Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ill tell you pidge, wont make it up, wont tell you lies. I love hunting. My mother hated it, father isnt bothered. When I was young I expressed an interest, my parents got me in touch with hunts to find out about it, no propaganda, no making things up. I went to meets, I enjoyed the atmosphere, the Horses, the Hounds and the general friendliness I was shown.

I havent ridden a Horse in many years, I follow on foot. Ive never ever seen a Fox caught by the Hounds, nor do I express a wish to do so, not many of the followers ever do. I love the chase, I love the pack, I love the hunt. I am satisfied that the Fox will be caught and killed almost instantly, if not it will be UNHARMED. If it goes to ground, it depends of the Farmers wishes as to whether its dug out and shot.

Ive seen Foxes mangled in snares, riddled with mange, hit by cars, shot but not killed, all of these leave the animal a long suffering death Id never wish on anything. Hunting is kill instantly or run free and unharmed.

Its not about the pink coats, thats just traditional wear, nobody moans about the Beefeaters, guards or the Queen in all her "traditional" wear do they? Thats all it is, a "uniform" nothing more, and of course there are no rules stating you have to wear it.

Its legal to shoot a Fox, and miss, and leave it to suffer for days if you cant find it. Its legal to snare a fox and for it to chew its leg off in a desperate attempt to escape, then die days later of massive infection and blood poisoning. Its legal for you to gas a Fox hole, and HOPE thats who is at home, they will suffer too, long extended periods of suffering before they finally die, along with anything else that may be there. Its also legal for you to poison the Fox, assuming of course thats who gets the poison, look how many dogs are poisoned, you can bet most of that was left for Foxes, but who is to tell the dog that?

So for me, hunting, is the safest and quickest method to reduce Fox numbers on land where Farmers want the numbers reduced. Supporting farmers and the countryside, keeping the Foxes in the Countryside healthy, not like the mange ridden things in towns, skeletal some of them and in obvious poor health.

Hope that helps a little.
Thanks for your insight Dawn. I can actually see why a hunt would be exciting. I also love the hounds and the horses, there is always a real atmosphere and everyone is always very friendly (I have attended a couple of fox hunts as well as a harrier hunt so I could see for myself). However, as I am an admirer and lover of the red fox, I could never allow myself to agree with hunting. I do not see it as a credible way of fox control. Although, if the only method of fox control allowed was a hunt (with no snaring, trapping, poison, shooting etc etc) then I would agree to it, as the fox would definitely stand a better chance of survival.

Also, where you live is it the farmers who want the hunt or landowners? As I have said in an earlier post, up here it tends to be landowners, and not farmers, who allow the hunt over the land. In fact many farmers/shepherds I know do not want their land churned up by horses, sheep scared by the hounds, gates sometimes left open by the less responsible etc etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

Excellent post Dawn, very well explained.

It is a terrible thing that farmers THINK that foxes need to be killed, but I totally agree that if the murder of these beautiful animals is to continue, I would prefer to see them hunted than shot.

My argument is that foxes are NOT vermin and do not need to be culled. Neither do badgers.
Aarggghh! Most of the farmers and shepherds I know only want individual problem foxes (who make it a habit to prey on lambs) destroyed. However, shooting estate landowners and gamekeepers in particular want the whole of the fox (and stoat/corvid) population totally exterminated. Now that I do not, and will not ever, agree with.

Unfortunately for hill farmers in hard mountainous areas, such as remote parts of the Lake District, Wales and the Scottish Highlands, they struggle to make a living from sheep (although thankfully prices have picked up slightly this year) and if there is a fox (or foxes) who have learned that young lambs make easy prey and continue to come back night after night after lambs, then unfortunately that fox becomes a problem and has to be dealt with Usually in a very humane way (ie someone lies in wait for the fox with a rifle and gets a clean shot).

I do agree with you though that, in my view, foxes are not vermin. I love them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes, target the humans, fair play, although I would never advocate violence ... but to hurt the horses or hounds, it beats me too.
Unfortunately some saboteurs are in it for the violence and for a punch up, and are not animal lovers at all. However, foxes also cross roads, railway lines etc and the hounds follow wherever the fox goes - so there is always a risk of hounds being hit by a train or a car (and also for entering private gardens and attacking pets), which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sabs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Stunning photos Dawn. Where were they taken?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I absolutely abhor snares too - and unfortunately have to live with them as my husband is head shepherd on a shooting estate Two of my dogs got caught in snares recently. Flame (GSD) had one round her muzzle which was extremely tight and I would hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been there quickly to help her out. The other dog that was caught around the neck was one of my hubby's working dogs and thankfully she didn't panic and I was able to let her free with relative ease. I wish they would be banned and I often have heated discussions with the keepers up here about them. However, I also hate lamping foxes at night (which is also a regular occurrence where I live) as it is not easy to cleanly shoot and kill a fox that is fleeing for its life over heather I can understand why keepers cannot allow foxes around their release pens and also, as this is a grouse moor, they want to protect the ground nesting birds. However, what I don't understand is that it seems that every fox up here has to be extinguished. They won't tolerate any at all, which I find hard to stomach. Especially when I heard of a vixen with six cubs being killed last year Not one was allowed to live.

Part of the reason I believe that fox hunting on horseback is all about the thrill of the sport, is that if they were seriously wanting to control foxes they would use dogs such as lurchers, which could catch and kill a fox with relative ease and in a much shorter space of time - ie no long, drawn out chase. But, hey, where is the fun in that?!

That is very true, lurchers would be a much more efficient way of catching foxes. But in my (limited) experience of hunting it is almost like a religion to some, steeped in tradition that goes back centuries. In some places whole communities were involved in hunting, one way or another.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes those types of Foxes I mean.

With the numbers of Foxes increasing everywhere, its inevitable that they will appear more common and be seen more I suppose. Thing is with Foxes, they become very "comfortable" in their surroundings very quickly, and may not see a dog or a person as a threat, again its the "town" effect, they lose their natural behaviour.

Dont think for one second I dont like Foxes, I do, I like all native British Wildlife, but they do need control. When people change their behaviour through our behaviour towards them, thats when it becomes a problem, for them and for us.

We have a family of Foxes just yards from our house, I can see them most nights, but lately in the colder weather they come out during the late afternoon. It was just a week or so ago I noticed the vixen has little coat on her tail, mange I expect, but I also wonder whether her behaviour has changed because of it, coming out earlier and the cubs which really should of been kicked out by now, are copying. All goes for making problems when wild animals dont behave naturally.

Here are a few pics, I even PAID £80 to photograph Foxes!!

Wow Dawn, they are beautiful, well done you (winning your argument quite gracefully I see ;o)

I LOVE the yawning one, it's stunning and shows the fox looking so relaxed and simple.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Although I do wonder why most people think of Fox hounds when talking about this, what about Lurchers? Diesel's parents was bred to be fox hunters, and so was Diesel's litter he would of been used illegally to hunt and kill Foxes if he was sold to the people who his breeder and seller wanted him to be sold too, and I'm sure that some of his litter mates are being used, but they would not chase for a long time, but could be slipped and catch a fox quite quickly.
The only reason I think of foxhounds is because I have only ever lived in innercity Birmingham and this is how it is portrayed to us in the media. I just remember when the ban was coming in that was the topic that the many foxhounds would have to be pts as you can never home them in an ordinary household environment!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
they might love to do it, but are they aware of the dangers involved?? and i think the figures of injured hounds will be more than 'a few'. also, i never blamed the hounds. and i dont, i blame the sick people who train them.
I genuinally believe it is in the dogs blood it is instinct. Dizzy is a foxhound x and I have never seen such a reaction as the first time she saw a fox. I have not trained her to be like this and she lives with all sorts of furries and cats etc but she wanted to chase that fox. It pulled me up on her capabilities and how her natural instinct took over.

I don't know enough about hunting to make a judgement either way but I can't say the idea sits comfortably with me.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Morning.
Yes Hounds are shot when they get too old, they are the sole responsibility of the hunts and are cared for and PTS by them. This can be youngish if the Hound has a poor temperament (rare) or if it isnt any good at hunting, again rare. Usually and more and more common a Hound an be 10yrs old and upwards and is still hunting , these dogs are incredibly fit. I think it was the Quorn Hunt I visited a few years ago and a 13yr old Hound was still hunting, looked terrific. As I said earlier, most of the Hounds were relocated to other packs, some have since regrouped getting back their stock, I dont think there are too many less than there were originally but I dont know for certain how many.
i know it happens, and it is sick and horrible. again, its a case of a dog serving his or her purpose, and then no longer being wanted. and just for the sake of ripping a poor animal to shreds, how lovely.

It isnt rubbish, its a choice. When purchasing a Horse would you rather have one sound in mind and body, or one that has never galloped nor been exposed to crowds, people, animals and the countryside?
there are other ways of doing that, not just taking part in hunts.

You cant do this LB, an animal just isnt capable of thinking this way. Horses fall on the race track, you could say they "know" this, doesnt stop them jumping again nor racing does it? A dog that runs into a fence in the park whilst playing with another doesnt refuse to go into the park the following day for fear of it happening again, they cannot think like this.
thats the point i am trying to make though, they might enjoy what they are doing but they dont understand what could happen to them, but we do. so i am not saying they think that way, i am saying they dont. so therefore, we shouldnt put them in those situations.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Just wanted to add..
I am SO jealous of those that have seen badgers...I really want to see badgers and sadly have never seen one.

I also wanted to add...the 'city' foxes in my area are beautiful, not at all mange ridden. There are loads, as I said, where we walk the dogs regularly and they are in excellent condition. They do have quite extensive woodland to roam in, a churchayard and park...plus more woodland close by (over the road!) Perhaps that is why, as they have lots of space, but also access to houses and gardens etc. We see them quite alot. (we also get quite a diverse array of birdlife...)
we get loads of badgers around here, i love them lol. one actually chased my ex, which i thought was brilliant but my sister is scared of them and wont go in the garden on her own at night

and the foxes around here also look very good, i think they are beautiful animals.

Dont think for one second I dont like Foxes, I do, I like all native British Wildlife, but they do need control. When people change their behaviour through our behaviour towards them, thats when it becomes a problem, for them and for us.
beautiful photos, but why did you pay £80 to take photos of foxes, who you think are vermin and deserve to be killed??

also, hunting is terrible fox control. the numbers getting killed from hunting (before the ban and now), are way too low to make any big difference to the population.

Part of the reason I believe that fox hunting on horseback is all about the thrill of the sport, is that if they were seriously wanting to control foxes they would use dogs such as lurchers, which could catch and kill a fox with relative ease and in a much shorter space of time - ie no long, drawn out chase. But, hey, where is the fun in that?!
it is for fun, and its sick. if it was for a shift kill they wouldnt have bred the hounds to be slower but have more stamina. and, like you say, if it was purely for fox control then why not just use lurchers...

Unfortunately some saboteurs are in it for the violence and for a punch up, and are not animal lovers at all. However, foxes also cross roads, railway lines etc and the hounds follow wherever the fox goes - so there is always a risk of hounds being hit by a train or a car (and also for entering private gardens and attacking pets), which has nothing whatsoever to do with the sabs.
thats a very good point, i have also heard of how the dogs can attack pets and other wildlife while the adreneline is pumping and excitement is high.

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
That is very true, lurchers would be a much more efficient way of catching foxes. But in my (limited) experience of hunting it is almost like a religion to some, steeped in tradition that goes back centuries. In some places whole communities were involved in hunting, one way or another.
maybe it is tradition, but is a fox's suffering worth that?? tradition is a terrible way to excuse the suffering those poor animals go through.

Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
I genuinally believe it is in the dogs blood it is instinct. Dizzy is a foxhound x and I have never seen such a reaction as the first time she saw a fox. I have not trained her to be like this and she lives with all sorts of furries and cats etc but she wanted to chase that fox. It pulled me up on her capabilities and how her natural instinct took over.

I don't know enough about hunting to make a judgement either way but I can't say the idea sits comfortably with me.
yes, it is instinct but they still need to be taught what to do. hence why cub hunting takes place, to teach the dogs what they are to do. and cub hunting also shows it isnt just the old and ill that get killed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I absolutely abhor snares too - and unfortunately have to live with them as my husband is head shepherd on a shooting estate Two of my dogs got caught in snares recently. Flame (GSD) had one round her muzzle which was extremely tight and I would hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been there quickly to help her out. The other dog that was caught around the neck was one of my hubby's working dogs and thankfully she didn't panic and I was able to let her free with relative ease. I wish they would be banned and I often have heated discussions with the keepers up here about them. However, I also hate lamping foxes at night (which is also a regular occurrence where I live) as it is not easy to cleanly shoot and kill a fox that is fleeing for its life over heather I can understand why keepers cannot allow foxes around their release pens and also, as this is a grouse moor, they want to protect the ground nesting birds. However, what I don't understand is that it seems that every fox up here has to be extinguished. They won't tolerate any at all, which I find hard to stomach. Especially when I heard of a vixen with six cubs being killed last year Not one was allowed to live.

Not really, its only very recently that "Bull" has been used in Lurchers to control Foxes. There is no way a Lurcher normally run alone, will ever be able to kill a Fox ion a near instant as a Hound does.
Page 63 of 94 « First < 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 > Last »