View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Would like to take this topic back to weather the Ban on Hunting was a good law or needs to be changed or got rid off

This law brought in that the use of dogs to KILL an animal (excluding Rabbits and Rats ) was illegal but they could still be use to flush them out

What is aloud is you can hunt any animal with a pack of dogs as long you have a Shotgun to dispatch the said animal(greyhound coursers have stopped their sport because the dispatched of the Hare could also injure the dog)

As this law stands I could be walking Three dogs who blot a fox or hare (not a rabbit)and they go on kill it then I would be prosecuted and my dogs PTS because I was not carrying a shotgun.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Dawn, I think you have implied that all hunt sabs are looney animal rights activists who don't care about animals. They may exist but they would be in a very small minority. I have known hunt protesters who have been seriously beaten up and had their cars vandalised by hunt supporters as well. In the end thugs and idiots are the same no matter what side of the cause they choose.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Dawn, I think you have implied that all hunt sabs are looney animal rights activists who don't care about animals. They may exist but they would be in a very small minority. I have known hunt protesters who have been seriously beaten up and had their cars vandalised by hunt supporters as well. In the end thugs and idiots are the same no matter what side of the cause they choose.
Excellent points.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You cant do this LB, an animal just isnt capable of thinking this way. Horses fall on the race track, you could say they "know" this, doesnt stop them jumping again nor racing does it? A dog that runs into a fence in the park whilst playing with another doesnt refuse to go into the park the following day for fear of it happening again, they cannot think like this.
Good point Dawn. Horses' brains are in their hooves ... whereas I wouldn't go as far as my husband's description of them as being "thick herbivores", they certainly have no power to think logically or reason. They will gallop with a broken leg. The cleverest aspect of a horse is the amazing memory they have. They will remember for ever more a particular spot on a ride when a killer crisp packet rustled in the hedge in a very dangerous way, threatening their very life! For ever more when you ride past that spot, the wretched animal will shy at that very spot in anticipation of imminent death!!

I believe I am right in saying that it is only primates and homo sapiens that have the power of a deeper logic and reasoning, maybe elephants too. Most animals will learn from pain ... but deeper thought beyond that is beyond them, their brains are just not wired up to think in this way.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes those types of Foxes I mean.

With the numbers of Foxes increasing everywhere, its inevitable that they will appear more common and be seen more I suppose. Thing is with Foxes, they become very "comfortable" in their surroundings very quickly, and may not see a dog or a person as a threat, again its the "town" effect, they lose their natural behaviour.

Dont think for one second I dont like Foxes, I do, I like all native British Wildlife, but they do need control. When people change their behaviour through our behaviour towards them, thats when it becomes a problem, for them and for us.

We have a family of Foxes just yards from our house, I can see them most nights, but lately in the colder weather they come out during the late afternoon. It was just a week or so ago I noticed the vixen has little coat on her tail, mange I expect, but I also wonder whether her behaviour has changed because of it, coming out earlier and the cubs which really should of been kicked out by now, are copying. All goes for making problems when wild animals dont behave naturally.

Here are a few pics, I even PAID £80 to photograph Foxes!!
Wow! Fab photos !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Aarggghh! Most of the farmers and shepherds I know only want individual problem foxes (who make it a habit to prey on lambs) destroyed. However, shooting estate landowners and gamekeepers in particular want the whole of the fox (and stoat/corvid) population totally exterminated. Now that I do not, and will not ever, agree with.

Unfortunately for hill farmers in hard mountainous areas, such as remote parts of the Lake District, Wales and the Scottish Highlands, they struggle to make a living from sheep (although thankfully prices have picked up slightly this year) and if there is a fox (or foxes) who have learned that young lambs make easy prey and continue to come back night after night after lambs, then unfortunately that fox becomes a problem and has to be dealt with Usually in a very humane way (ie someone lies in wait for the fox with a rifle and gets a clean shot).

I do agree with you though that, in my view, foxes are not vermin. I love them.
I understand Moobli, but I just don't agree with it. I fully understand and am aware the struggle of the highland and cumbrian sheep farmers ... we have similar problems with our own sheep farmers here in Northamptonshire. However, I just do not and will never accept that this gives man the right to kill even the rogue foxes who have learned that a juicy lamb is a very tasty meal. They are opportunistic like any intelligent animal, and if they see a shortcut to a tasty meal, they will take it. Wouldn't you? It is the age old story of man -v- beast.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Unfortunately some saboteurs are in it for the violence and for a punch up, and are not animal lovers at all. However, foxes also cross roads, railway lines etc and the hounds follow wherever the fox goes - so there is always a risk of hounds being hit by a train or a car (and also for entering private gardens and attacking pets), which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sabs.
I know and it is abhorrent. I don't know the proportion of "good" sabs who are there purely because they want to protect the fox, to "bad" ones who are just anarchists, there for the thrill of the fight and "getting one over on the toffs" (a complete nonsense of course because just as many working class people go hunting as upper class of course). Whatever, and whoever, they do their cause no good at all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I understand Moobli, but I just don't agree with it. I fully understand and am aware the struggle of the highland and cumbrian sheep farmers ... we have similar problems with our own sheep farmers here in Northamptonshire. However, I just do not and will never accept that this gives man the right to kill even the rogue foxes who have learned that a juicy lamb is a very tasty meal. They are opportunistic like any intelligent animal, and if they see a shortcut to a tasty meal, they will take it. Wouldn't you? It is the age old story of man -v- beast.
But that is the point unfortunately. Once a fox has found an easy meal it will return again and again. If one fox took one lamb at lambing time there wouldn't be the need for the fox to be killed. However, if the fox returns again and again, then the sheep farmer is forced to put a stop to the killing, otherwise they will lose their way of making a living.

As I have already made clear, I love foxes, I really wish they weren't as ruthlessly persecuted as they are but unfortunately, at times, a certain fox may need controlling. If it done quickly and humanely then my conscience can allow that.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Good point Dawn. Horses' brains are in their hooves ... whereas I wouldn't go as far as my husband's description of them as being "thick herbivores", they certainly have no power to think logically or reason. They will gallop with a broken leg. The cleverest aspect of a horse is the amazing memory they have. They will remember for ever more a particular spot on a ride when a killer crisp packet rustled in the hedge in a very dangerous way, threatening their very life! For ever more when you ride past that spot, the wretched animal will shy at that very spot in anticipation of imminent death!!

I believe I am right in saying that it is only primates and homo sapiens that have the power of a deeper logic and reasoning, maybe elephants too. Most animals will learn from pain ... but deeper thought beyond that is beyond them, their brains are just not wired up to think in this way.
Lmao at the killer crisp packet. Its quite ridiculas, some of the things a horse will spook at.

You forgot dolphins, they've certainly got the brain size, and complexity, they're self aware, seem capable of understanding abstractions like tv, and understand word order, which is somethin even our fello apes, find difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3sQsTE5tA

There was also an incident in which a group of dolphins encircled, and defended a group of swimmers from a shark, this interaction went on for about 45 minutes, so was def not incidental. Thats not the first of those kinds of interaction, which, points to an even more complex thought process, after all, what did the dolphins have to gain, from helping the swimmers, theycould have been attacked themselves.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Not Really into Debating....... But some memories.

Boxing day Meet, Small girl on a Grey Swelsh Section A , refusing a Sausage roll, Because she was a Vegetarian!!!!!

Getting Absolutley Trollied on Master Jims home made wine Making it out of the gate, then just went home to drunk

Sitting on a road watching a fox go one way across the field & the hounds & the whippers in going the other

Lizzy rubbing her head so violently on my leg that she rubbed her bridle off!

Summer days at Country Fairs watching the Hounds do a parade & then all the kids move in for a stroke the hounds, then when they went back there was always this one hound a lemon & white with his head in someones Sarnies!!!!!

Summer Shows, Drunken Point to points, country Fairs, Hound & Terrier Shows, Xmas Balls etc etc, all to raise funds for the hunt & day to day countryside life & enjoyed by people who didnt even know that theyt were supporting the hunt

sitting on a skewbald cob in a farm yard when she backed up to the barn doors making a almighty clatter & scarying my friend so much she fell off.

watching the foxhounds faces as a stag ran through them one day, sheer confusion & suprise

trying to stop for a wee!!!!

seeing wild foxes on exmoor when out for a walk or a ride. & seeing them looking back at me!!!!!!

ive only been a handful of times, & although i enjoyed it , its not really for me, but i dont agree with the ban. If i dont want to go, despite the happy memories i wont go, but i certaininly wouldnt stop people that want to go from going,

Some sad Memories

Hearing that the antis had put Wires out for the dogs & Horses on the Hill next to mine.

the next year hearing that poision had been put down for the hounds

one boxing day meet, the antis shouting over a 85yrold master who was just trying to give his speech, a 85yrold man, who fought in the war & sells poppies each year .

coming out of the court in August (jury Service) & finding a mangey fox in the Park (Cardiff) & bringing him food each day for my two weeks jury service

seeing a fox in a sanctuary, too fat & looking completly bored rigid
Wow, what memories have been evoked Mish !! I am finding it hard to remain an anti with every word I read ! Joking apart, no-one should ever "knock" the sheer history of fox hunting, the marvellous old characters that still go hunting in their 80's, the old hunters that can no longer go hunting, but who go absolutely bonkers galloping round their fields when they hear the distant hunting horn. I would be a complete and utter bare-faced liar if I said that until the hunting ban, the sound of the Gone Away did not send shivers down my spine, and sent my heart leaping for joy!! I can still feel this way, and yet be an anti purely on the grounds that I believe we have no justification for killing foxes ... whether it be by hound or by gun. In addition, how can we look a native African in the eye and tell him that he must not kill elephants for their ivory, or zebra for their skin, or rhino for his horn, all of which pursuits will bring him in a good income (and a small fortune for the dealers), when we are chasing foxes on horseback and killing them with hounds for "fun". Top that with the fact that hounds do not always kill the fox instantly, and I have to declare myself to be an Anti.

It took me many years to become an Anti, it did not happen overnight, but it got to a point when I could not justify to my own conscience my continuance to be a hunt supporter.
Page 65 of 94 « First < 15 55 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 75 > Last »