Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
In a situation where the dog's life might depend on you to remove the item quickly - it is 'because I can!'
All I meant was that when I see owners taking away, say food bowls repeatedly and putting them back, for no reason at all. Not swapping for anything better or giving rewards or anything, in SOME dogs, I think it encourages them to be anxious about food or toys and causes aggression because they start guarding.
I know I'd probably start to get pretty peeved if every time I was looking forward to a nice dinner some twit kept taking it off me, letting me eat a bit then getting rid of it again!

I think you should be able to take anything away BUT I think it needs to be taught mostly with the dog getting some sort of reward for not reacting.

Then presumably in an emergency you could just take something because the dog would be expecting praise, a reward or to get it back?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
In an emergency I will sit on Pereg and forcibly remove something from her throat if necessary. Better she bites me than she chokes or is poisoned.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I am not sure, that in an emergency, considering that the owner may be panicking, the dog would be expecting to get a reward in return?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
Just tried to pm you but it doesn't work

I know!! Isn't it annoying
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
Nope still didn't work. Not to worry, wasn't important
No, I couldn't get it to work either!! Never mind
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
All I meant was that when I see owners taking away, say food bowls repeatedly and putting them back, for no reason at all. Not swapping for anything better or giving rewards or anything, in SOME dogs, I think it encourages them to be anxious about food or toys and causes aggression because they start guarding.
I know I'd probably start to get pretty peeved if every time I was looking forward to a nice dinner some twit kept taking it off me, letting me eat a bit then getting rid of it again!

I think you should be able to take anything away BUT I think it needs to be taught mostly with the dog getting some sort of reward for not reacting.

Then presumably in an emergency you could just take something because the dog would be expecting praise, a reward or to get it back?
That's how I have trained mine, swapsies is fine but I need them to hand stuff over without a swap if we are out and I have nothing with me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
In an emergency I will sit on Pereg and forcibly remove something from her throat if necessary. Better she bites me than she chokes or is poisoned.

Tai had something jammed across between the top row of his teeth the other day. He was yammering and drooling and swiping at his mouth with his paw and it eventually dawned on us that he was in distress. Bless him, he just let us put fingers into his mouth and remove it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Tai had something jammed across between the top row of his teeth the other day. He was yammering and drooling and swiping at his mouth with his paw and it eventually dawned on us that he was in distress. Bless him, he just let us put fingers into his mouth and remove it.
It can happen. Little One came up to me crying once because she had a piece of kibble stuck in her teeth [I was not raw feeding then] , and Pereg once choked on a piece of turkey neck - she had swallowed a part of it but the rest was choking her.

And yes, I sat on her and hoiked it out of her throat. And no, she did not bite me.

She wanted it back again though!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It can happen. Little One came up to me crying once because she had a piece of kibble stuck in her teeth [I was not raw feeding then] , and Pereg once choked on a piece of turkey neck - she had swallowed a part of it but the rest was choking her.

And yes, I sat on her and hoiked it out of her throat. And no, she did not bite me.

She wanted it back again though!
What fantastic dogs we have!! They trust us - trust that has been earned by teaching them that if we take something off them, it is for a good reason, however succulent and sought after it may be.

I cannot take the credit for Tai on this one, because he was like this right from when we adopted him a few years ago. Have you had Pereg from a puppy?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I had both Little One and Pereg from about 6 weeks old. Little One came from a family on the Moshav who had two bitches that ran loose and produced litter after litter - and I have no idea what happened to all the puppies. Just know that I brought Little One home one day.

Pereg came from a rescue organisation - her bitch mother had been dumped when pregnant and I had been looking for another puppy as Little One was not getting any younger, and I was sent this so phoned for a taxi and went straight to get her. She is the one on the right.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7