Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 08:31 AM
]QUOTE]Hi
You have done the health tests for your bitch and I hope you take minihahas post on board.....but if you can honestly say you are doing this for the right reasons then I hope the following can answer your question
YES it is possible for a bitch to conceive with a slip mating (no tie)
A bitch can conceive from verey early on in her season to quite late...I have heard of mating being successful from day 9 to day 22.
The fact the dogs will not tie will not reduce the no of puppies.If sperm has reached the eggs then the only factor is the quantity of eggs released by the bitch.[QUOTE]

Well said- im glad someone more knowledgeable than me answered it correctly!!
venus
Dogsey Junior

17-12-2008, 10:18 AM
so which stud dog are you using? I hope you realise that even the best breeders who are using a champion sire or dam are finding it really hard to sell their pups, these breeders at one point would've had a waiting list. I hope you will do the decent thing and if you cannot find homes for the pups you will keep them yourself and not wash your hands of them and allow them to go into a rescue centre?
I hope you also have thought about if your bitch needs a ceaserean (sp) as this will cost a few hundred pounds if it goes wrong. Breeding is such a hard thing to do, as people have said look at rescue, maybe you want to contact stafford rescue and have your eyes opened to the amount of staffords who are looking for forever homes.
Can i ask why you are breeding are you keeping one out of the litter yourself?

Angela.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Ditto everything Archer said.

Some of the replies you have received have been a little harsh but, with the breed that you are talking about, alot of it makes very good sense. I am not anti-breeding at all, so long as it is done responsibly and the Breeder has the time, space, committment and funds to see the puppy through its whole life, if necessary. I think that everyone should have the right to buy a puppy; not feel that they have to put the world to rights by getting a rescue dog. I personally would not want a dog from a rescue centre with having children and small dogs. I would want a dog where I could meet the parents and 'study' the Breeder as well as complete support and advice from said Breeder. I just think that the Staff market, so to speak, is flooded at the moment and (if it's not too late and your bitch is already pregnant) I would leave her to her next season.

I think I have already said this on this site, on another thread; my Cousin bred her Staffie last year (both dog and bitch owned by her, all done very responsibly, health testing, etc). She found it an absolute nightmare to sell the pups. Not because there was a lack of buyers but just the lack of 'decent' buyers. It is a hard breed to find responsible owners for (going by what my Cousin encountered). You have to be prepared to take on 'the Public' which is not always easy. My Cousin had one of the pups returned a few days after he left (at just over eight weeks) because he was 'nipping' her kid. She thought he might be an aggressive Staff Of course, my Cousin gave her a full refund and was happy that one of her babies wasn't ending up with such an idiot!

Good luck with whatever happens If your girl is pregnant, I would start looking for very good homes for the pups asap.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 05:37 PM
''She was clear obviously or i would not be trying to breed her. I am not a breeder yet this is her first season that she is ready to breed and i came on this site for help from people i thought that would be on here to help. It isnt up to me to carry on the line but i want to because she is a brilliant dog and anyone that has one of her puppies is going to get a really good dog. I am sorry if you dont like the fact that i am going to breed her but its not going to stop me, I have tryed to answer your questions and have respected your views so please dont make me out to be a bad breeder as you know nothing about me.''

this part of the quote worries me. if every dog owner thought this then we would have a homeless dog problem that was completly off the scale.

this is why i thought you were being irresponsible.

please enjoy your dog for what she is.

DONT BREED.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 06:14 PM
unfortunately, even breeders that HAD list are stuggeling, litters of puppies are now being dumped at rescue centers because their waiting list people have pulled out, puppies ARE available at rescue centers, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for breeding more staffie puppies when so many are already available.

edited to add, if you knew you were going to breed, then I would have thought that anyone that was serious about doing the "right thing" would have done tonns of research BEFORE the mating, the fact that you have come on here asking a very basic question about breeding AFTER mating your bitch indicates to me that this mating has been taken very lightly with absolutely no thought for the bitch, the dog, or any possible pups, I think it would be a good idea to get your head down and do some research into breeding/welping/possible hand rearing of pups because if she is pregnant you now have less than 63 days to get your act together to give any pups and the mother the best possible assistance for their survival.

mo
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 07:03 PM
You obviously don't have a clue, please stop this for your girls sake,it really isn't healthy ...
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a rescue Staffie and I really, really resent what you said. That is putting it mildly as I don't want to get banned.

She was rescued from an irresponsible breeder but despite what humans have done to her in the past, with training, patience and love, she has turned out to be a wonderful dog. It wasn't her fault she didn't get these things in the first place and it says a lot for her heart that she was willing to forgive humans.

I am extremely angry with what you wrote because if reading it puts one person off taking on a rescue Staffie you have done real harm before you even breed. It shows ignorance of the breed and the work that rescues do to judge temperament and match a dog with a prospective owner.

I think you are being irresponsible when there are so many Staffies in rescue, if you do some research you will see page after page of them waiting for homes.

That's all I am going to say on this because you have made me really angry.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:19 PM
According to your profile this is your first dog, you've never shown her and with respect with such a short time in the breed, you wouldn't have a clue regards breeding, what dog to put her to, whether she is a good example of the breed. If your breeder where you got her from was responsible she would be advising you, which from your posts I guess they're not. I've been in BC's for 7 years now and am still a learner even I regularly show and judge them. You got your dog as a pet not as a show dog. Do the kennels where you got her from show? Health tests only show you so much on certain areas of the dog. The dog however can be healthy but still not a good example of the breed. I'm not suggesting yours isn't but you lack the experience. Who are you breeding her to, a neighbours dog as rarely is the perfect dog on your doorstop and you would always travel to the dog.
I'm sorry if peoples tones are not positive but at the end of the day your dog has not proved herself in the showring to warrant you deciding she's a good example of the breed. If you want to put something back into the breed get a list of reputable breeders and put your puppy people in touch with them.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I have said this before but have to say that I really don't agree that a dog has to have been in the ring to be proven as a good example of the breed.

If you study and research the breed standard of the dog you are thinking of breeding, as well as health test and have a Mentor, a good Vet, find a stud with complimentary breeding to your bitch and speak to many reputable Breeders of your chosen breed, are willing to take on the responsibility for any puppies produced for the rest of their lives, I don't see why you should need to have had either sire or dam in the ring to prove themselves! Just because a dog hasn't done well in shows, doesn't mean it isn't a good example of the breed. There is an awful lot of political stuff that goes on at these shows.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I actually think by saying have the dog go to shows and assessed is a fair one, many dog owners are blind to the faults of their own dogs and by having them assessed (yes I know dog shows can be political and face placing takes place) but not every judge you go under is that way inclined, and to get your dog assessed and seeing if it gets placed give you an indication wether you are in fact going to breed from a dog that is structrually correct to that breeds, breed standard, so I will continue to say show the dog before breeding, I beleive the OP has already decided that their dog is of breeding material, I dont beleive the OP has a mentor and due to the fact that the OP started the thread with a very basic question AFTER the fact indicates to me that all this advice is too late, hopefully the bitch is NOT pregnant and the OP takes note of the advices given and applies this next time they decide to breed or hopefully not breed.

Mo
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >