View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

24-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Housedog
My two dogs are overly friendly towards people sometimes, I may have given the wrong impression in some posts, that I sculk about in remote places with my dogs, almost everyone where I live know my dogs, my present two have never had an altrication with any other dog, but life has taught me not all owners are responsible, and I am fed up to the back teeth of turning a corner to be greeted" if that is the correct term" by some bouncing canine, with it's owner calling " It's all right he just wants to play" he may well do, my dogs certainly do not. Many years ago I learned my lesson with my own two bitches, for two years everything was fine until the day Briuser came of age and no longer gave way to Kizzy, they fought very hard and it took all my strength to seperare them, from that day on Bruiser could not be allowed near other dogs off lead. The love of fighting is an integral part of the Stafford and anyone ignoring this does so at their own risk and that of others. They are the best dogs in the world in my opinion, they deserve the best owners, and those are ones who know the breed intimately, and are totally aware of all the breeds traits.
Really good post housedog. You clearly know your dogs, their capabilities and their limitations. Very reassuring, if only al dog owners not just Stafford's had the same common sense attitude

Stan

Stan
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 12:55 PM
good points stan - I have to agree, at the end of the day a dog is a dog - albeit a domesticated one - but still has dog thoughts and notions.... ( unfortunately humping being one of them where mine is concerned - he has failed to realise I am not a dog !!! )

Anyway - I digress - I wanted to pick up on the Children being scared of dogs due to their parents actions - totally agree. My auntie is scared of dogs as was bit by one whilst young - however now both her grown up daughters(my cousins) are also scared and used to cross the street when one was coming -
3 years ago my cousin worked for a fashion label down south whose owner had a rottie in the office - needless to say my cousion was quite worried !! Now she sits with bruno on her lap ( also dogs seriously pick up on vibes - he always goes to sit with her but never tries to hump her or does anything to scare her)...

She just needed positive dog love !! She spent her whole childhood screaming when dogs came close and now she really likes them - all from one lump of a rottie that she had to put up with to keep her job !!!

I get very annoyed when adults pull their children away from bruno in the street as I as a responsible owner would not allow him to be near them if he was in anyway a risk to them. i always stop and ask if they would like to pet him or give him a biscuit if I can when this happens !!! Then perhaps they wont be infulenced by their parents!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I think some really good points have been raised here Owners should always be aware of what their breed was bred to do, and what they are capable of.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by bobbie3917
no im not saying that at all mine are often walked off lead as you have seen by my pic what i am saying is that although Leo and Grace as great with others dogs i dont give them or the other dog a chance to prove me wrong.
i have friends that bring there dogs over for a play but if for any reason they are on there own even for a few mins they are not left together.
how many times have you heard that 2 dogs that have lived togethere for xx years loved each other and cried when parted have tried to kill each other at 1 point. this happend to a friend of mine in Aus that had mother and daughter and 1 day the daughter tock her mother on after living happly together for 3 years. this happend when no 1 was home and they had free run of the house and the younger staff had to be pts as her mother had damaged her back leg to baddly
I agree completley Natalie. I think you should always be on guard. Whilst Cassy will not go out looking for a fight if another dog starts one she will finish it and for that reason alone I like to keep her on a lead. Its not always about your dog starting things its about what your dog is capable off should another start......common sense really.

Laura
SheWolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Charliefarley
It is illegal to own one here in the UK along with 3 other breeds

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welf...estic/dogs.htm

alright then.

Um...even the dogo!?
tsss... but they are also lovely!
I will never move to the UK now...
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2005, 10:47 PM
two of my nephews and one of my neices all are my brothers kids are absoloutely petrified of max! my brother and his wife dont do the outdoors be it gardens mud slugs spiders or any animal they are complete wimps and if they see my kids in their dog walking coats and wellies covered in muds they have a look like they have poo under their nose! unfortunately for their children they are absoloutely terrified of anything non human even my 3 legged cat and ancient guinea pig! it cant be good for kids to be that scared of something?
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Laura
I agree completley Natalie. I think you should always be on guard. Whilst Cassy will not go out looking for a fight if another dog starts one she will finish it and for that reason alone I like to keep her on a lead. Its not always about your dog starting things its about what your dog is capable off should another start......common sense really.

Laura
thats what i was trying to say
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 09:54 AM
The other thing I meant to add to that post was also, should another dog instigate a fight and yours ends up involved it only ever results in bad press for our breed, no matter who started it the Stafford is always potrayed as the bad one.
reggie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2005, 11:49 AM
i have 2 staffs and when im over the park or the feilds as soon as someone sees my dogs there puttin there dog on a lead straight away.before i used to just swollow it but now i approach the other dog owner and ask them out right why they have done this? id say 99% of the time they say its because youv,e got staffies.i reply with wat does that mean then. then they say well you know there viscious. i say do they look viscious have they come and attacked you or your dog, no? then i give them a piece of my mind and then walk off feelin proud that i have stuck up for the breed were as before i used to go home reeling with anger.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by reggie
i have 2 staffs and when im over the park or the feilds as soon as someone sees my dogs there puttin there dog on a lead straight away.before i used to just swollow it but now i approach the other dog owner and ask them out right why they have done this? id say 99% of the time they say its because youv,e got staffies.i reply with wat does that mean then. then they say well you know there viscious. i say do they look viscious have they come and attacked you or your dog, no? then i give them a piece of my mind and then walk off feelin proud that i have stuck up for the breed were as before i used to go home reeling with anger.
No offence, but I don't think thats the right way to go about it!
You are still giving the Staffy owners a bad name by 'giving them a piece of your mind', and walking off!

Act nice, and show them your dog is friendly!
How about asking if their dog is friendly, if so, tell them yours is, and ask would their dogs like to say hello to yours!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >