View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 06:34 PM
It's a pain when you live in a tiny little town,surrounded by countryside and the roads are not gritted,to get to our house you have hills to go up,steep hills whichever way you choose to go,so you will get stuck if you take the car out.

It's even more of a pain when you have frozen pipes and can't use the downstairs toilet or do any washing especially when you have a child that wets the bed every night.

Roll on summer!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I don't get why it's such a hassle? (unless you are lesser mobile etc etc which is totally understandable)

We've got 8'' and more falling and I've been to work, food shopping, walked the dog for hours and had so much fun in it. We even walked over the hills with friends and the dogs to the pub yesterday and had a few cheeky ones by the fire and then walked back again.

You guys are soft ;o)
From my point of view it isn't really any hassle other than it hurts my knees to walk through it when out with Hen, and I'm terrified of jarring my knees and being immobile again.

Clive, on the other hand, has to attend emergencies all over Bucks, Beds and Northants and getting out of our road is a challenge in itself, hills either side with a fair size dip in the middle, so you get caught both ends if you're not careful. But, it is the other drivers that are ill equipped to be driving in it, but need to get about for one reason or another, that are causing accidents all over the place and therefore putting Clive at risk. Plus, a lot of his jobs are outside, I wouldn't fancy having to do intricate keyhole work whilst getting frozen to the core.

I know I'm a softee really
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I don't get why it's such a hassle? (unless you are lesser mobile etc etc which is totally understandable)
Its hassle for loads of people, who need to get to elderly parents/grandparents to make sure their ok and fed, who need to get to work to sort out animals. who need to do longish journeys to get to their work and familes, where there is traffic every where and as cars are going so slow it takes over double the time. walking in this weather might be ok for some who are local to their work, shops and family but for them that arent then driving is a must on with the roads being so dangerous at present its a right pain in them bum.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:16 PM
There's snow in Swindon! Mum got up at 6 on Saturday morning, and said it was snowing, but not alot had laid, then when she kicked me up at 9, there was quite a covering!

We had some more today, but I can cope with the few inches we have here, compared with the few feet I had in Scotland end of last year/beginning of this year!

It was great on Sat, was at work for all of 2 hours, because it was so quiet and got sent home an hour early yesterday!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Its not snowing yet, but is forecast to... I don't mind when I don't have to go to work, but I have a long walk into work and have unstable tendons in my ankles, due to many accidents as a child/teenager so walking on ice is awkward.... but I know alot of people are worse off than us so I won't moan!!
Still I have managed to work, food shop, go to doctors and go to the post office!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 07:30 PM
More snow this morning, the roads were lethal, but I won't let it stop me anymore, I drove up to the bottom of Cissbury Hill and walked the dogs, I was the only car in the car park. It was very interesting coming back down the hill, but I kept in first gear with my foot on the clutch, and if I needed a bit more speed, Ijust took my foot off the clutch, I'm getting the hang of this now!

Tonight we have rain, but they say that will turn to snow overnight until first thing coz of course, it's going way under zero now. Hubby just came home and said after that rain, it's now turned into a complete ice rink even across our driveway where the rain melted the snow, then froze it all Should be fun in the morning then!

It's easy walking where I walk, coz it's grassy downland with fresh snow, that's not a problem, it's the getting there that's the problem, and getting back is even more difficult!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:05 PM
I can wholeheartedly recommend getting some Ice Grips for boots/shoes - I bought the last pair in the local pound shop (ironically, for £5!!) and they are a godsend.

I've had people coming up to me today asking what they were and where did I get them, and have walked miles in them over the last 3 days.

I am normally terrified of slipping over as I had several falls a year or two ago (for no known reason) but I can walk in these normally and confidently without tensing up, even crossing roads that are shiny sheet ice.

When it snowed last February I didn't walk my dog for almost 2 weeks for fear of slipping and injuring myself - living on my own it could have been disastrous if I'd broken something (especially when I last fell I broke a finger).

Been hard to keep me indoors this time, with these ice thingies though!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Ooooooh never heard of those, do they clip onto your boots then underneath (obviously!!! lol!) I might check those out, I wonder if Millets do them I'm going down the town tomorrow and we have a Millets?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Ooooooh never heard of those, do they clip onto your boots then underneath (obviously!!! lol!) I might check those out, I wonder if Millets do them I'm going down the town tomorrow and we have a Millets?
I don't know.... can't see any on their site

They are rubber things with studs underneath that fit over your boots/shoes. I know that Bettaware do them, and other places online but I noticed they started selling out of them back in November!

Yaktrax have been mentioned on here before, similar principle but a different design and said to be longer-lasting (higher price too). I may invest in some of these for the future.... but knowing my luck it won't snow again for another 20 years
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Misty - how much snow have you got now? Hubby's working from home as we've got about 10'' in West Oxfordshire and he works in Swindon.

DD - I walked to our centre yesterday to help out with the animals but there were plenty of staff in. It does make everything take longer and it is harder, but it's do-able and it's so pretty and different I just find it so exciting. Also, Woody's face in it is well worth it for me, he just goes crazy in it and grins from ear to ear.

Aww Sheree you're so cute. I totally understand the fear of falling. I'm exactly the same after two knee ops and a torn Achilles and Gastroneimus in April this year.

My snow bots arrived yesterday and they are incredible! So grippy they actually suck the snow into the grips. On our walk yesterday my husband was sliding all over the place in his Scarpa apres ski boots and I was charging on ahead feeling warm, dry and surprisingly confident.

They're expensive, but well worth it (and look great with leggings and an a-line denim skirt as well as jeans ;o)

http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Prod...dimensions=200

p.s. check out the soles! ;o)
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >