Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Except for restricted areas like tow-paths, pavements and the like then I consider someone approaching me as doing so under their own volition and not something that requires me to alter on or off lead status.

I have a reactive dog that I keep leashed so I am well aware of the irritations of owners who do not control their dogs. I expect other owners to show consideration but that consideration cuts both ways and if I see an owner with off-lead dogs I take a different path/direction or keep a distance. If people, like myself, with reactive dogs expect other owners to show us consideration then we must be equally considerate.

As described the OPs dog were under control.
i agree, jake is never aggressive but gets very excited around other dogs, and is really boisterous. so if i see a dog i dont know, i put him on lead to keep him from approaching them.

but, the other day i had jake off lead when a guy with a border terrier came into the park. so i put jake on lead and went over to the other side of the park, with much difficulty as jake was trying to see the other dog. but once i was over the other side, i let him off lead just for this guy to follow us over! so jake was put back on lead, and the guy just kept following me!

eventually i got so annoyed i just let jake off lead and as i knew would happen he ran over to the dog, the owner grabbed his harness and i ran over to get him. and the owner threw jake back to me i was so angry and told the owner he shouldnt be following me when he can clearly see the trouble i was having to keep jake attention away from the dog.

i did my bit by putting jake on lead, and he could have done his bit by not following me around the park when i was trying to avoid him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Totally agree with this. Better a safe gun dog than one running off. You never know why they are onlead, so it is unfair to judge.
Nah, sorry. When I see an essex blonde with a croydon face lift and white boots picking her way across the country park with this year`s dog (weimie, - springers are so last year dahling) on a short lead, both immaculate, dog overweight, mad-eyed, slobbering with excitement, demented and sporting a diamante collar I reserve the right to judge.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Nah, sorry. When I see an essex blonde with a croydon face lift and white boots picking her way across the country park with this year`s dog (weimie, - springers are so last year dahling) on a short lead, both immaculate, dog overweight, mad-eyed, slobbering with excitement, demented and sporting a diamante collar I reserve the right to judge.
I would certainly judge in that situation. Never seen that before. I was thinking about ordinary dog walkers.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
I would certainly judge in that situation. Never seen that before. I was thinking about ordinary dog walkers.
They are ordinary round here! Well, them and the cheerful DINKYs with the designer crosses running amok. One brown dog ran up to me yesterday - body of a labrador, head of a spinone. It`s a labradoodle they said proudly. Yeah, right.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
What's a Croydon facelift?
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
They are ordinary round here! Well, them and the cheerful DINKYs with the designer crosses running amok. One brown dog ran up to me yesterday - body of a labrador, head of a spinone. It`s a labradoodle they said proudly. Yeah, right.
It sounds awful, Claire. I agree with you and would certainly judge in that situation. Poor dogs. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that. I was thinking more of someone in wet gear and walking boots with an onlead dog.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Never mind.

What did we do before google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_facelift
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
the amount of people around here with those crosses that i have upset just because i dared say their dog was actually a cross breed!! 'don't you know i paid £700 for my crapadoodle darling!!' ok, whatever!

pull your hair as tightly back as you can and put it in a pony tail. cheap as chips and an instant face lift!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Never mind.

What did we do before google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_facelift
ahh, you got there first!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bnescollick View Post
I know this thread will start arguments, therefore i apologise now if anyone should take offence to my comments.

I was out this morning walking my two "erberts" before work. Jake (EBT) was sniffing around happily when something caught his attention, seconds later Jack stopped what he was doing and also looked in the same direction. I looked over to see what was so interesting and noticed a lady walking a Minature Terrier of some sort on a lead in the distance, By now my two had lost interest and where carrying on with their business. so i returned to my coffee and practicing my jedi mind tricks on the boys to do their thing so we could head back home.
A couple of minutes goes past and this lady walks past me with her dog, my boys started to amble over to say hello when all hell broke loose! This women starts screaming "NO NO NO NO YOU DON'T!" She picks her dog up and then to my complete astonishment turns to me and says i'm reporting you to the council for having out of control dogs!

I can honestly say i have never been so confused and angry all at the same time. I managed (through gritted teeth) to say "excuse me? could you explain to me EXACTELY how you interpretted my dogs actions as being out of control?" she said " i've seen these sorts of dogs in the paper their dangerous, they were about to attack my (i swear she actually said this) poochums i can tell"

What follow's is as true and as accurate as i can recall.

" You've seen them in the papers have you? wow that must make you the worlds foremost ( F word) expert on dog breeds and behaviour! what else did you read in the paper or do you just look at the pretty pictures?"
"Just out of interest, why do you keep your dog on the lead in the park?"
"i keep him on the lead because he gets so excited with the smells in the park he won't come back" was her reply.

I think i may have turned blue!

"Are you taking the (P Word)! you have the (F word) audacity to accuse my dogs of being out of control for no reason other than you saw a similar picture of a dog in a (F word) newspaper and you can't even teach your dog the simplest (F word) command in the book!"

I feel the need to describe the scene to you. My two dipsticks were sat down looking at me waiting to see when their walk could carry on occasional looking over at the the women carrying her now frantic "poochums" who was desperate to get down and play.

"You have no (F word) idea how to be a responsible dog owner, i'm a trained Army dog handler and take great pride in having two very well behaved and balanced dogs who as you can see are perfectly calm and happy, where as you haven't got a (F word) clue what your dog needs or wants and can't even get him to recall. He's in your arms now struggling to get down but it's already to late because if you did put him down now he's so hyped up HE would start a fight, all he knows is these dogs arrived and then you picked him up, therefore something is wrong and these dogs are the only possible cause. Your a (F word) idiot who is destroying what could be a lovely dog. Go and get some training lessons for you then take him along aswell!"

I left scene before i said something i would regret.
Any one else had an encounter with a moron?
Firstly , why would someone who keeps their dog on a lead, knowing the dog has no recall anger you so much, she was being responsible !!! in my book.

Your dogs were the ones who approached her on lead dog, all hell broke loose because you had no control over your dogs!!!

And yes she may have gone overboard with her ramblings about breed ism, but to be honest with your foul language response, you did nothing to expel the myth of a certain type to a certain breed!!!

You had the opportunity to educate this lady as to the true nature of your breed... instead of raining down a tirade of bad language on her....

Probably sent her home confirming her image of breeds and their owners
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »