View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:43 PM
if you had a dog that was know for being 'crazy' and attacking anything that moves would you chain it up in the garden whilst hosting a childrens party.......I think not , so it does seem that something has triggered/provoked this dog

edited to say:

We often make the mistake of assuming that dogs think/act like humans - this is really not the case - humans are known for going off the rails and being destructive/violent for little or no cause/reason other than to be malicious/vindictive for the sake of it, dogs are not like this, it is not in their genetic makeup, there is usually an underlying problem, an any other case it has been taught this ie dog fighting
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:47 PM
i never said that particular dog would bite anything that moved. im just sayin that there is some dogs like that, even though people dont want to accept that. wel just have to agree to disagree on this one.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by DonDon
so dogs only attack people that are alone. it just amazes me why people cant just accept that some dogs are plain crazy and would attack anything that moves.
No you are getting it all wrong!

A child has not learnt to full extent how to behave around animals because they are still becomming experianced in life.

Just as you would not send a five year old to cross the road alone, nor should you leave it unsupervised around animals.

A dog is of a similar level of consciousness as a child in that they do not have the capacity (sp?) to understand all that is going on around them in certain situations and should also not be left unsupervised in a situation like this.

The two together left unsupervised is only to be looked at as the irresponsibilty of the full grown adults who should have control over both the dog and children and the situation that surrounds them.

You need to stop thinking that we are saying the dog was right to bite this child, no one is saying that.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by DonDon
so dogs only attack people that are alone. it just amazes me why people cant just accept that some dogs are plain crazy and would attack anything that moves.
I've not said dogs only attack people that are alone (I'll check, but I'm sure I haven't). By unsupervised I meant not watching what was happening to the child, which can happen whether you're standing right next to it or in a different country.

Some dogs are plain crazy - absolutely - and I have no problems with destroying a dog in the right circumstances. But there's no evidence of that in this case.

Some dogs will attack anything that moves. I doubt this was the case with a tethered dog though - even if it wanted to, it would be very easy for it.

Hope I've clarified.
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:55 PM
yes. im not disputing the fact that what yous are saying is wrong but i do think that whatever the reason for the dog biting this child, which obviously happened wether the actual story is true or not, something has to be done.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I think possibly there is a one in a million chance of a dog or a child being "born bad" the rest I beleve is down to what they become thanks to their owners or parents jmo.

This discussion is just going round in circles. However DonDon I don't see how you can be so flippant as to just say destroy the dog without knowing the facts of the case.
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2005, 02:07 PM
because if any animal attacks once you cant just leave it to chance that it may not do it again.

this article, everyones sayin it is untrue, but seem to be focusing on the fact it was tyed up etc, but what if that was the part that was made up and thats completely untrue. parents or owners cant all be blamed for the way their children or dogs turn out. thats like sayin all dogs that ever bite its down to the owners, thats not fair as im sure theres people who'v brought their dog up properly and maybe its still bitten.

my aunties dog is one of the nicest dogs you could meet and theres nothing wrong with the way its been raised but 3 times the other night it went for 3 different children cause they were running, she was in a garden, nowhere near them, my point is, shes never done anything like that before so we werent expecting that but it still happened
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 02:12 PM
I ve never met a trained dog that bites a child for no reason. Maybe i've been living a sheltered life?
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2005, 02:15 PM
although we all love dogs, i do, as someone said they are ANIMALS, a fact that shouldnt be forgotten.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2005, 02:21 PM
The point is we don't know the facts and never will...We don't know if the dog had been getting sticks poked at it, pushed and prodded around, being spooked by all the running around and loud maybe sudden noises that children can make when excited...If this was the case, all of this could have been avoided if the dog was supervised or removed to a more suitable place.

...We also don't know if the dog just lunged from across the yard when there wasn't even a child near by, for no reason whatsoever...We just don't know.

But personally I think it would be misserable for a dog to be tied up in all the commotion going on around it and think that in it's self was a bad idea...

and now, this is me...!

Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »