View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Josefine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Maybe the vet was norwegian (joking of course)
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 06:50 AM
I always dislike the implication (not by anyone here) that if you are responsible in your ownership of a dog, there is no need to have them neutered. This is not always the case.

We had Hudson castrated because we got Delta. I wanted a bitch and I have no way of making sure that they are seperated during her season. Hudson is not a dog that I would want to use for breeding (if I were to ever think about breeding) so there was no point in putting him through hell once every 6 months. I was perfectly capable of preventing Hudson from escaping and running amok if there was a bitch near by, but the in house situation meant I needed to make a decision.

Delta has not been spayed ...she had no problems during her first season (apart from boredom ) so, at the moment, there are no plans in that direction. This may change as she gets older, I don't know

I think that everyone has to weigh the pros and cons in their own situation and then come to a decision
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Teagan had 'everything' taken out in her spay!
Yep my Rosie did too..............by then again my vet was Maria Lowe, from Viking Vets, but she did her training here in the UK

My personal choice is not to spay, yes we have an entire dog here, but never had problems with him when the girls (4 of them) are in season. We are just extra careful. But saying that, if any problems arose, like recently with Rosie, then I wouldn't hesitate!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Star got everything taken away too when she was spayed.
Josefine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Hmmm...Are you sure there wasnt any medical reason to remove the uterus?What I meant was that they only removed the ovarium (its the name for humans, bear with me,I asume its the same for canines????)Just spoke to another vet now,he was trained to remove the uterus,but he said that it was a simpler and easier prosedyre to remove only the ovarium.
To remove only the ovarium makes sense though...
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Rosie had it all removed........she wasn't ill, so it wasn't done for medical reasons, but it's just the way my vet does it...........removes the lot!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Surely everything has to be removed??????
Or am i being stupid - don't answer!
If they don't take out the uterus there's no anti-pyometra effect.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Nothing medical was wrong with Teagan either.
it was a rutine spay, and the vet told me everything had been taken.
I thought that was the way they did it - nothing left to cause problems then!
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 11:17 AM
I want to get Barney done when he's a little older but OH wants to breed from him so we've got a little argument going on at the mo. I personally don't think breeding from him would be a good idea as we don't know enough about it and I certainly don't want any of his puppies ending up in rescue.
We are going to get him hip scored and heamaphillia tested when he's old enough but I really think it would be best to have him done.
We know absolutely nothing about studding so I'd rather not take the risk!

I will win this one!!!!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2005, 11:49 AM
As I said before Saffy was spayed at 6 months, I have seen how Max is with an unspayed dog in heat and he is in such stress, there would be no way I could have kept him in the same house as Saffy. He pants and starts to hyperventilate hes that desperate to mate.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6