Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
to be fair juniordaddy,it doesnt matter wether it was hand or fingertips,if it happened AFTER the dog gave the calming signal thats extremely bad timing and judgement,dont you think?
I'm no expert on dog signals so I watch the show as a whole experience & saw the dog didn't chase chickens & the family & dog were happy as an end result. I think CM gets things pretty much right but if you are telling me on this occasion his timing was wrong then I accept that it might of been too.

i agree.... juniordaddy have you ever heard of flight or fight?
Yes.

conditioning maybe? im not sure but put it this way....would you prefer not to do something because if you dont something good will happen,or,not to do it because something 'orrible wil happen? which would make you feel happier and secure?
Of course everyone would prefer something good but its not a perfect world.Sometimes you have to know what the consequence will be, especially when it comes to things that could be potentially life threatening. We are responsible to protect our animals & if that involves making them aware of consequence then thats fine by me. Sometimes you have time to take it slowly & let them learn the 'good way'. If that involves rewarding them thats also fine by me too. Every situation is diffferent.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I never knew about calming and stress signals until recently and am only now beginning to understand what they are and what they mean. I'll never probably understand most of it but I can try my best to learn more.

Some are really obvious and it seems that some on this thread are willfully ignoring them (even when pointed out in fine detail that you can't possibly miss it) because it will make them have to face the fact that CM doesn't understand dog behaviour or how to respond to it, which for some one who in on the tv as a dog expert I would have thought a rather essential ability.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:41 AM
the top agility trainers including the world champ use positive training methods
infact at any show i have been at if anyone tried to verbally correct their dog it tends to loose its confidence and knock a few poles down
also any 'heavy handling' like lead corrections, foot taps or even bad shouting are actually banned at shows

hwtm afaik are all positivr

scarter
im sorry the debate got a bit sideways there but the situation i was talking about ben was doing the obsticle, if you didnt understand calming signals it would look like all was well but i could see he wasnt happy

in the situation you mentioned i just keep going
ben gets spooked by new things sometimes, if there is nothing to fear, he hasnt had a bad association with the thing in the past i let him decide to do it hiself
sometimes if its safe i just drop the lead and walk away
ben decides its more rewarding to be with me and so makes the desicion to go himself, and he is so happy and proud of himself when he has been brave and overcome something

i do that cos i know him and how he will deal in the situation

if it isnt just him being startled or spooked by an unexpected thing but an actual real fear then i deal with that in a way best suited to the situation
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Oh dear whoever set up the course should not have had the Dog Walk at competition level. Dog Walk training starts with the plank on the ground & it is gradually raised.

The example is flooding as the dog wasn't scared of the actual Dog Walk, but was apprehensive of being forced over something he hadn't seen before.

O God !!

Gnasher's sighing, head in hand

I don't give a ff whether or not someone should have had the dog walk at competition level. This was a FUN gathering of Northern Inuits, not a pedigree dog show or an Agility Competition.

My dog in common with most other dogs is perfectly capable of tackling an obstacle that appears to be a bit daunting. With my encouragement and a little time, about 15 minutes or so, he completed the task. My only regret is that I had to leave the course because of someone else coming up behind me, so I couldn't get him through the tunnel. I would have succeeded, but it would have taken time.

BTW, the dog was perfectly fine after this traumatic experience !!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I never knew about calming and stress signals until recently and am only now beginning to understand what they are and what they mean. I'll never probably understand most of it but I can try my best to learn more.

Some are really obvious and it seems that some on this thread are willfully ignoring them (even when pointed out in fine detail that you can't possibly miss it) because it will make them have to face the fact that CM doesn't understand dog behaviour or how to respond to it, which for some one who in on the tv as a dog expert I would have thought a rather essential ability.
My feelings exactly. Great post.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:18 AM
gnasher, not wanting to turn this into a fight but wanted to point this out for anyone else thinking about fun agility

the dogwalk isnt low just so as not to scare the dog, most dogs are pretty happy up there once they figure out its nothing nasty

the reason it should start out low is because it is narrow and dogs have to learn how to place their feet else they can fall off and hurt themselves

it sounds daft but dogs who havent been trained back end awareness tend to forget they have back feet and so can slip, back end first and get badly injured

its the same with the a frame, the dogs can get so excited to get over it if they are not taught how to do it correctly they can take flying jumps from near the top

agility is great fun for both you and your dog, but it has to be controled else it is not safe, and it is v wrong to just let people and dogs have a go with no help
someone should have came round with you to show you how to get the best out of the obsticles
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
We did a 5k fun run with our dogs a few weeks ago. It was a road race primarily for humans but quite a few dogs entered. Half way around there was a steel band to spur on the runners. The dogs were all terrified. My husband and I were running separately - each with a dog. My husband saw that his dog was afraid but just kept running forwards confidently. The dog followed without a struggle. Within seconds of passing the dog's tail was up and he'd forgotten all about the band. I decided not to force my dog to pass something she was afraid of and found a detour. Her tail was between her legs until long after the sound of the band had faded.

We see this situation over and over. If I'm with one of my dogs and they seem afraid of something then I feel concern for them. Whether or not I act on my feelings the dogs pick up on it and it feeds their fear.

My husband on the other hand feels no concern for them. His only thoughts are 'come on - nothing to be afraid of'. And always the dogs move forward with confidence when they're with him.

Every time my instinct would be like Ben's - to take the dog out of the situation and build up it's confidence gradually. But time and time again my husband has proven that his approach (being firm and confident) is better for the dogs. Of course, a lot depends upon the dog in question and the situation. You can't make generalizations about which approach is best.

That's a great post Scarter ... I would defo do what your hubbie did. With both Hal and now Tai, any whiff of fear, angst, concern or worry from me, and they were both onto it. Especially with Tai, he picks up on me being anxious when we meet his bete noire in the pub ... the dreaded black labrador !! Although I was being so careful not to display my feelings, Tai must have sensed the slight tensing of the lead, and my body, because he would start barking at this poor dog every time - it was so embarrassing. When I started to completely ignore the lab, keep striding forward positively, relaxed body posture and lead, Tai totally ignored him. Whilst OH was waiting with Tai at the bar to be served, I handed him the lead and went across to say hello to the black lab, who is a lovely boy. Tai barked, so I shot back to him and said Oi in my best CM voice. He immediately sat down and I went back to the lab. Tai just laid down with his back to the lab and ignored him.

No prong collars, no alpha rolls, no stringing up.

What I did with Tai is the basic technique that CM preaches ... calm, assertive energy, no saying the dog's name, me as boss conveying this message to both dogs, not just Tai. The black lab isn't perfect, he has been known to be very bad mannered too, but not any more. he knows that with me I will not tolerate him jumping up to say hello, or nearly knocking me over when I pass over the water bowl to him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Let me drag this thread in a different direction. Which methods work? Let's look at some competitive dog training and the methods the winners use. I must admit I can't say what many of the top people are using.

I was privileged to attend a seminar on dog obedience put on by Diane Kowalski a few years ago. She is also one of the top free form dancers in the country, http://www.caninehorizons.com/Dances_with_Poodles.html She was teaching us gentle, positive methods in dealing with common problem behaviors.

So do any of you know what methods that say the top agility people use? Flyball? Earthing?

I think the general public needs to be learning the same basic obedience that was presented in the seminar I attended.

Very few people need to deal with ''red zone'' dogs, even IF Milan's harsh methods actually are the most effective.
Good point about the red zoners, Labman ... thankfully. I think actually these are more of a problem in the States than here, because of the way they tend to treat their dogs ... leaving them alone all day in the "back yard" with many of them never been exercised, but left to exercise themselves in these large gardens.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Im at work and dipping in and out, so apols in advance for any offence I may have caused!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
dunno?

but would you discount his practical background (ethics aside).
that's one half of 'qualified', in my book (full pun intended!)
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
whats 'qualified'?
looks like another question/point on this thread im gonna have to chalk up to 'a non reply equals a strike out'.

im chalking up a record here
Page 62 of 125 « First < 12 52 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 72 112 > Last »