Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
OK - one man from Malta.
Still, according to the poster persons that find it strange that dogs that live inside are uncivilised, and those that dont find it strange are civilised.
With the added irony she doesnt think it is has anything to do with culture - then posts an example of this.
So im intrigued if she would say the same thing about 'one man from New Zealand' then, as i'm interested in what inspires her use of the culturally prejudiced word 'uncivilised'.
The poster's dogs live outside????
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2007, 10:44 AM
yes, i noticed. one of my reasons for my question.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 04:13 AM
OK - one man from Malta.
Still, according to the poster persons that find it strange that dogs that live inside are uncivilised, and those that dont find it strange are civilised.
With the added irony she doesnt think it is has anything to do with culture - then posts an example of this.
So im intrigued if she would say the same thing about 'one man from New Zealand' then, as i'm interested in what inspires her use of the culturally prejudiced word 'uncivilised'.

ok who stole the sugar out of your coffee,,,, lighten up a bit, but if we are going to be pedantry about this, no problem.

At no point was the word "uncivilised" mentioned,

the word civilised was however mentioned, now there are several ways to look at this,, one being "civilised", refined: sophisticated. {civil} having the refinement of city bread people: pertaining to ordinary, as apposed to military or ecclesiastical life:

take from that what you will, but it could be read two ways, if you look for the worst sinario,,fine but I think on a forum its often better to try to see the other side, or ask before openly slateing them, as to your statement {quote} "Or do you only reserve your comments for darker foreigners"} sorry its out of order, duno what the chip is you have with it but I can assure you losos has not a bad bone in his body,,

ok losos's choice of words may have been better, sometimes we all tend to use the wrong wording, I know I do, infact recently losos edited a post on a thread I had started as {he/not she must have read it back and thought it looked as though he was having a snip at me} I am lucky enough to know him well enough so the post had not upset me,

take it for what is was,,,,a fleeting statement, surely we dont have to take things to this level, god forbid, but if we were all pulled up on the way we worded things,, I for one would not bother to come on,,, I would constantly be in the firing line, x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
The poster's dogs live outside????
yes, i noticed. one of my reasons for my question.

Think there is a bit of confusion with this,,, the posters dogs dont live outside, they live in doors, {if refering to the whole statement re: chappy from malta} this post was by sez & amber,,
The OP posters dogs do however live outside,
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
ok who stole the sugar out of your coffee,,,, lighten up a bit, but if we are going to be pedantry about this, no problem.

At no point was the word "uncivilised" mentioned,

the word civilised was however mentioned, now there are several ways to look at this,, one being "civilised", refined: sophisticated. {civil} having the refinement of city bread people: pertaining to ordinary, as apposed to military or ecclesiastical life:

take from that what you will, but it could be read two ways, if you look for the worst sinario,,fine but I think on a forum its often better to try to see the other side, or ask before openly slateing them, as to your statement {quote} "Or do you only reserve your comments for darker foreigners"} sorry its out of order, duno what the chip is you have with it but I can assure you losos has not a bad bone in his body,,

ok losos's choice of words may have been better, sometimes we all tend to use the wrong wording, I know I do, infact recently losos edited a post on a thread I had started as {he/not she must have read it back and thought it looked as though he was having a snip at me} I am lucky enough to know him well enough so the post had not upset me,

take it for what is was,,,,a fleeting statement, surely we dont have to take things to this level, god forbid, but if we were all pulled up on the way we worded things,, I for one would not bother to come on,,, I would constantly be in the firing line, x
That Maltese guy might think it strange but you are the civilised one not him:!
:
See above - therefore the Maltese guy is uncivilised, with an explanation mark .

Indeed, you are right, there are many ways to use the word civilised. Hence my question

If Losos just meant it the social refinement manner, then that's better than the racial way some people often use these terms. Be nicer to hear it from the horses mouth though.

However, the irony still sticks. He says its nothing to do with culture, then makes a cultural critique. Odd.

I'm genuinely curious why descriptions of civility have anything at all to do with it
Uncivilised people are described as barbaric and savage.
Which isnt exactly a compliment.
Besides, it works both ways. I could just as likely see the Maltese guy turning round and seeing how uncivilised we people are having "dirty smelling dogs inside our houses"
(Not my opinion)
So, like I said, its just a cultural issue, and neither is right and wrong.
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Think there is a bit of confusion with this,,, the posters dogs dont live outside, they live in doors, {if refering to the whole statement re: chappy from malta} this post was by sez & amber,,
The OP posters dogs do however live outside,
With our two, they have the choice of where they sleep, in winter it's often too hot for them inside so they will choose to sleep outside, in summer it's often cooler indoors so that's where the sleep
No, Losos keeps his dogs outside and inside. Which Is why I found his comments even odder.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 03:55 PM
:
See above - therefore the Maltese guy is uncivilised, with an explanation mark .

Indeed, you are right, there are many ways to use the word civilised. Hence my question

If Losos just meant it the social refinement manner, then that's better than the racial way some people often use these terms. Be nicer to hear it from the horses mouth though.

However, the irony still sticks. He says its nothing to do with culture, then makes a cultural critique. Odd.

I'm genuinely curious why descriptions of civility have anything at all to do with it
Uncivilised people are described as barbaric and savage.
Which isnt exactly a compliment.
Besides, it works both ways. I could just as likely see the Maltese guy turning round and seeing how uncivilised we people are having "dirty smelling dogs inside our houses"
(Not my opinion)
So, like I said, its just a cultural issue, and neither is right and wrong.

No, Losos keeps his dogs outside and inside. Which Is why I found his comments even odder.

Just taking a stab in the dark here,,,but I would guess,, losos {living where he does } often gets very negative comments about his dogs being indoors, I dont think its the done thing in Chez, hence his response,
Im not going to tie up this thread thought going back and forth over things, thats not what this thread is about,,,x
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Well to put a slightly different slant on this subject. When I took my dobes over to my villa in Spain last year I got some really strange looks and comments from my Spanish neighbours because I would bring my lot in over night, whereas they all leave theirs out overnight. It had nothing to do with being civilised or uncivilised, but all to do the Spanish way of life.

Don't forget we live in a cooler county than Spain, so it just makes perfect sense to them. To be honest my lot would either be by or half in the pool or indoors during the day, and would of gladly stayed out over night because it would be a lot cooler for them.

So what you have got to take into consideration is the counties custom and it's temperatures.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I completly agree Colin
thats the point i've been making all along...its just a cultural matter
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 06:52 PM
My three all sleep in doors Beau and Skye sleep in the kitchen together , and Lady sleeps in the back bedroom , They go outside in the day , i have kennels and a large shed for them to use xxdk
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all replies, cultural or not, my worry is what is best for my dogs!

I did mention it to my vet and he casually remarked that dogs that sleep outdoors are healthier .........

its really cold and wet here at the moment and although my two are snuggled up indoors all day they happily hop off the couch at night and into their kennel - i can only judge by their wagging tails as they saunter into the kennel that they are (at the moment) quiet happy out there - cant honestly say that i am though!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >