register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hound
Dogsey Junior

05-11-2004, 12:53 PM
I like the black...and the brindle, but then I like the red too and the whites are quite nice.....god knows what a blue is...assuming it's grey! sorry not totally into showing etc...just a run of the mill dog lover.

I have to put sunscreen on Demps though, just on his white bit of his nose because he got burnt last year, 90 degree's and he is laying there like he is in benidorm!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Jas does that. I've even led Jas to a shady spot and made lie in it and within 2 minutes he's in the hottest part of the garden he can find
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Here is a blue Stafford for you Hound – this is Neo a 1 year Old Time Stafford, blue is essentially a dilution of the black colouring and the colour can vary somewhat from a mushroom grey through to brilliant bright almost purple looking blue. Neo is blue brindle and tends towards the silver grey colouring, its not as uncommon as you think in Staffords especially within certain Irish lines especially the Psycho/KK bred dogs. I wouldn’t say Neo is the best example of the blue colouration if you have a search online there are much more “blue” examples of the breed.

Kazz I think that for people in sporting circles conformation does not really come first most of it is down to performance/ability (that does not necessarily mean fighting for those who may think that is what I am implying). A bit like in the days gone by good workers are bred to good workers regardless of looks as long as they are good at their job & have the right temperament that is usually enough, if they are good looking well that is an added bonus. There are much less health problems too in dogs from predominantly working lines, I think most would agree I guess the reason for this is that dogs who had faults or problems (not necessarily aesthetic) could not be worked and therefore were not bred (although I am sure there are some that were I am not speaking for every dog just generalising a bit). I think this is probably the reason there is so much variance in the sporting circles with regards to colouring and also the reason that the old time or alternative dogs (call them what you like) tend to be much fitter and in proportion if they were not then they simply could not perform the task they were bred for, most breeders nowadays of the old time Staffords (KC or non-KC) tend to keep this view in mind and whether they do or don’t work their dogs try to keep as close to the original Staffords as possible ensuring that function always comes before beauty and that these dogs don’t start to become exaggerated as many (not all) show lines have become I think I am going off subject here so I will leave it at that lol. Whatever the case I am happy with my little white pig lol.

Laura
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
The rule in the ring is that a judge should not be colour prejudiced so how come when you find out who the judge is you know straight away which dogs will be placed because of colour prefrence by the judge?
Annestaff
Supervisor

05-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I myself have no colour prefrence, I have a tiger brindle a black brindle and 2 reds. My black brindle has the best looking coat though.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Funny that the brindles have better coats than the red staffords, I have to say of the few reds I have had the pleasure to meet and from what I can gather from pictures etc reds always seem to have a healthier coat than many colours.

White coats never shine, the only time I have ever seen my bitch Cassys coat shine is when it is dark outside believe it or not.

There are pictrues on here if you do a search (type in Ghost) of a beautiful blue Stafford called Ghost, a half brother to my bitch Cassy, if I ever had a blue this is the colour I would like. I think it is a real hard collour to breed for because it becomes wishy washy, the nicest ones i have seen have been from non-blue parents like Ghost is. I love all colours though and would never breed specifically for colour.

I dont do any showing (well KC anyway) it seems like there is a lot of politics involved?

Laura
Annestaff
Supervisor

05-11-2004, 03:28 PM
A friend of mine bred her two black staffs and they threw out 2 blues. One of them is shown but has never been placed. Even though they are not undisirable in the ring judges just don't ever seem to place them.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
I must admit I have been in the ring when a blue has been placed- (not a first place admittedly- but still placed)
just that you hardly ever see them
There are only two I have seen personally in the ring
Annestaff
Supervisor

05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
As you can see Harvey has a wonderful shinney coat.

Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Took more piccies of Jas today.

http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4630

He seems to look like a barrel so he's been running up and down the field for an hour this morning.
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »