Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by spot
. Oh yes the industry do put a pittance in to supposedly rehoming retired or injured, one track built new toilets with that money.
I am rather disenchanted with greyhound racing, but, when making this type of statement, you really do need to provide accurate references - as to where, when, why, etc. the re-homing fund has been abused. It is so important that a subject such as this is not seen to be resorting to simply playing on emotions without the necessary corroborating evidence of monies mis-spent.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Spot.
This is certainly NOT my forum, indeed I am a newish member myself, but you must admit its suspicious when people join, then their first post is just to incite arguments and to making slating statements you cannot back up!

Pleas provide the FACTS for your statements regarding the track and the mis-use of funds, as I said, I would like to check that out and I would hope you would want me to!
Dawn.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Gosh this is stil going. I agree with SB, if your gonna state something as fact you really need the evidence to back it up.

It is clear it's something there will always be strong feelings on. I dont think everybody will ever agree. The thing is it is something, like it or not, that is around and will always be. Instead of debating the rights and wrongs perhaps a better idea would be to discuss ways in which to improve the sport and to educate people more. That way people who have spent their lifes involved in this sport with these dogs can carry on and those who are concerned with the dogs welfare can feel better knowing they are working towards helping them out, everybody wins.

Of course you cant change everybody and I think one thing that will have to be accepted is the simple fact that there is cruelty in all walks of life and it's just a fact of life no matter how we strive to change that it will always be something that goes on. Blame Greyhound racing, blame the men that train the dogs.....simple fact is if this sport wasn't here there would still be another we were arguing about, like I said there is cruelty in all walks of life. One thing I still do believe is that generally you only ever hear of the horror stories and not the good which leads me to believe that the good stories will always outnumber the horror.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Quite frankly I would rather you investigated the disappearance of the large amount of hounds each year, the transporting of greyhounds abroad to be raced for a season then shot or hung, the druging of hounds to slow or speed them up, the list goes on. Once again I can only apologies for my first post not being a warm fuzzy one saying how cute my dogs are but its a subject I feel strongly about. If you are suspicious of people joining why have a forum in the first place and if first posts have to be a resume of your life then it should be put in the rules.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Spot, I am sure that most, if not all of us, are aware of the abuses that occur in the dog racing industry. Some of the things that happen are truly apalling & sickening. However, unsubstantiated allegations are just that - unsubstantiated, and they do not do your cause any good. Giving facts and figures backed up by refererences that can be checked will help in presenting the credibility of your case to any who may doubt that the welfare of greyhounds may sometimes be subject to the desire for dollars & glory.

I wish you well in your efforts to stem the abuse that does occur.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2005, 10:32 AM
The Greyhound undoubtedly draws the short staw when it comes to life expectancy, and SPOT is correct in her comments about drug missuse in the industry, mainly flapping tacks, I have done precious little over the years for Greyhound Rescue, sadly it would be different, if the same applied to Staffords.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:36 AM
If they all responsibly looked after their dogs including the racers, retired and injured I wouldn't have a problem with it. Sad fact is the Greyhound rescue centres up and down the country are there because their previous owners didn't do this.

It is very sad, there are many ex-racers who are re-homed by these centres and can make wonderful pets. It is disgusting that they shoot, maim and allow these dogs to die when they could spend the rest of their days being pampered and in a loving home. So sad
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Greyhound racing
Most of the abuse perpetrated by the greyhound racing industry takes place behind the scenes, leaving punters, in general, blissfully ignorant of the suffering this 'sport' causes. Racing greyhounds are not beloved companion animals, they are money-makers for their owners, and after a relatively short life out on the tracks, when they stop earning their keep the vast majority are simply disposed of.

About 25,000 greyhound puppies are registered every year in the British Isles. The number bred is substantially more, but thousands of young dogs are killed because they fail to make the grade as racers. Annually, at least 10,000 greyhounds are 'retired' from racing at an average age of just two and a half, due to injury or because they are considered no longer good enough to race. The fate of only 20% of these animals is recorded. The other 80% effectively vanish. The greyhound racing industry itself admits that 500 - 1,000 retired greyhounds are killed every year but the true figure is, sadly, far higher. Unwanted greyhounds are frequently drowned, poisoned or shot. Others have been found abandoned with their ears cut off to prevent them being identified by their tattoo. Very few are rehomed to adoptive families.

Regular racing is not good for the dogs. It has been estimated that 10% of racing dogs suffer from injuries such as injured toes, torn muscles, strained tendons and arthritic joints. Badly-designed tracks with tight corners that are difficult to negotiate and making dogs run when injured or in bad weather leads to health problems that force them into early retirement - and probable death.

In the USA, six states have banned greyhound racing since 1993.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/sport/intro.htm
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:50 AM
As I have said before, its alright everybody having a dig and saying how bad it is, but NONE of you own Greyhounds (including me!) none of you are reducing the numbers by even one, by taking one in etc... a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

Spot.
You confuse me somewhat, are you sure you don'y already post on here? (and "another")

Why would I want to investigate what people already knows goes on? There are no secrets in the Greyhound industry, just lots of people outside of it, who think its terrible but do little about it! It ok to be all mouth and no action but that won't help any dog will it??!!

It was you that made the sweeping statements about the mis-use of funds, a claim you refuse to back up, why would anyone take anything else you say seriously, when your first post was just to cause trouble?

I dont mean to be rude, and I have no part in the Greyhound industry at all, (unless you count me taking my Terriers there on occasion) but it does annoy me a bit when you get people shouting their mouths off and have nothing to back it up with.
Dawn.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
As I have said before, its alright everybody having a dig and saying how bad it is, but NONE of you own Greyhounds (including me!) none of you are reducing the numbers by even one, by taking one in etc... a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

Spot.
You confuse me somewhat, are you sure you don'y already post on here? (and "another")

Why would I want to investigate what people already knows goes on? There are no secrets in the Greyhound industry, just lots of people outside of it, who think its terrible but do little about it! It ok to be all mouth and no action but that won't help any dog will it??!!

It was you that made the sweeping statements about the mis-use of funds, a claim you refuse to back up, why would anyone take anything else you say seriously, when your first post was just to cause trouble?

I dont mean to be rude, and I have no part in the Greyhound industry at all, (unless you count me taking my Terriers there on occasion) but it does annoy me a bit when you get people shouting their mouths off and have nothing to back it up with.
Dawn.
Well said Dawn.
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »