Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Some other breeds (GSDs, Rotties, etc.) when in the wrong hands are being bred for "guarding" which involves attacking any strangers. Pit bulls, in the wrong hands, are being bred to be dog aggressive and even fighting pit bulls are often NOT human aggressive.

I find dogs bred to "guard" and toughened up to attack strangers to be far more dangerous than a dog bred to fight other dogs.

That may be so, but they are not banned in this Country.....Pitbulls are!!

I am sure there are some fabulously passive pitbulls bred well and bred to fit into lovign homes,,, if we had that privalagde here than maybe things may be different..

But they are not, they are bred by the criminal to either fight or be a protection dog. so in that, its highly likey they will be more dangerous...
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That may be so, but they are not banned in this Country.....Pitbulls are!!

I am sure there are some fabulously passive pitbulls bred well and bred to fit into lovign homes,,, if we had that privalagde here than maybe things may be different..

But they are not, they are bred by the criminal to either fight or be a protection dog. so in that, its highly likey they will be more dangerous...
But the question is not about their status in the UK. The question is "are they dangerous" and the fact still remains that even when bred by the criminal element, they're still bred to be passive to humans, who have to jump into the ring to get them out without being bitten. Over here in the States many dogs bred for fighting have been successfully rehomed. Some are even therapy dogs, going into schools with kids to help them read, or going to nursing homes or hospitals. These were dogs who WERE bred by criminals to be aggressive to other dogs, yet they're completely passive with people.

Also, just from knowing several people in the UK. There are more of them around than you realize. They just cover it up by calling them one of the breeds that AREN'T banned. They look an awful lot alike and most people can't tell them apart.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

23-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
But the question is not about their status in the UK. The question is "are they dangerous" and the fact still remains that even when bred by the criminal element, they're still bred to be passive to humans, who have to jump into the ring to get them out without being bitten. Over here in the States many dogs bred for fighting have been successfully rehomed. Some are even therapy dogs, going into schools with kids to help them read, or going to nursing homes or hospitals. These were dogs who WERE bred by criminals to be aggressive to other dogs, yet they're completely passive with people.

Thats true, but you also get the criminal who use them as weapons..and aggression to humans is encouraged.

I am not saying they cant be (or some) rehabilitated, I am sure some can.. but regardless the question and the relevance of them being dangerous... one will feed the other here.. as they are banned and are either smuggled in or bred by the wrong type, so statistically , the chance of aggression being the forefront of their breeding will be higher, than if they were bred legally.

Also, just from knowing several people in the UK. There are more of them around than you realize. They just cover it up by calling them one of the breeds that AREN'T banned. They look an awful lot alike and most people can't tell them apart.

As I live here in the UK, I know the extent of the problem only to well.

I also agree with the highlighted..many an innocent dog will suffer under the "pitbull" label.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-02-2010, 07:03 PM
If a dog is aggressive towards humans then we have laws to deal with that.

BSL makes a criminal offence out of looking a certain way. It's got nothing to do with aggression. It doesn't reduce the banned population and it doesn't reduce dog attacks.

Bullbreeds are, by nature, people-focused and easily biddable. Guarding and herding breeds are more reactive and more easily raised to present a danger to people than bullbreeds. I don't mean that bans should be extended to guarding and herding breeds but that the notion that pit bulls represent a special class of risk is just not supported by any data or logical argument.

I am sure there are some fabulously passive pitbulls bred well and bred to fit into lovign homes,,, if we had that privalagde here than maybe things may be different.
Careful, Jackbox!

(That's awful close to saying that things would be better without the ban)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd like to say (very quietly) that I know a couple of pit bulls (ahem!), just about as close to APBT or American Staffs as you could get. I'd rather take my chances giving them a cuddle than a lot of the legally owned dogs round here. I'd like to echo some of the other statements too that a lot of herding and guarding breeds pose far more of a risk to humans than bull breeds, which sometimes are only a problem with other animals (and even then not always).
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats true, but you also get the criminal who use them as weapons..and aggression to humans is encouraged.
but those nasty sick people will use any large breed, not just pit bulls. that programme... 'my choice of weapon is a dog' or something along those lines, showed many people with legally owned breeds who they trained to show human aggression, and one guy actually taught his rottweiler to attack so it is clearly not just pit bulls who that can happen to.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Let me try and get my head around what your sayin here jackbox.

Are you saying that as a breed the pitbull is not dangerous but the lines we have here are?

Also i can agree that some people will be attracted to them just cos they are banned but im VERY atracted to them andits not just for a status dog. I just would really love to own one
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
If a dog is aggressive towards humans then we have laws to deal with that.

BSL makes a criminal offence out of looking a certain way. It's got nothing to do with aggression. It doesn't reduce the banned population and it doesn't reduce dog attacks.

Bullbreeds are, by nature, people-focused and easily biddable. Guarding and herding breeds are more reactive and more easily raised to present a danger to people than bullbreeds. I don't mean that bans should be extended to guarding and herding breeds but that the notion that pit bulls represent a special class of risk is just not supported by any data or logical argument.

Careful, Jackbox!

(That's awful close to saying that things would be better without the ban
)

Mmmmmmmmmm, not sure I have ever said it wouldn`t be, but the facts are they are banned and as such are bred by then not so desirable, so in that respect , they will have a poorer start to life , than any of the guarding breeds you have mentioned.

And by the way, I would also like to add, that I would not like to see some of these primitive guarding breeds become popular here either.........otherwise we may see the same situation arise ,, the wrong type owning a dog for its reputation.

Just so you don't think I am pitbull biased

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but those nasty sick people will use any large breed, not just pit bulls. that programme... 'my choice of weapon is a dog' or something along those lines, showed many people with legally owned breeds who they trained to show human aggression, and one guy actually taught his rottweiler to attack so it is clearly not just pit bulls who that can happen to.
No its not just pits that fall into the wrong hands, but those other breeds are legal here, so its rather a moot point, I don't think I ever said the situation was clear cut or an easy one.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Are you saying that as a breed the pitbull is not dangerous but the lines we have here are?

Also i can agree that some people will be attracted to them just cos they are banned but im VERY atracted to them andits not just for a status dog. I just would really love to own one
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

24-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post

Just to make it clear for you,

What I am saying is... that the pit bull if well bred will be as less likely to be dangerous than any other breed.

But, given they are a breed/type , that has been smuggled in across the continent through Ireland, for the purpose of the fighting rings..(generally) on would assume they have been bred from fighting stock, not pet stock.

So given the heritage of them, then the lines will be from dubious breeders.

Unless of cause you know of good reputable breeders who are breeding a well bred dog to fit into society and family life...

Oh but then, they would be breaking the law would`t they!!

I have no problem with the dog, they are a fine looking breed, but tell me this, would you if you found the above type of breeder , (reputable) would you buy a dog from them, given they are still banned.
Page 61 of 132 « First < 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 111 > Last »