Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Looks to be going past the dog's side to me?
DITO, looks more of a blocking motion to me, his body posture is backwards not leaning in for a good strike,

I use a stick all the time when seperating the sheep, I hope some nutter photographer aint waiting in the wings with there camera...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
DITO, looks more of a blocking motion to me, his body posture is backwards not leaning in for a good strike,

I use a stick all the time when seperating the sheep, I hope some nutter photographer aint waiting in the wings with there camera...

It wall be in tomorrows Telegraph " Princess Anne, takes swipe at passing sheep"
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Shona - you're right, that photo you posted is very different.

Spot, I'm not sure about that photo... it's difficult because of the pixelation but I'm not sure if the stick really has disappeared behind the dog's head or if it's the pixelation that makes it look that way.

It does look to me like it's come from above down the dog's right hand side, quite possibly aiming to strike the ground next to the dog to scare it off.

As you may have noticed, the first photo I said it looked like the intent was to strike the dog so I'm in no way biased but I think the pixelation in this photo has made it more difficult to see - I don't think that stick hit that dog - at least not in that photo.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Shona - you're right, that photo you posted is very different.

Spot, I'm not sure about that photo... it's difficult because of the pixelation but I'm not sure if the stick really has disappeared behind the dog's head or if it's the pixelation that makes it look that way.

It does look to me like it's come from above down the dog's right hand side, quite possibly aiming to strike the ground next to the dog to scare it off.

As you may have noticed, the first photo I said it looked like the intent was to strike the dog so I'm in no way biased but I think the pixelation in this photo has made it more difficult to see - I don't think that stick hit that dog - at least not in that photo.
I think the photos have been taken so far away, that the angles are very difficult to see, Im not an expert on photography, but I would think from a long way off, you could make it look like someone is standing very close to someone else, but in reality they are a fair distance away,
maybe someone on YOP could give us a better insight?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Very good point. And just to throw the cat among the pigeons (at the risk of going off topic) as it was mentioned in the hunting thread, the anti field sports movement seems to be just as much about anti-upper class as anti-cruelty.

Yes totally agree, and I wonder how much of that is involved in this subject.

The last photo posted looks like P Edward has taken a swing at the dog.. whether the intent to hit or distract.. is all down to interpretation... as from the replies to this post shows, there are a fair few different ones .

Lets be sensible about this... the pic is of a bloke, with a shotgun in one hand.. and anyone who has held one will know how heavy they are... in the other is his walking staff... what it must be at least 4/5ft tall... anyone who uses a walking stick will also know the feel of them.

Now you get two dogs fighting, one owner running towards then, waving his stick around, shouting and at the same time keeping a hold of his shotgun.

Now correct me if I am wrong , but you would have to be one hell of a strong brute to be able to wield enough strenght behind the blow (if it connected) of that staff, while holding onto your gun , with the other ,to warrant any damage to the behind of one very well covered Lab.

By the time the staff had been swung it would have lost all the memento of strength behind the intended blow... that is ofcause , it made contact.

But I guess , we will all see what we want to see..

To me, it is an owner using whatever needs necessary to break up a fight.. to others it is an excuse to have a go at the royal family ..

Spot ,mentioned the skinhead with he Staffie... if the scenario was the same, I would have the same view.. if a different scenario, I may have a different one...

I think i remember a few yrs ago, one of the royal family picking up two terriers who where scrapping, and throwing them into the lake....

Again you use what you need to use at that moment in time to stop a squabble.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I have to say whilst I know that walking sticks can be heavy (and I'm sure a member of the royal family could afford a good solid one!) and a good strong blow could damage a dog I have to think of it this way.

I'm not one to condone hitting any animal however even IF he did...
He had two dogs who went for the same bird
They started a fight between themselves
These are dogs he spends a lot of time with on a regular basis - his companions
He probably knows, through experience that fights over a valued resource can turn nasty
Most of all - he doesn't want them to tear each other to shreds!

So... if he did hit the dog, is it any worse than what the dogs would've done to each other?

Personally I don't condone it but lets face it - far worse happens and the only reason this has caused such hoo hah is because of who he is.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I have to say whilst I know that walking sticks can be heavy (and I'm sure a member of the royal family could afford a good solid one!) and a good strong blow could damage a dog I have to think of it this way.

I'm not one to condone hitting any animal however even IF he did...
He had two dogs who went for the same bird
They started a fight between themselves
These are dogs he spends a lot of time with on a regular basis - his companions
He probably knows, through experience that fights over a valued resource can turn nasty
Most of all - he doesn't want them to tear each other to shreds!

So... if he did hit the dog, is it any worse than what the dogs would've done to each other?

Personally I don't condone it but lets face it - far worse happens and the only reason this has caused such hoo hah is because of who he is.
well said
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6