Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Can you provide the evidence of this please.
I do provide good factual evidence.

Classic example of how the industry's regulators sanctioned appalling conditions and then went on to 'reward' Eve Blanchard with a Trainers Assistance Grant.

http://www.greytexploitations.com/re...eyhounds-voice

Joanne Page - merely cautioned at local level for having 4 healthy greyhounds destroyed without making the slightest effort to have them re-homed.

Andrew Peacock - severely reprimanded and fined, twice in the same year, for two separate doping incidents involving cocaine.
As said Trudy it is easy for you to quote the bad, you seem to have totally dismissed the second part of my post.

The GBGB need to get tougher with these people I am not disputing that.

You're right they did decide to help Blanchard out rather than remove her license, I know this as they informed me in response to my letter of complaint I'd written them. It wasn't the reply I wanted to hear.

Norah McEllistrim became involved as Chair of the Greyhound Trainers Association, these are her updates.

04 June 2009

In recent months there has been a lot of publicity concerning Eve Blanchard’s kennels, in Dorset.

I will not go into details here; there is ample reading material available on the internet for those who wish to read it. Suffice to say that any adverse publicity is not good for greyhound racing, and as greyhound trainers we are all affected.

I immediately made it my business to find out for myself what was going on at Eve’s kennels, and what the GBGB were doing about it. Over the course of the past few months I have been in close contact with Eve, with Colin Betteridge, and with Noel Thompson, to name but a few.

As always, in situations such as these, all is not as it first appears, and it was only by speaking directly to the people involved that I could find out what had happened, what was being done, and how I could help.

So, after literally hundreds of phone calls, and numerous face to face conversations, arrangements were put in place for me to travel to Eve’s kennels and bring some of the greyhounds there back with me to Hersham. Wimbledon Greyhound Welfare had already agreed to find room and care for them, and Eve had agreed to these arrangements.

On Monday 25th May, Bank Holiday Monday, I swept out and fed my own greyhounds before setting off to Eve’s. It was a hot day and probably not the best day to have chosen to do the journey. But I was determined to keep my promise to Eve, and to those greyhounds in her kennels that deserved a better standard of care, and a brighter future.

Eve, like so many before her was trying to save the greyhounds in her kennels, but was overwhelmed by the physical and financial demands of caring for so many. That and the fact that she was betrayed and taken advantage of by those she trusted to care for them. I am not making excuses; having met Eve, having visited her kennels, I can only tell you the impression I came away with. Eve is very wary of everyone, she has been threatened, and accused of all manner of things, and she is scared for the safety of her greyhounds. Shame on those who participated in this witch- hunt, they should put their time to better use.

Some seven hours later I returned to Hersham with 7 greyhounds. Not as many as I had hoped, but a start, and the first I hope of many who will make this journey. All the dogs were well fed and happy, and the one greyhound that needed it came with medication from the vet.

These greyhounds will adapt very quickly to their new surroundings, and new routine. With the help that is in place now, and has been for some time, Eve Blanchard’s kennels will also move forward. The rubbish, which had accumulated, has now been removed. As the kennel blocks are emptied they will be demolished to enlarge the outside areas for the dogs. Arrangements are underway to bring more greyhounds to Hersham. Mistakes are being rectified, shortcomings are being addressed, and lessons are being learnt.

And I’ve learnt never to travel to Dorset on a Bank Holiday Monday and expect to be back in 4 hours!

Update on Eve Blanchard

I am still working on this one, and keeping in close contact.

10 June 2009

Yesterday afternoon Eve Blanchard paid a visit to my kennels in Hersham,
she brought with her two more Greyhounds that are now being looked after by
Wimbledon Greyhound Welfare. We also discussed improvements to her kennels
and how to move forward, she has already paid to have the majority of the rubbish removed that was piled outside her kennels.

Whilst on the subject of Eve I would like to clarify that I did go down on that Bank Holiday Monday and get those dogs. Going on the Tuesday would have been impossible for me as there is racing Tuesday nights and there would have been concerns about me getting the Van back on time, So I did not mix up my days and all I can say is by claiming that I did not collect 7 dogs on Monday you are not only accusing Eve of lying you are also accusing me of lying - are all your claims that false and unfounded?

I would also like to add that the reason it took so long for me to finally get Eve to release some of her dogs was the simple fact that after all the abuse and threats she had received she no longer trusted anyone, and was not willing to give her dogs away without knowing who they were going to and that they would be happy and safe. It took all those phonecalls to get Eve to trust me enough to believe that the place I recommended would look after her dogs.

At the end of the day what is wrong and what is right is not always black and white. But the simple truth is that threatening, lying and bitching doesn't help anyone and it especially doesn't help the dogs. Working with someone and helping them does. I am still working with Eve Blanchard, and will continue to do so for as long as it takes.

15 August 2009

I know that people have been asking what is happening at Eve Blanchard’s kennels and with her dogs, so here’s an update. I have been keeping in close contact with Eve, and she recently travelled to Hersham to visit her greyhounds in the welfare kennels.

Several of Eve’s dogs are trialling at the moment, and we anticipate 5 more to leave her kennels within the next week.

The improvements at her kennels have now been completed. They have new interiors, new flooring, new roofing etc. One of the reasons for the delay in moving her dogs was because of the builders working at the kennels. Eve did not want to leave the dogs for too long whilst there were builders on site.

I’ll do my best to keep you updated.

Norah
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Why didnt the trainer keep Mimi when she retired?
Because he trained her not owned her.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:38 PM
From the link posted earlier.

what can only be seen as ‘cost cutting’ measures at the expense of the environment and animal welfare, the minimum standards for licensed Greyhound Regulatory Board kennels – previously known as the National Greyhound Racing Club - fall far short of those required for commercial boarding kennels under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, which forms the basis of the Model License Conditions – a standard used by the local authorities.

These standards stipulate a minimum and maximum temperature for kennels whilst GRB rules do not even consider heating or cooling to any level as basic requirements. This is an area of grave concern in view of the greyhound’s inability to physically cope with extremes of temperatures. It was noted that overnight temperatures fell to -6°c in Dorset last week and the housing of greyhounds in damp freezing conditions would surely constitute as cruel and causing unnecessary suffering - a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act
The highlighted bit is untrue, more propaganda. The boarding licensing act actually states:

that animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
So what that site quotes is clearly misleading and wrong.
Nixy69
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
From the link posted earlier.

The highlighted bit is untrue, more propaganda. The boarding licensing act actually states:

So what that site quotes is clearly misleading and wrong.
As are many many Greyhound articles that people read and believe wholeheartedly.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:46 PM
If that's aimed at me then tell me what I should believe when I've seen worrying literature and photographic evidence from all over the net.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

15-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Jodie for a start!
erm any more to add to that? I think on the other side of things you will find some of the 'pros' add very little or nothing to the rest of the forum - just an aside
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
If that's aimed at me then tell me what I should believe when I've seen worrying literature and photographic evidence from all over the net.
Zoe, unfortunately it would seem that only the bad gets reported on which is why it's so easy to find on the net. As I and others have said and tried to show is there are many many good people involved in racing who genuinely love and care for their dogs both during and after they finish racing.
The best thing you can do is to do what I did, get out there and visit the racing kennels, go to some race meetings, see the dogs in action, ask questions of the people involved and then draw your own conclusions.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I live nowhere near Romford and have no desire to attend a race meeting.
Are you saying you have never witnessed first hand what exactly goes on at a race meeting?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:58 PM
So you are telling me that Greyhound kennels require NO license? Not for boarding, selling or otherwise? Im not talking about the running of Greyhound racing, Im talking of the licensing of a commercial property.
Correctomundo!

Greyhound racing kennels are licensed by the GBGB.

They are excluded from the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 and are entirely separate from other animal boarding kennels. Most councils don't even know they exist - some are in breach of planning law and very few pay commercial rates.

They are inspected by GBGB stewards and the same stewards are supposed to impose relevant legislation.
Environmental, health and safety, employment law etc.

Breeders kennels are different - no matter what breed of dog - you have to be licensed/inspected by the local authorities.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
erm any more to add to that? I think on the other side of things you will find some of the 'pros' add very little or nothing to the rest of the forum - just an aside
No, why? Feeling left out?
Page 63 of 157 « First < 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 113 > Last »