View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Birmingham dogs home don't do home checks, as far as I'm aware they rarely have. They do ask lots of questions usually including about the home, other dogs & work hours.
Since they've been taking from the pound in Solihull they seem to be constantly full & often I think its rehome or PTS & they'd rather rehome. Saying that they're very busy & don't spend long assessing the animals. When I fostered a GSD that my rescue had taken on from there as they were full to bursting they said she was quiet shy & withdrawn.True, & she also had kennel cough, but within two days she was feeling better, bossy, hyper & a typica lGSD puppy. If they'd been rehoming her on her behaviourin there they'd have been totally wrong about her. Fortunately her new owners got to see the true side of her before they got her.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I think a result may of been found.

Patrick and I have (how fortunate) seen them again, BC was on a very long lead, but really not a happy boy.

Anyway I have had a good sit down and a lovely chat to the old couple, who bless them, do want him trained, but were to embarrassed to ask in case any training classes, thought that he was too naughty. He came from Birmingham Dogs home around 3 1/2 years ago, they think he was about 1 to 14 months and it was thier daughter that got him for them as thier old dog had died.
She told me that last night they had been speaking to thier daughter and SIL and the SIL has offered to help.
They have taken the number of training classes off me and I have reassured them that all they need to do is be perfectly honest with them about his behaviour.
The old man thinks that they are to blame as they have allowed him to have his own way ( not good with BC) who now has alot of 'bad habits'.

But the best news of all, the Police Dog Man was the one who caught him yesterday and popped into see them this morning, he has offered them his help apparantly the old lady said '''he was a lovely young man' and he is going to call in each day for a while to help Ferguson (Hubbies name) and me sort him out with exercise and mental stimulation. As he his bored.

Here's hoping they do.....I have given them my telephone number if she needs to chat

They don't want to give him up as they are very attached to him............so lets hope ''Lofty' (dogs name) gets some mental stimualtion and starts getting on better.
Really great news well done you!!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
brilliant news steph .it a shame ,they obviously love him ,it just the training ,prob be bit firmer with him . if the dog handle ,cant get him right he be better trained than all of ours
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Bit of an update. I haven't spoken to Jaon or her hubby today as my son got married, but I did get a call from the Police dog handler (rang my mob) he has stuck to his word and has devoted his time to Lofty......now he is falling for Lofty and has said that he is a ''Bright boy with alot of go in him'', so he would like to offer Lofty a home with him. Now he is going to take his time to ask (he was asking me if I thought he was shelfish by asking) but that Jaon and Hubby have said ...that they don;t think they can keep Lofty's mental stimulation up and the training, and thought that a older quieter dog is more for them. I am going to speak to them tomorrow, as she has said she is ringing me, so I am going to suggest that Lofty would be better off with the Dog handler......lofty likes the Dog handler too.
Also found out that BDH do not do home checks. So Lofty was probably just homed on the 'say so' of what they were told by the daughter...what ever that was.

Will let you know the outcome, but Lofty would be better suited to Dog Handler as he knows how to ''entertain'' him
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2008, 10:29 PM
That's a much better home. Good news. Well done.
it's true BDH dont do homechecks. Dont agree with that, but they have particular set of circumstances whereby it is made very impractical to do so.
However, lack of homecheck does not automatically equate with lack of proper application/interview process.
Therefore homecheck not being done does not automatically mean that dog was just to given to daugher willy nilly.
Everything is just assumption at this stage.
There have been many assumptions made on this thread, also leaps of logic, but no actual facts.
If someone said to me "our daughter got my dog from BDH for us", that, to me, does ring of the sound of the daughter got the dog and gave it it to them afterward.
Again, i dont know this, it is also just an assumption, but I am applying some logic here, as one would imagine if they got the dog from BDH themselves, surely they would say "we got the dog from BDH"???
Maybe this thread should be re-titled "I blame the rescue or the daughter", as one is no less likely to be culpable than the other. Or maybe the thread should just be titled "wrong dog for wrong owner"?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
The news just gets better and better.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
That's a much better home. Good news. Well done.
it's true BDH dont do homechecks. Dont agree with that, but they have particular set of circumstances whereby it is made very impractical to do so.
However, lack of homecheck does not automatically equate with lack of proper application/interview process.
Therefore homecheck not being done does not automatically mean that dog was just to given to daugher willy nilly.
Everything is just assumption at this stage.
There have been many assumptions made on this thread, also leaps of logic, but no actual facts.
If someone said to me "our daughter got my dog from BDH for us", that, to me, does ring of the sound of the daughter got the dog and gave it it to them afterward.
Again, i dont know this, it is also just an assumption, but I am applying some logic here, as one would imagine if they got the dog from BDH themselves, surely they would say "we got the dog from BDH"???
Maybe this thread should be re-titled "I blame the rescue or the daughter", as one is no less likely to be culpable than the other. Or maybe the thread should just be titled "wrong dog for wrong owner"?
Sorry I have to leave the title, as I know that the daughter got it for them....she went and told them it was for her Mom and Dad......that is fact
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
that's fair enough then. but you hadnt mentioned this before when i had asked several times, hence my points.

pretty bollox all round for the BDH then...i do rehoming for a living.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
that's fair enough then. but you hadnt mentioned this before when i had asked several times, hence my points.

pretty bollox all round for the BDH then...i do rehoming for a living.
The reason I hadn't said anything before ''for definate'' was because I only found out today when talking to the Police Dog Handler, who has been talking to the daughter. But I did say Joan had said 'Our daughter got him for us from BDH' I had no reason to disbelieve her, it was your own assumption that this may not be the case.
I appreciate that you have been looking at things from all angles, but unfortunately it's not an ideal world.....I wish it were But hopefully it will be a ideal out-come. I didn't take the approach of ' that is wrong that you have this dog' because they are really old and I wanted them to come to the conclusion themselves, as I don't want people saying they were bullied them into giving up the dog.
Now by seeing how much work (in just a few days) has been put into this dog ( by the Dog handler not me) they are realising that this is not really a dog they have the
time or energy for. I understand that is what she is going to speak to me about tomorrow, where I will suggest that they let him go to the Dog Handler, who does and wants him as a pet too.

I am glad you do re-homing, it sounds as if you match perfectly, I wish there were more like you.xx Keep up the good work
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2008, 11:38 PM
thanx for that stevie.
although in my profesional experience, 'our daughter got him for us from the BDH' has usually meant someone conning the rescue by applying for a dog with the intention of passing it onto another person as other person would be turned down if they applied themselves. had a few try that on with me, but i sussed them.
Must admit though, felt the thread was running negative on the rescue movement with lots of 'opinions given as fact', which weren't at the time, although you have found out since they now are. Plus other examples, such as the one about the bad homing by the Blue Cross, which wasn't a homing by the Blue cross at all. But simply a number handed out from a list of dogs waiting to come in. We all have waiting lists. That is all they are - lists. The dogs arent ours, have nothing to do with us. Many of them wont even make it into the rescue due to lack of space. So i guess the guy at Blue Cross was just trying to give a poor dog another chance, gotta respect him for that?
If the dog ended up in the wrong home, that's the original owners fault.

I left a rescue due to bad practices, mainly mismatching.

Well done in sorting out the mess though stevie
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >