.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I agree with Dawn.

Dogs will often try to kill a fitting dog.

I cant see how you could live with this dog now, & it would be irressponsible to pass him onto others
I remember when I was 16 or so we had a bloodhound who fitted. Our labrador would frequently attack him and savage him badly, it is a horrible thought but nature, as I have said before, is red in tooth and claw, and these our animals at the end of the day, however much some people might like to think of them as extensions of ourselves.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I also feel desperately sorry for him. It's our fault..we should have seen it coming. I can't have him put down for something that could have been avoided as it was our stupid fault.
Please don't blame your self. I just remembered one time when Bara and Rianna did have a bit of a tiff. Bara caught Rianna's ear tip, there was a huge amount of blood, it was in the snow and it looked bad.

One of Dannys fangs could easily have pierced Bessies artery and from that second she would have had little time to live, as I was saying before it could have been an accident.

The trouble is that if it was two humans, one trips and has a knife in their hand and it enters an artery we have phones and ambulances and hospitals, dogs don't have any of this if we are not there at the time.

Simplistic thinking maybe, I'm sure I'll get some stick for saying it but I feel I should say it.

You are not to blame, how could you see it comming you said he hadn't been aggressive before.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Thankyou Losos....xxx
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:45 PM
This must have been traumatic for you but please don't do anything in a rush. I first of all thought of Bessie having a fit but you won't ever know that.

Have Danny checked by a vet and don't be too hard on yourselves or him. My rescue Beardie will redirect onto my older boy if he gets wound up since this started they are in different rooms when I'm out.

Again so sorry this has happened.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:48 PM
what a nightmare, i'm so sorry i know words cannot help at the moment.
I have no idea what i would do, its such a high level of aggression that its very serious. However, it is not your fault, never is it your fault. Dogs are animals, and like any animals (even humans) things like this happen.
It is just so tragic I am thinking of you all.

I do not know what i would do, to lose one dog is hard. but to lose two.. But every time you look at him would you be reminded of what happened?

I would certainly get him vet checked out first, just as most of the others have suggested. It could be a number of different medical reasons as to why he reacted in such a sudden and severe attack. This could be from a hormonal imbalance, neuroligical condition or even if he is sore/hurting somewhere, and the other dog did something to trigger this feeling. (like brushing ears, or stepping on paws etc.)

My second guess could be that maybe your poor collie was not feeling well, and possibly collapsed or had a seizure. Dogs can sometimes react in ways which seem aggressive when this happens in a bid to wake the other up.
(Does anybody remember the labrador which seriously mauled the ladies face, it got put to sleep and then it turned out he was trying to wake her up from an epileptic fit.) For all you know, he may not have been acting in a malicious way at all.

For now, definitely have a think on it. Could you trust him around dogs on walks, and even with your other dogs. If yes, then you are a very strong, brave person and i do admire you for giving him a chance.
Thinking is the best cure, i suggest a nice hot bubble bath with some radox, and then a good nights sleep.

Thinking of you all, i dont know what else to say. I have no idea how i would react. But you are strong, and you can get through this. Just do what your instincts tell you, and what feels right.

*Big Hugs*
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I leave my lurcher with my 14 year old Samoyed all the time. She could fit, he could attack, she could go crazy and attack him... There is nothing you could have done to prevent it...

I try to imagine how I would feel if thus was pharaoh. I remember when I brought my now gone jackjack home from the vets after he had had a fit and terrible episode with his blood, pharaoh attacked him. I was there and pulled them apart and jackjack limped on for another couple if days before his blood condition deteriorated and I made the decision to have him put to sleep... But pharaoh saw the severity of the problem before I did. He knew it was jackjacks time that there was nothing more that could be done and he acted in a completely natural way.

If selkie had a fit, or if pharaoh sensed something was truly wrong, maybe he would act. Your dog had never done anything like thus before, they were z loving pack... Maybe there is something wrong with danny, maybe there was something seriously wrong with bessie and he made the only decision he could in your absence... I don't know... It's really hard. You weren't there and we'll never know what truly happened... But I think if it were me... After I ruled out something wrong with pharaoh I would assume something was really wrong with selkie and he did what he could... I would separate him so he never had to make that decision again, but I would Hope I could forgive him for it and wouldn't assume he was 'just a killer' or 'had a taste for it'. He acted in a way that for what ever reason seemed right for him at the time. He must have had a reason... But it may be hard for us to see with our human sensibilities what that reason might be...

I am so sorry for the tragic loss if your darling bessie... You will make the decision that is right for your pack and family. I wish you every strength for whatever you decide.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I really cannot imagine a worse scenario than this with dogs and feel so sorry for you and your husband.

Please don't think you are at fault or caused this. You'll probably never get to the bottom of it but need to consider the future carefully.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I am just so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through. I have nothing constructive to add, as I have no idea what I would do in that situation. Big hugs to you!
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 21 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »