Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Morning all, thanks for all the sound advice. I have looked into the Flyball (now I know what it is lol ) There is a club not too far from me in Knutsford so will go and have a look. fingers crossedkxxx
Sounds good, I am sure if you get him enroled, he will enjoy it. All good fun xxxxxxxxx
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I have only just seen this thread, he is a lovely boy but a typical teenage hooligan He is also finding his own job to do because he doesn't have one. Yes you are playing with him but that isn't a job.

Teach him to help you round the house, fetch named items like the remote, phone etc. Unload the washing maching and put them into the basket. The more you teach him the better he will be. There isn't enough in games for him, he has the clever Collie brain, I wish you luck with that.

Crate him when he is on his own for his safety, he could choke on something when you are out as he is destroying it. If this happens there isn't anyone there to help him.

Agility and flyball will do him good as well as anything you can teach him. Tricks will help, 5 high, roll over, play dead etc also heelwork to music.

Looks like you are going to be very busy
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Looks that way yea lol. If I taught him to fetch the remote he would probs eat it (only kidding) but some lovely ideas
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Two of mine do jobs Hun...

Skye always see to the small furries in the garden, she opens the cage, I feed them, she puts them away at night and pushes the cage door too.
She fetches the letters (although I have to take them out of the box) but she has them off me and carries them through.
She fetches all the leads, and my wellies.

Bruce, he gets all the dishes off the bottom shelf when it's thier meal time, in the grden he comes into his own I dig he helps....ok I may not want that hole just yet, but it's there waiting to be planted up.

Skye loves to collect the twigs when i am pruning the shrubs or trees. Bruce has just started doing that ....although his aim of getting them into the green bag are no where near as good as Skye's, but he trys.

Reah, well Reah seems to think her job is to keep the chairs warm for when we sit down

Have fun Hun with your ''brainbox''
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Im going through something similar at the moment Tilly will pull things out from everywhere and destroy them. She can find anything and everything including the carpet. I have separated her off in the living room at night but she can still chew the carpet. Have ordered a crate to keep her out of mischief
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by HannahCB View Post
Im going through something similar at the moment Tilly will pull things out from everywhere and destroy them. She can find anything and everything including the carpet. I have separated her off in the living room at night but she can still chew the carpet. Have ordered a crate to keep her out of mischief
Oh just noticed you have a Newfoundland I want one soooo badly I think they are the sweetest dogs. Gentle giants. There soooo expensive though . You know something? I even dream of them. Am I weird or what?
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I would definitely try a crate. He may feel more secure in there with a stuffed kong to chew.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi just a thought..

Maybe have a look at the content of the food that he is having? He may be getting the doggy equivalent of giving a hyperactive child a bag of skittles

My friend had to keep an eye on the protein content of what her BC had as it made her 'more' hyper!

Also agree with the mental stimulation... the more physical exercise they have the fitter they get, I have learnt by bitter experience on that front
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Ben has been on Iams (dont have a hissy fit) I have been through all that before lol. He is on it because that was what he was used to at the rescue centre and it seems to suit him.. I am on the look out for an alternative but so far I have not seen anything yet. Thought I had just found one Harringtons but I have just checked and it has maize in it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Id say feed him raw (recommended to my BC friend by our trainer - sophie the BC was on BAKERS!! )

I give my monster Nutro/raw but he will occasionaly have James Well Beloved wet stuff or other wet stuff that doesnt have anything artificial in it (EC approved or otherwise!)

I spend a lot of time hawking around the reduced section in asda of an evening and he gets whatever is reduced!

hes got a bit of a thing for asda smart price mince right now (got a load of it for 20p a pack the other week)
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >