Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I think if the sign was that offensive to people, they would have had the police round a LOT quicker than THIRTY YEARS after it was put up

Sorry.

But the whole PC stuff gets up my nose after awhile.

I've been called a hippy in the past.

Now, if that sign said "we feed our dogs on hippies" I'd probably laugh. I like the fact I have hippy sentiments and if noone else likes it, it's their loss. Not mine. I would probably know that they are people with a sense of humor, not some neo nazi's on a mission for white supremesism (spelt wrong sorry). I'd PROBABLY retaliate by saying, I hope your dog gets sick

It ISN'T aimed at any other religion, as it is the JW that are associated with knocking on doors, and badgering people (rightly or wrongly). It could just as easily say mailmen, or doubleglazing sales people (but I doubt they had them THIRTY YEARS ago).

I personally think that if there is a JW that is offended by it, or has been in the (again) THIRTY YEARS it has been there, they have the common sense and balls to complain themselves.

If there is uproar and JW are bothered, then yes it is innappropriate, but after THIRTY YEARS I think we can manage to hazard a guess that it is meant light heartedly

Yes I agree Bodhi, its called having a sense of humour which a lot of people in this country sadly don't seem to have any more.

That dog could never have eaten a Jehovahs witness anyway - well not all in one day
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 03:53 PM
My brother-in-law invites them all in,talks to them for Hours and hours they nearly end up begging to go Home.

They never come back

I dont like the sign at all,but must say I dont like people knocking on my door trying to force there opions on me there latest thing is sending little sweet old ladies around we get them here 2/3 times a week here.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duboing
I think they all do partake in the door-to-door recruitment Azz, they believe it to be a crucial part of their calling

Sadly we live in a society where we have to be extra careful about the jokes we make. This isn't down to some kind of newly acquired prudishness, it's because there are so many dangerous bigots around us. "Our dogs are fed on Jehova's Witnesses" might sound funny to you, but let's change the slant a bit:

"Our dogs are fed on Jews"
"Our dogs are fed on black people"
"Our dogs are fed on Protestants"
"Our dogs are fed on Catholics"

Still laughing? I really hope not! I'm pleased to say that this kind of thing is a crime, and a serious one. The police have a duty to quell it before it builds into something even more sinister.

It's only a year since a teenage boy was murdered near here, an axe put through his head, for no reason other than the colour of his skin. Hate-crime is a continuum. We can't afford to let any of it pass unchecked.

ps. I'm no great fan of cold-callers either. In fact, the last time I was given one of these "personal invitations" I told them to come back when they had it personally signed by the hand of God

Completely agree. If a stop isn't put to it at grass roots - it will turn into something very ugly. One thing perpetuates another and before we know it we'll all be at war with each other.
im sorry but i agree with azz and duboing.
i dont think anyone would be laughing if the sign said 'our dogs are fed on black people'. to me its the same kind of racism. no its not nice people forcing their religion onto you, but whats wrong with just putting up a polite notice. i dont think that dog sign would stop them coming to ur house any more than a polite notice would.

u need to draw the line somewhere, and i personally didnt find this sign funny
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Yes I agree Bodhi, its called having a sense of humour which a lot of people in this country sadly don't seem to have any more.
There is such a thing as a sense of humour that doesn't rely on digs at other people
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 05:02 PM
There is such a thing as a sense of humour that doesn't rely on digs at other people
I didn't exactly see it as a 'dig' at other people - this world has sadly gone PC mad and we are all scared to death of offending anyone Do you ever listen to comedians on telly most of their jokes are digs at people but that's all they are just a joke which in my opinion the sign was intended, nothing more and nothing less Like Bodhi says the bloomin sign has been there for more than 30 years. I have a sign up what says beware of the dog from when I had my GSD perhaps my neighbour might take offence at that or what about the signs what say never mind the dog - its the wife you have to beware of - are these digs at women then
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I agree Foxy..

I see far more offensive stuff when I switch the TV on and see monkey boy president of the US of A spouting about war.

That sign isn't intended to be offensive. It is OLD. Outdated?? Don't know, but for that family it is a memory of their husband, and father.

PC overload at the moment.

I reposted that 'how to understand a woman' rob put up on a forum (with people I actually know on) and the MEN (YES THE MEN!!) got up in arms about how UN PC it was.

I just guffawed. Posted BY a woman..

Anyway..

If it said - I hate JW and was put up last week. Yes, I would think it is offensive.

You are all taking the story OUT OF CONTEXT.

If a skinhead, neo nazi had it. Yes - offensive

A little old lady?? No.

CONTEXT.

RATIONALISATION.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Religion is a sensitive subject to a lot of people. I know that if I had a sign that said "Our dogs are fed on Protestants" or "Our dogs are fed on Catholics" I would not only be told to take the sign down but would be taken to court as it would be taken really seriously up here.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I agree Foxy..

I see far more offensive stuff when I switch the TV on and see monkey boy president of the US of A spouting about war.

That sign isn't intended to be offensive. It is OLD. Outdated?? Don't know, but for that family it is a memory of their husband, and father.

PC overload at the moment.

I reposted that 'how to understand a woman' rob put up on a forum (with people I actually know on) and the MEN (YES THE MEN!!) got up in arms about how UN PC it was.

I just guffawed. Posted BY a woman..

Anyway..

If it said - I hate JW and was put up last week. Yes, I would think it is offensive.

You are all taking the story OUT OF CONTEXT.

If a skinhead, neo nazi had it. Yes - offensive

A little old lady?? No.

CONTEXT.

RATIONALISATION.

I can't imagine what effect that old 70's series Love thy neighbour would have on some of the people today if this sort of thing offends. I wasn't born or brought up in the PC times and I am not racist or have any quarrel with anyone religious (as long as they don't try to force it down my throat on my doorstep)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I think they all do partake in the door-to-door recruitment Azz, they believe it to be a crucial part of their calling

Sadly we live in a society where we have to be extra careful about the jokes we make. This isn't down to some kind of newly acquired prudishness, it's because there are so many dangerous bigots around us. "Our dogs are fed on Jehova's Witnesses" might sound funny to you, but let's change the slant a bit:

"Our dogs are fed on Jews"
"Our dogs are fed on black people"
"Our dogs are fed on Protestants"
"Our dogs are fed on Catholics"

Still laughing? I really hope not! I'm pleased to say that this kind of thing is a crime, and a serious one. The police have a duty to quell it before it builds into something even more sinister.

It's only a year since a teenage boy was murdered near here, an axe put through his head, for no reason other than the colour of his skin. Hate-crime is a continuum. We can't afford to let any of it pass unchecked.

ps. I'm no great fan of cold-callers either. In fact, the last time I was given one of these "personal invitations" I told them to come back when they had it personally signed by the hand of God
Sorry guys totally agree with Duboing and Azz here.
Yes, at times the world goes pC mad, undoubtedly so, but the sign is offensive and is rascist. Yes, next to a little old lady and puppy it loses an 'edge' but how does anyone know the house is owned by said little old lady and pup rather than a thug with a thug dog ( of questionnable breeding ). They don't. They can't. The sign has to be taken on it's own. It's offensive and rascist. If it said 'my dog eats protestants/catholics/ muslims/seikhs/buddhists' it would still be offensive, just because it's JW's and they annoy people doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination. When does it stop being a joke? Where is the line drawn..okay to mock JW's but not catholics...why is that then?
Rascism is rascism and I find it abhorrent in any form. Sorry.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Slightly OT here...one of my mums friends and co' are here at present (for dinner you understand!) and Nancy is a JW...i showed her this article in 'The Sun' that one of our Polly mourners left here this morning...this commited JW friend of ours looked at the article and burst out laughing..i asked her if she took it offensivley, she replied "Not in the slightest m'dear...thats like saying those signs saying "Nevermind the dog its the wife you ought to mind" are offensive to all women-its mild humour"..

Personally, not my cup of tea-i don't find it particually entertaining nor offensive, but think there are much worse things going on in the world right now than a sign on someone's house thats obviouslly "old style" humour
My tuppence worth of course..
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »