View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:15 PM
OH well done Amanda and Cain, that is a fantastic achievement there to get a good recall all that amount of times away from other dogs, especially one that he's fixated on, it's brilliant! That far outweighs the few scraps tonight! You have no worry about recall now if you can call him away like that
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
OH well done Amanda and Cain, that is a fantastic achievement there to get a good recall all that amount of times away from other dogs, especially one that he's fixated on, it's brilliant! That far outweighs the few scraps tonight! You have no worry about recall now if you can call him away like that
Thanks H, I'm pretty chuffed His bolting behaviour when something catches his interest worries me and I'm definately not letting him off lead in public just yet! But this sort of progress makes me hopeful that it might happen one day
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Well done Cain with his fantastic recall even around the other dogs I'm sure things will settle down with the new dogs and he will soon be able to go off lead in public

Had quite a good week had a bit of a reaction at the vets when another little dog started barking and pulling towards him i was a bit off guard as i had just opened the consulting room door so he did lunge and bark back and apparently he was a very naughty dog. He calmed down though once the other dog stopped barking and then started whining which got him a cuddle from the vet nurse. He also had a bark at a collie who was barking at him but when we saw them later on the field with a bit more distance between them he ignored it. I've tried to relax a bit more and let him greet some new dogs which so far he has met a couple this week and been really good two of them where quite playful and came bouncing over but although he was a bit tense to start with he soon relaxed.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Well done to Anton - sounds like the OH is well on his way to being fully accepted.

Great news about Cain and his recalling away from other dogs. You are doing so well with him.

Glad to hear you are able to relax and regain the confidence to let Ted meet some new dogs, Emma.

All good stuff!

Reactive dog class was a bit blaagh yesterday. I think Polo barking at this particular collie is just becoming a habit now. So, we decided to desensitise Polo to her - initially playing look at the dog, and then specifically look at Mia. Later on we decided to try an experiment whereby the trainer brought out a collie and was to then disappear and reappear with Mia to see if he was just reacting to Mia and her owner. Well that went down like a lead balloon as Polo just barked at the first collie and just started randomly barking and being silly.

Back to the drawing board again as we keep pushing Polo over threshold. So we did bar open/bar closed with a game of tug. Far more successful!

Sheepdog training went very well. We were out of the ring and into the field with Polo balancing the sheep to me. Great fun! He remained out for coffee break lay about with six other collies. Now if I could carry a sheep around with me all the time, Polo would not worry about any dogs!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Welldone guys.

Just realised its been a while since I last posted on this thread, so here's a Storm update. This may get a bit long so apologies.

Whilst he's had his moments, in general theres been a noticable improvement in his reaction towards other dogs.

To give you an idea of the improvement:

When we attended his first reactivity class, he spent at leas half an hour of it, either barking, wining and or, attempting to lunge and that was from several meetres away. Even when that stopped he wasn't exactly relaxed. That was the norm with other dogs, esp males.

Now compair that to this evenings walk:

The first dog we came across was a gorgeous large male rotty who lives across the road from us. He's reacted to it before. Anyway, the dog passed us at a distance of less than a meetre it only required 2 treats and a good boy and he passed it with no reaction other than mild interest.

No. 2 was a breed unidentified bitch, also passing at less than a meetre this time head on, again only reaction was mild interest.

3 was more of a challenge in the form of a reactive male golden retriever. We gave them both as much space as pos, though it was still only about 1.5 to 2 m. Despite the fact that the other dog was making a lot of noise and attempting to lunge, Storm much to our surprise did, well nothing, he just looked at it calmly and continued walking. He was more interested in getting the treats he knew we had, then the other dog.

4 and 5 came together as a rotty and lab puppy, he did get a bit excited at this point, but it was def the I want to play kind. Though it only took a matter of seconds to get him settled again.

The labs owner didn't hang about, but I knew the rotty pup and his owner, though it was the first time they'd seen our 2. I knew her pup could be a bit nervous, so at first Storm was kept further away and to his credit, he was quite happy to sit and watch whilst Nyle went and made friends. After things had settled a bit, Storm was brought closer and the 2 of them were absolutely fine.

Infact, Storm gave him a quick sniff and then decided that Cesar wasn't that interesting after all and pretty much ignored him after that.

Another dog did have a snap at him about a week ago, he didn't make any attempt to retaliate.

A few weeks before that, he was also introduced to 3 dallies, 2 other choc labs and a boxer puppy at the same time. One dal had a grumble which he ignored. About 10 minutes later he met a large lab x poodle pup which he was also fine with. The only down side to that encounter was that a rotty bitch he dislikes appeared as well. But oh well, I don't expect him to like every dog he meets (after all, I don't like every person I meet). However, I did make sure he had another positive dog experience before we left the area.

So yeah, you could say I'm quite pleased with how things are progressing.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Well done.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Well done! Storm sounds like he is progressing in leaps and bounds.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well done.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Well done! Storm sounds like he is progressing in leaps and bounds.

Thanks, as I said he does still have his moments, but in general there's a great improvement.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Very very impressive that sounds like huge progress! Obviously all your hard work is starting to pay off
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks.
Page 63 of 101 « First < 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 > Last »