register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
oh when the Norties are senile delinquents I will take them everywhere in my car They are only 2, so I think they have a few years work left in them. Just got a load of leaflets done for the dog training classes, so Doggone Distribution will spring into action in the next day or so!!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
It's a shame people can't stand by their convictions when it comes to the crunch eh Dawn !

I know the risks and the benefits............ and coment on such, but you don't even have a reason for implying it's cruel.

You don't have a logical reason for them not being used Dawn, you just want an argument............and you have the nerve to call me argumentative
Well malady, if you know the risks, then thats one reason I dont like them, practically all the palces that sell them, plus forums, speak of dogs sides being rubbed, damage to backs if not properly used etc.. but ultimately, I think people should carry their own stuff and not expect their pet too.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
I use them as stated before but, as lot's of people know lot's of thing's are bad in the wrong hand's but my dog's stand and wait for the pack to be put on, I don't weigh them down so they struggle, and only put thing's in them to carry when there customed to using them.
As malady said you have to use them with caution.
http://www.wolfpacks.com/
Nobody is forcing people to like them, some people use choke chain's some people hate them.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Perhaps this will help a little.

Make sure that the dog backpacks you bought will be carried over the shoulders of your dog and not only on the back. This is to prevent back injury.
Obviously to make such a statement, back injuries HAVE occured.

Backpacks must also have some padding underneath if you are planning to hike a mountain.
References to this can be found by a search, sides of the dog rubbed raw etc..

Pack weights should be between 10-20% of the dogs weight - any more can cause injury
Again, its obviously been noted, these injuries, remember folks, to weigh your dog, then weigh what he carries, just 10-20% of his bodyweight!!!

The Backpack is designed to carry heavy loads (but never more than 30% of your dog’s body weight) on long hikes
Seems we have conflicting advice here!! Should we risk injury and try the 30% weight? or not?

All these Malady are just snippets, and are more than ample for me to think they are not a good idea, especially when the manufacturers cant decide how much weight a dog should carry, truth be known, Dogs are not designed to carry backpacks, so they really dont know!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well malady, if you know the risks, then thats one reason I dont like them
So because I know the risks, you don't agree with them !! What a bazarre conclusion !

practically all the palces that sell them, plus forums, speak of dogs sides being rubbed, damage to backs if not properly used etc
Really ? Please direct me to all these places that make such claims !

.. but ultimately, I think people should carry their own stuff and not expect their pet too.
There you go again, making assumptions. NOBODY expects their dogs to do something they don't like,you really are insisting on provoking aren't you ?

We do it because they ENJOY it Dawn, they're not forced to do it, just like they're not forced to pull a sled either, their excitment speaks for itself !

Obviously to make such a statement, back injuries HAVE occured.

Yes obviously, no such thing as taking preventative measures

References to this can be found by a search, sides of the dog rubbed raw etc..

Please post a link or two as there are so obviously so many

Again, its obviously been noted, these injuries, remember folks, to weigh your dog, then weigh what he carries, just 10-20% of his bodyweight!!!

Seems we have conflicting advice here!! Should we risk injury and try the 30% weight? or not?

Larger breeds can carry upto 30%, that is the norm, for heavy work. You have to judge your dog, it's fitness, it's size, age and construction.

All these Malady are just snippets, and are more than ample for me to think they are not a good idea, especially when the manufacturers cant decide how much weight a dog should carry, truth be known, Dogs are not designed to carry backpacks, so they really dont know!!
There are weights there !! So I don't know why you think that Manufacturers can't make up their minds

All you've proved Dawn, is that you have no argument because you have just googled something without giving any evidence to back any of your claims up !

Please post all the links you so obviously have to the evidence of the injuries etc and everything else you claim above.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
You can find them yourself Malady, they arent claims, do you really think manufacturers and retailers will "claim" injuries, if they havent occured? Do you really think warnings are not in place for a reason? If they were safe, say like an apple crumble, there wouldnt be warnings about weight carrying (10, 20, 30% of the dogs weight?? who knows?) would there. It may well be common sense, but they are dangerous things and are totally unessessary, I reckon if you found a safe secure area for your Mals to gallop round in they would be more happy than walking 5 miles carrying weight on their backs, I know mine would.

You can keep on all you like, I dont like them, I think people should carry their own stuff and not make their pets do it!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
We do it because they ENJOY it Dawn, they're not forced to do it, just like they're not forced to pull a sled either, their excitment speaks for itself !
Oh please!!! If you get a dogs lead out he jumps round excited. If you get a dogs halti out (he may NOT like the halti) he gets excited, because he knows he is going out. get a backpack out, the dog gets excited because he knows he is going out. Not because he is pleased to be carrying moms shopping!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Larger breeds can carry upto 30%, that is the norm, for heavy work. You have to judge your dog, it's fitness, it's size, age and construction.
Actually I have to disagree with you both here - not all large breeds can carry this amount of weight, it would depend entirely on their construction, however to be eligible for the WPD title, Mals have to carry a minimum of 30% of their bodyweight - not up to 30%.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I think people should carry their own stuff and not make their pets do it!
What about the dogs carrying their own stuff??
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Actually I have to disagree with you both here - not all large breeds can carry this amount of weight, it would depend entirely on their construction, however to be eligible for the WPD title, Mals have to carry a minimum of 30% of their bodyweight - not up to 30%.
Youre not disagreeing with me GH, its the companies that are selling these things that are quoting this stuff, it seems it them that dont know what a dog should carry, which is a shame, as its the dog that will ultimately suffer, if anything was done wrongly.
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »